Linux System Administrator
Linux System Administrator
The Linux System Administrator is responsible for assuring the operational integrity and connectivity of servers, and deploying integrated solutions to solve customer needs and requests.
Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related discipline, and minimum two to three years of experience in server administration. Course work, related experience, and/or demonstrated ability will be considered in lieu of a degree. Candidates must have a thorough understanding of Windows and Linux Server operating systems. Knowledge of C, C++, REXX, Perl, PHP and Java programming languages desired.
- Prepare, install, test and maintain servers including Windows and Linux on all platforms. Assists in support of AIX and other forms of UNIX.
- Develop and maintain applications, backup/recovery, and disaster recovery procedures.
- Monitor security and report potential or existing problems.
- Participate in and provide support for college initiatives.
- Participate in the Open Source community and work with vendors.
- Work closely with Desktop Administrator to develop and deploy integrated solutions to solve customer needs and requests.
- Support Central Authentication Server (CAS) and Lightweight Directory Access Protocol (LDAP)
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned by supervisor.
- Establish and monitor quality control levels for customer services.
- Participate in planning, designing, and implementing client/server-based solutions.
- Direct server performance monitoring and optimization.
- Create and maintain documentation of server configurations, policies, and procedures.
- Assist in problem determination involving client/server connectivity problems.
- Maintain network printing servers, queues, associated hardware and software.
- Research and develop new server-based technologies.
A minimum of three years of experience in troubleshooting hardware and software problems, and knowledge of and experience with networks and networking devices.
About the Department:
As a leader in educational applications of technology, Information Technology (IT) offers students, faculty, and staff access to advanced technologies to help promote a strong sense of community. A distinguishing feature of the Marist education is the manner in which information technology is used in support of teaching, learning, and scholarship. This environment creates a strong applied research culture and includes Marist students as young paraprofessionals, which makes Marist unique within higher education.
Marist IT staff come from diverse career and educational backgrounds. Our community of technologists collaborate to support a commitment to excellence with 80 staff members within 15 departments, more than 200 student paraprofessionals, and a 24/7/365 operation. Effort, talent, and commitment are rewarded and recognized within the division both internally by leadership, and externally through numerous industry accolades and awards. No two days are ever the same while working in IT. With our focus on open-source technology and innovation, we are committed to finding more effective and practical ways to use technology to meet institutional goals.
We are looking for excellence, attention to detail, strong ownership of one’s work, and exceptional problem solving and project management skills. If you are a critical thinker with the ability to solve problems independently and as part of a hard-working team, we welcome your application for the Linux System Administrator position.
Located on the banks of the historic Hudson River, on Fifth Avenue in Manhattan, and at its Florence, Italy campus, Marist College is a comprehensive, independent institution grounded in the liberal arts. Its mission is to “help students develop the intellect, character, and skills required for enlightened, ethical, and productive lives in the global community of the 21st century.” Marist is consistently recognized for excellence by The Princeton Review (Colleges That Create Futures and The Best 385 Colleges), U.S. News & World Report (10th Best Regional University/North, 5th Most Innovative School/North), Kiplinger’s Personal Finance (“Best College Values”), and others. The College is top-ranked for long-term study abroad (#4 in the U.S.) by the U.S. State Department’s Open Doors report. Marist educates more than 5,000 traditional-age undergraduate students and 1,400 adult and graduate students in 47 undergraduate majors and numerous graduate programs, including fully online MBA, MPA, MS, and MA degrees, and also Doctor of Physical Therapy and Physician Assistant programs. To learn more, please visit https://www.marist.edu/about
To learn more or to apply, please visit https://www.marist.edu/careers. Only online applications are accepted.
Marist College is strongly committed to the principle of diversity and is especially interested in receiving applications from members of ethnic and racial minority groups, women, individuals with disabilities, veterans, and persons from other under-represented groups.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER
More searches like this
- Administrative Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Poughkeepsie
- Business & Administrative Affairs Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Poughkeepsie
- Computer Services & Information Technology Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Poughkeepsie
- Technology Administration/Other Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Poughkeepsie