Academic Advising Coordinator
Academic Advising Coordinator
Job ID: 220447
Location: Statesboro, Georgia
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Coordinate academic advising and monitoring within the College of Arts & Humanities and Liberty Advisement Centers to ensure that proactive and quality approaches are taken with all students' advising needs. Provide professional guidance, consultation, representation and support to University administration on matters, trends, and issues pertaining to advisement and/or retention of students.
- Perform related duties as assigned to support the mission of the University
- Assist with data collection, data analysis, and creation of advising reports
- Design, deliver, and maintain programs and special events aimed at student success, retention, progression, and graduation
- Deliver academic advisement workshops/training sessions for faculty and advisors
- Serve on University and statewide committees as appropriate to facilitate student success, academic operations, and compliance
- Teach first-year experience courses
- Provide leadership and advisement/Academic Affairs representation on committees that address student success through academic policy, advisement, orientation, and enrollment services improvements
- Provide student concern resolution, referral, and/or follow-up
- Manage budget activities for individual Advisement Center
- Keep current on philosophy and trends in academic advising and incorporate this knowledge into advising programs
- Assist in development and implementation of a shared vision and strategic plan for campus academic advising
- Train, manage, and evaluate professional staff and student employees
- Collaborate on design and development of academic components of new student orientation programs
- Make recommendations to Associate Provost and Director of Academic Advising on modifications to policies and procedures that serve to improve student success, retention, persistence, progression, and graduation
- Provide leadership and support for university student success initiatives, including Momentum Year and Momentum Approach
- Make recommendations to improve or modify policies and procedures that serve to improve student success, retention, and graduation
- Consult with departments, colleges, and Office of the Provost to ensure sufficient number of core curriculum and major-specific courses
- Master's degree
- Three or more years of related work experience
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Consistently exhibit engaging customer service
- Navigate web access and email with or without reasonable accommodation
- Proficient with computers and computer applications, including Microsoft Office, Google and e-mail
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively
- Adhere to University policies and procedures to meet Institutional goals and support University's mission for student success
- Demonstrate commitment to inclusiveness by working well with diverse populations
- Effective communication (verbal and written), organizational, project and time management, and human relations skills
Apply Before Date
September 25, 2020
Join Our Team at Georgia Southern!
Georgia Southern is a dynamic university with three vibrant campuses in Hinesville, Savannah and Statesboro serving the communities in Southeast Georgia. As a Carnegie Doctoral/R2 institution, our world-class scholars instruct about 26,000 students in associate's, bachelor's, master's and doctoral level degree programs. Whether you are seeking the charm of a small town, the traditions of a historical/urban destination near the beach or supporting our military service members and their families, Georgia Southern offers its faculty and staff the best of all worlds!
Beyond an ideal location, there is a place for you to work in an exciting environment abounding with opportunities for personal and professional growth. We are steeped in tradition and devoted to academic distinction in teaching, scholarship and service. In 2018 Forbes Magazine listed Georgia Southern, along with 10 other Georgia companies or institutions, as one of America's Best Midsize Employers. Georgia Southern University is passionate about serving our region while preparing our students to be lifelong scholars, leaders, and responsible stewards of their communities and the world.
For more information or questions about a job posting, please contact the Department of Human Resources by phone at (912) 478-6947 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For technical support, please call the Shared Services Center at (877) 251-2644 or email@example.com.
Conditions of Employment
- Georgia Southern University is a Tobacco and Smoke-Free Community.
- Successful completion of background investigation and legal authorization to work in the US prior to employment.
Offers of employment are contingent upon completion of background investigation including a criminal background check demonstrating your eligibility for employment with Georgia Southern University, as determined by Georgia Southern University in its sole discretion, confirmation of the credentials and employment history reflected in your application materials and, if applicable, a satisfactory credit check. Applicants may be subject to a pre-employment drug test.
Offers are made expressly subject to the applicable federal and state laws, to the statutes, rules and regulations of this institution and to the Bylaws and Policies of the Board of Regents (BOR) of the University System of Georgia (USG), which are available for your inspection upon request.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Georgia Southern University provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, religion, age, veteran status, political affiliation, or disability. Individuals in need of reasonable accommodations under the Americans with Disabilities Act to participate in the search process should notify Human Resources: (912) 478-6947.
- Must be able to perform duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Work generally performed in office environment
- Workweek may occasionally extend beyond 40 hours to evenings and weekends
- Occasional travel may be required
Standard and Education
0103120 - CAH Advisement Ctr
Believing that diversity, equity, and inclusion contribute to excellence in the workplace and to the quality of the University's academic environment, Georgia Southern University is committed to recruiting and retaining diverse faculty and staff to support, promote, and serve a diverse student body and promote Inclusive Excellence. Candidates from historically underrepresented groups, whose work furthers the institution's Inclusive Excellence goals, and who bring to campus varied life experiences, perspectives and backgrounds are especially encouraged to apply.
To apply, visit https://careers.hprod.onehcm.usg.edu/psp/careers/CAREERS/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM_FL.HRS_CG_SEARCH_FL.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST_FL&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=39000&JobOpeningId=220447&PostingSeq=1