Director of the First-year Experience and Orientation
Director of the First-year Experience and Orientation
Job No: 496563
Position Type: full-time
Location: Lewisburg, PA
Categories: Student Affairs
The University seeks a dynamic and creative thought leader who is deeply invested in the first-year experience to serve as Director of the First-year Experience and Orientation.
The Director of the First-year Experience and Orientation is a key staff member within the Division of Student Affairs. Reporting to an Associate Dean of Students, the Director of the First-year Experience and Orientation develops, evaluates, and facilitates transition programming grounded in a deep understanding of student development theory and new students' lived experiences. Serving as a bridge between academic and student affairs, the Director works with partners across the University and draws upon national best practices and emerging trends in student transition, retention and engagement. The Director will oversee orientation programs, including the five-day first-year program and fall/spring transfer orientation, coordinate the First-year Reading Program, and create and work with other first-year engagement programs. The Director will also create ongoing opportunities to assist in the academic and social transition and integration of first-year students to the Bucknell community.
The department of Living, Learning & Leadership at Bucknell University provides intentional educational experiences for students that support the academic mission of the University. We are a team of 12 full-time professionals who lead the areas of the First-year Experience, Fraternity and Sorority Affairs, Residential Education, Student Leadership Programs and Housing Services. By centering student learning and affording students the authorship of their own Bucknell experience, we thoughtfully cultivate residential and leadership opportunities to advance individual growth and development. We are committed to diversity and inclusiveness, wellness and personal development. As a team, we challenge ourselves to strive for excellence.
This position requires some evening and weekend work.
Manage and direct all aspects of the Orientation program, including but not limited to:
- Mentor and train student Orientation staff, fostering a strong
sense of community and responsibility with expectations
commensurate to role and experience level (Orientation Assistants,
Orientation Leaders and Orientation Coordinator/Assistant
- Coordinate the recruitment, selection and training of 100+
Orientation Leaders (OLs) and Orientation Assistants
- Design and implement an intensive training program to equip
student staff for their leadership roles during and after the
Orientation program centered in both the program and University
- Oversee fall and spring transfer student orientation, including
collaborating with International Student Services in order to
incorporate international exchange students.
- Coordinate communication to first-year students including
creation and dissemination of both printed and virtual
- Manage the budgetary process for Orientation and first-year
- Assess first-year and transfer Orientation programs in order to
innovate beyond best practices and ensure that the current
programmatic model and offerings assist students in the transition
to academic and co-curricular life at Bucknell.
- Facilitate the integration of first-year students to the
University community by coordinating major campus events designed
to introduce first-year students to university traditions and
create a foundation for developing community. Such events include
Matriculation, Convocation, First-year Reading and First
- Work closely with campus partners (including Academic Affairs,
Residential Education, Residential Colleges and pre-orientation
programs) to create an intentional, collaborative experience for
- Collaborate with staff of pre-orientation programs to provide
coordinated arrival day for pre-orientation program participants
and their families.
- Lead the First-year Reading Program including recruiting for
and convening the First-year Reading committee, soliciting
recommendations and feedback from the campus community, working
with the Provost's office on final book selection, and promoting
ongoing student engagement with the book through various
- Advise the First-year class government, supporting and guiding
their University initiatives and fundraising efforts.
- Organize First Night, collaborating with Alumni Relations to
engage the alumni community and advising the first-year class
officers in the development of their class colors, crest, motto and
- Develop, create and lead first-year initiatives that connect
students to the University and beyond actively seeking campus
partnerships and responding to the needs and concerns of first-year
- Supervise a graduate assistant.
Departmental and Divisional Responsibilities
- Represent the Division of Student Affairs by serving on
- Attend and actively participate in office, departmental and
divisional staff meetings, retreats and trainings.
- Maintain a high degree of visibility and availability to
students, faculty and staff members.
- Manage complex and sensitive issues with compassion and
- Complete other duties as assigned.
- Master's degree in college student personnel, higher education administration, education or a related field
- Two years of professional experience working with orientation and/or first-year students
- Knowledge and a working understanding of student development theory
- Ability to effectively interface with a wide variety of constituents including students, faculty, staff, family members, and community members
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity and inclusiveness
- Ability to work collaboratively across cultures and styles at all levels of the organization
- Effective written and spoken communication skills
- Strong commitment to student growth and development
To apply, visit https://careers.bucknell.edu/en-us/job/496563/director-of-the-firstyear-experience-and-orientation