St. Pierre Lab (Stpierrelab.com) develops and applies new tools for imaging the brain in animal models with cellular and subcellular resolution. We are particularly interested in genetically encoded voltage indicators (GEVIs) which are biosensors based on fluorescent proteins that reports voltage as changes in brightness. GEVI therefore promise to enable non-invasive monitoring of neural electrical activity by imaging rather than by traditional electrophysiological methods. These indicators have already been applied in Drosophila and in rodent brain slices but need further improvement to be of broad utility in mammalian in vivo models.
We are seeking a new energetic team member to lead our efforts to characterize and apply this exciting new technology in vitro and in vivo. Detailed characterization of these tools requires electrophysiology, hence this current position. An ideal candidate is someone who has experience with electrophysiology in dissociated neurons and brain slices. This position provides exciting opportunities for candidates to develop new skills in two-photon voltage imaging, protein engineering, and synthetic biology.
Postdoctoral Associates are trainees working in an apprenticeship mode in preparation for a career as a scientific professional.
- Conducting research projects, both independently and with others.
- Purchasing, setting up and maintaining equipment necessary to conduct research.
- Teaching techniques, procedures, and experimental design to other members of the lab.
- Communicating research results during our group meetings, and in local/national/international research meetings and conferences.
- Education Required: MD or Ph.D in Basic Science, Health Science, or a related field.
- Experience Required: None Required.
- Certification/Licenses/Registration: None Required.
Women and individuals from groups traditionally underrepresented in STEM are highly encouraged to apply.
Baylor College of Medicine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Equal Access Employer.
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Houston
- Health & Medicine Not specified Full Time jobs in Houston
- Other Health & Medicine Not specified Full Time jobs in Houston
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Not specified Full Time jobs in Houston
- Biology & Life Sciences Not specified Full Time jobs in Houston