The Department of Ophthalmology at Baylor College of Medicine is seeking qualified candidates to fill an open Optometrist position located as the Casa de Amigos Clinic. This position is full-time.
The Optometrist will examine patients to determine the nature and degree of vision problems and/or eye disease. The Optometrist's primary duties will include, but are not limited to: Examining patients and performing various tests to determine visual acuity and perception; prescribing eyeglasses, corrective lenses, and other vision aids or therapeutic procedures to correct or conserve vision; consulting with patients and referring them to Ophthalmologists or other health care practitioners if additional medical treatment is determined necessary; studying eye diseases and how to prevent and cure them.
- Performs thorough routine eye inspections.
- Identifies patient's visual alertness, field of vision, and hand-eye coordination.
- Diagnoses sight problems, such as nearsightedness and color blindness.
- Prescribes corrective lenses and medications.
- Promotes eye health by teaching patients about proper eye care techniques.
- Identifies and assesses eye defects and diseases such as diabetes and liver failure.
- Responds to patients' messages in a timely manner.
- Assists call center and/or triage technician with getting emergent/urgent patients added into clinic based on symptoms.
- Completes forms for pre-authorization requests by insurance companies for certain prescribed medications.
- Attends CME courses to maintain and enhance their knowledge.
- Doctor of Optometry (OD).
- Current license as an Optometrist by the Texas Optometry Board.
- Two years of experience as an Optometrist
- In-depth knowledge of eye-related disorders and conditions
Baylor College of Medicine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Equal Access Employer.