Postdoctoral position: Elephant Endotheliotropic Herpesvirus (EEHV) vaccine development
We are seeking a postdoctoral fellow to work on a unique and highly collaborative project between Baylor College of Medicine and the Houston zoo. The project involves the study of a newly recognized pathogen for Asian elephants known as Elephant Endotheliotropic Herpesvirus (EEHV), which can cause lethal hemorrhagic disease, particularly in juvenile Asian elephants.
- Refine and implement serological and cell-immunity-based assays towards the evaluation of anti-EEHV vaccines in small animal models.
- Conduct basic immunology and immunological research.
- Conduct reserach with basic skills with molecular biology techniques such as cloning, qPCR, and protein expression, particularly with recombinant vectors.
- Provide occasional backup for EEHV qPCR testing that our laboratory provides to the Houston zoo.
- Work with a diverse team.
- Plan, direct and conduct specialized and advanced research experiments.
- Evaluate and analyze data.
- May establish new research protocols and procedures.
- Summarize research findings and publish results in research journals.
- May be responsible for laboratory operations.
- May supervise research staff.
- Ph.D. and/or DVM
- Experience Level: 0-3 years of experience
- Knowledge and experience with basic immunology and immunological methodologies is essential.
- Basic skills with molecular biology techniques such as cloning, qPCR, and protein expression, particularly with, recombinant vectors, is desirable.
- This research project requires frequent interactions with zoo personnel who manage the care and environment for the elephants at the zoo, so good interpersonal skills, an ability to work with a diverse team, and a general interest in animal health are essential.
Baylor College of Medicine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Equal Access Employer.
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Houston
- Health & Medicine Not specified Full Time jobs in Houston
- Other Health & Medicine Not specified Full Time jobs in Houston
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Not specified Full Time jobs in Houston
- Biology & Life Sciences Not specified Full Time jobs in Houston