Director of Project Management & Facilities
PRINCIPLE PURPOSE OF POSITION
To identify facilities renewal and replacement needs, cost estimating, project scheduling and project management. Manage the day to day operation of the Facilities Maintenance Department, providing hands on supervision to assigned staff of technicians. Assuring that timely and professional methods are followed in the daily operation of all maintenance, repair, and renovation needs of all facilities both academic and residential. Providing an environment which is aesthetically pleasing, safe, healthy and conducive to the living and learning environment and which enhances the teaching and research functions of the Institution.
- Participates in the planning of new construction and makes recommendations to help assure that new facilities can be maintained in a cost-effective manner including but not limited to materials, design and system technology.
- Assures a competitive bid process when soliciting for various services.
- Prepares cost estimates and conducts feasibility studies.
- Assist the AVP for Facilities Management with coordination of space management and planning activities including: Information gathering and support for space allocation decision makers; analyzing moves for minimal disruption; move coordination; space inventory; space allocation tracking; specifying set-ups; maximizing space utilization; providing input into facilities renewal model; and capital plan implementation (as assigned);
- Establishes, recommends and implements upon approval, Physical Plant policies and procedures relevant to the efficient utilization of the department’s human and fiscal resources.
- Monitor routine maintenance services completion (trash, utilities, custodial, pest control, long term preservation, inspections, grounds, landscapes, alarms, systems & equipment), suggest metrics, monitor and report related trends; perform condition assessments on appearance, equipment, or troubleshooting, analyze results and decide status. Responsible for the timely completion of all issued work orders and maintains up to date files on work order back log.
- Communicates delays in work order progress to the requestor and the AVP of Facilities and does so when potential delays in completion are made known.
- Maintains and promotes a high level of Quality Control throughout all areas of your responsibility.
- Operates within budget parameters as set forth by the department’s AVP.
- Maintains an accurate database/spreadsheet/records related to facility deficiencies/deferred maintenance and updates records quarterly. Keeps AVP apprised of known deficiencies.
- Operates at a high level of both personal and professional integrity.
- Ensures preparation and submission of all payroll information and maintains pertinent records and assists in resolution of discrepancies.
- Assures all work is processed in a timely fashion to effect responsiveness to “customers”.
- Develops specifications and negotiates contracts related to maintenance material, equipment and contractor services.
- Assures appropriate scheduling of personnel and the coordination of services both inter and intra-departmentally.
- Provides support services to the Public Safety Director for the operation and maintenance of Fire and Burglar alarms and assures timely response of personnel as dictated by circumstances that may arise.
- Assures the timely and cost-effective delivery of maintenance, operations and renovation services involving “in-house” trades.
- Assist the AVP for Facilities Management in identifying and establishing preventive maintenance plans; coordinate & integrate utility usage/optimization, analyze date and provide recommendations; identify, recommend & implement building operations & process modifications to the facility for increased productivity and/or cost reduction; coordinate maintenance logistics (to avoid faculty conflicts, events).
- Assures periodic and appropriate training for all subordinate personnel.
- Performs periodic inspections of work areas and campus facilities and initiates requisite measures to maintain same in accordance with recognized standards of good practice.
- Responsible for identifying unsafe conditions and practices and recommending and/or implementing remedial action.
- Maintains familiarity and strong working knowledge of recognized standards of good practice and relevant governmental codes and regulations related to fire, life-safety, building maintenance, renovation and new construction.
- Conducts performance appraisals of subordinates, recommends compensation adjustments based on performance and approves all vacation and sick leave requests.
- Prepares unit’s Annual Plan, executes same as approved and manages unit within budgetary constraints.
- Provides periodic reports on work unit’s performance and any matters affecting the timely implementation of approved plans.
- Responsible for administration and oversight of various maintenance service contracts.
- Responsible for move requirements and service setups.
- Responds to student and other user group’s issues and concerns in a supportive, professional, timely and problem-solving manner.
- Responsible for personal growth and development and encourages subordinate training and development.
- Abides by, and complies with, University policies and procedures.
- Performs special assignments as directed by the Associate Vice President of Facilities Management.
- Other duties may also be assigned.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- BS Degree in facility management, mechanical, electrical engineering, architecture, construction management or related discipline with at least six (6) years of managerial and/or project management experience in facilities management of educational, governmental or commercial building facilities, with a strong emphasis on building systems and operations.
- Demonstrated track record of accomplishment managing plant facilities in a multi-building facility and a strong working knowledge of contemporary maintenance and construction practices required.
- Experience using computerized maintenance management systems desired.
- Must possess and maintain a valid driver’s license and an acceptable driving record.