Instructional Designer - Two Positions Available
Delta State University
Instructional Designer - Two Positions Available
Position Type: Staff
Department: Office of Information Technology
Posting Number: 201201060
Full or Part Time: Full Time
Tenure/Non-Tenure: Non-Tenure Track
Salary Basis: 12 month
Success in this role requires advanced understanding of digital instructional design, the online education industry and pedagogical trends, and learning management systems, platforms, and environments and their technical underpinnings; ability to quickly comprehend the academic and technical delivery needs of a course or program; ability to manage complex product development cycles and channels of work. This role also requires working with customers and stakeholders to develop solutions involving the use of computer systems, information flow and architecture; resolving and documenting business and user issues. A comprehensive understanding of the course lifecycle, academic environment, and student/customer experience is required.
- Working closely with SMEs (Subject Matter Experts)/faculty and
academic stakeholders, applies advanced professional instructional
design and technology skills to create highly complex online course
designs, map learning objectives / outcomes to create performance
data, apply programming knowledge or use technical tools to enable
delivery of user behavior data related to interactive learning
- In collaboration with the Office of Information Technology
(OIT), Instructional Designers build out finalized design and
layout for online.
- Working closely with SMEs/faculty and academic stakeholders to
determines methods for delivery of course content and advocates
technology tools and creative processes that advances student
engagement and academic learning.
- Working closely with OIT, media team and SMEs/Faculty, creates
multimedia content, including interactive learning activities,
video or audio components.
- Participate in the internal review process of new and existing
- Assist faculty in the development or revision of their online
courses to meet Quality Matters (QM) or other national
- Provide one-on-one and small group training and assistance to
- Provide resources, templates, or other materials to help
faculty with course design and teaching online.
- Provide writing or editing assistance to faculty for their
online courses as needed.
- Consults with the Learning Technology Director to establish
detailed schedules for individual or multiple courses within a
program, and over-sees production.
- Provides support and implementation for testing content and
tools to meet ADA requirements, research and document copyright for
embedded media and other non-faculty-created content.
- Monitors course progress during instructional term and resolves
issues with faculty and teaching assistants and others.
- In consultation with the Academic departments and instructors,
the Instructional Designer ensures the technical accuracy and
understandability of online content by providing timely and
accurate troubleshooting for any course delivery issues.
- Identifies and triages technical and logistical issues within
live online courses through internal ticketing system and the
course maintenance queue.
- Helps academic stakeholders, instructors and students
troubleshoot issues they encounter while using supported software
- Works in a collaborative manner with other instructional
designers, OIT, media team, faculty/SMEs, instructors and academic
stakeholders and demonstrates diplomacy and tact in all
- Works in a collaborative manner with others in a diverse
environment and at all levels in the organization to prioritize
work assignments, conduct analysis, and develop
- Keeps current with accessibility issues, compatibility issues,
and emerging technologies as appropriate for online learning
materials and management systems.
Bachelor’s degree in related area and/or equivalent experience/training.
• Advanced knowledge of instructional design principles and learning strategies, including needs analysis, backwards design, learning outcomes and assessment design, and instructional approaches including lecture, discussion, activities, projects, etc.
• Advanced knowledge of the technical tools and platforms required to achieve the delivery of engaging and media-rich online learning content, and of trends in the use and effectiveness of educational technology and learning.
• Advanced understanding of business strategies and market priorities related to online learning and achievement of organizational goals.
• Advanced knowledge and skills with relevant business software systems and content creation tools.
• Advanced knowledge of applying adult learning theories and education methodologies in creative ways.
• Thorough knowledge to conduct appropriate job and task analyses in the context of instructional design of technical or specialized training.
• Advanced ability to conduct analysis and develop recommendations, demonstrating organizational and problem-solving skills.
• Advanced analytical, verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills, collaboration and negotiation skills.
• Advanced knowledge of organization policies and procedures, including policies that impact online course development.
• Advanced knowledge of e-learning strategies including but not limited to courses (e.g., processes and technologies, etc.).
• Expert level skills in application of planning, resourcing and monitoring of effective design life cycles of training and other learning and performance solutions to support the organization.
12 monthCommensurate with experience, qualifications, and university’s resources.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Open Date: 09/01/2020
Open Until Filled: Yes
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: Click Here
Delta State University is committed to a policy of equal employment and educational opportunity. Delta State University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, disability, or veteran status. This policy extends to all programs and activities supported by the University.