Tenure-Track Assistant Professor, Collection Strategist Librarian - Library Services
Join a vibrant campus community whose excellence is reflected in its diversity and student success. West Chester University (WCU) Libraries invite applications for a tenure-track Collection Strategist to join us in contributing to WCU’s core mission of student success. The Collection Strategist will provide vision and leadership in the development, management and promotion of the University Libraries’ collections, and play a vital role in the future of teaching, learning and scholarship at WCU. West Chester University offers more than 118 undergraduate, 80+ graduate programs and 4 doctoral programs in more than 50 fields of study, and has recently added over 4,000 students to its enrollment. Librarians at WCU enjoy full faculty status, including a 9-month contract, faculty pay scale, and the same tenure/promotion process as classroom faculty.
We are seeking a highly collaborative colleague who is passionate about user-centered and evidence-based collection management. Utilizing data from our collections, the library budget, and our user communities, the Collection Strategist will redefine our collections to best meet the changing needs of diverse learners by aligning library resources with University priorities. Using knowledge of emerging trends and the current research landscape, the Collection Strategist will develop cohesive strategies and policies to acquire resources across university disciplines, programs, and research interests. To promote scholarship across campus and the professional community, the successful candidate will have a strong interest in developing new initiatives and leading innovative projects such as cooperative collection development, Open Educational Resources, Open Access, Scholarly Communication, and membership programs such as Hathi Trust and Center for Research Libraries. The Collection Strategist will lead and coordinate these efforts collaboratively with the subject specialist librarians, Resource Management Team, and other library and campus stakeholders.
West Chester University recently unveiled a new strategic plan, Pathways to Success, which focuses on student success as core to our university mission. WCU Libraries is a key player in supporting student success on campus. The Collection Strategist Librarian will contribute to this mission by helping us make our collections more responsive to the changing needs of our university community.
Responsibilities Collection Strategy:
· Utilize assessment techniques and tools to manage and assess collections data to strategically allocate and prioritize the library budget and resource needs;
- Recommend new initiatives, strategies and policies to meet the needs of our learning community regarding library resources and services;
- Lead a collection development team to collaboratively develop user-centered collection strategies and policies and assess library collections for relevance, impact, and usability;
- Work collaboratively with subject specialist librarians on collection development priorities and initiatives;
- Work collaboratively with the Resource Management Team to ensure discoverability of resources and collections;
- Create data reports for both accreditation processes and national level library reports;
- Serve as a liaison to one or more departments;
- Support students, staff, and faculty via research consultations, library instruction, and workshops. May include evening and weekend hours.
Continuing Scholarly Growth:
- Demonstrates continued professional growth through publications, presentations, professional activities, and other contributions to advance the profession;
- Engages in scholarship that includes research, scholarly, or creative activities required for tenure and promotion.
- Provides service to the library, the university, and the profession through committee work, conference attendance, or similar endeavors;
· Participates in library and university governance (shared governance).
· An earned Master's in Library Science (MLS) or equivalent from an American Library Association accredited institution;
· Experience with collection management in an academic library;
· Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Second masters or advanced degree;
· Strong proficiency with gathering, analyzing and reporting data including relevant software and tools;
- Demonstrated project management skills, leadership, and initiative;
· Proven ability to work both independently and collaboratively in a collegial academic environment;
· The potential to achieve the requirements for tenure and promotion in the areas of librarianship, research, and service;
· Successful completion of an on-campus interview process that includes a presentation;
- Experience with Alma;
· Experience with library budget and acquisitions;
- Experience with reference and instruction in an academic library.
West Chester University offers a competitive benefits package. Rank and salary commensurate with experience. Salary based upon the schedule established by the faculty Collective Bargaining Agreement, see page 8, pay range Q02 for the assistant professor scale. Application materials must include:
1. Cover letter / letter of application.
2. Curriculum Vitae.
3. Names, affiliations and phone numbers of three professional references.
4. Unofficial undergraduate and graduate transcripts (pdf suggested); official transcripts will be requested prior to hire.
Candidates should apply online at https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/wcupa.
Review of applications will begin October 1, 2020 and continue until the position is filled. Applicants must successfully complete the interview process, including a teaching demonstration, to be considered as a finalist.
West Chester University of Pennsylvania offers highly competitive salaries and excellent benefits. The University is part of the State System of Higher Education and is a public, regional, comprehensive institution serving over 18,000 students. The University is located in the city of West Chester, Pennsylvania, 25 miles west of Philadelphia and only a few hours from New York City, Washington D.C. The area is home to world-class libraries, museums and hospitals.
Developing and sustaining a diverse faculty and staff advances West Chester University’s educational mission and strategic Plan for Excellence. West Chester University is an Affirmative Action – Equal Opportunity Employer. Women, minorities, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
All offers of employment are subject to and contingent upon satisfactory completion of all pre-employment criminal background checks.
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Tenured/Tenured Track Not specified Full Time jobs in West Chester
- Professional Fields Tenured/Tenured Track Not specified Full Time jobs in West Chester
- Library & Information Sciences Tenured/Tenured Track Not specified Full Time jobs in West Chester
- Administrative Tenured/Tenured Track Not specified Full Time jobs in West Chester
- Academic Affairs Tenured/Tenured Track Not specified Full Time jobs in West Chester