Director of Sports Medicine
Under direction of the Assistant Athletic Director for Student-Athlete Wellness and Leadership Development, the Director of Sports Medicine assists in the development and implementation of a training program for the prevention of injuries to student-athletes; administers first-aid and emergency medical care; treats injuries and provides rehabilitation according to authorized medical directions; supervises the athletic training staff and interns assigned to those athletic programs; coordinates and works collaboratively with a group of multidisciplinary medical providers in the pursuit of providing broad based health care for a Division I athletic programs; manages the budget, and oversees drug testing, as well as the level of care and treatment related to student-athletes. This position also manages processes with insurance providers, physicians, physical therapists, and other medical staff/providers and collaborates in the overall management of SJSU’s Sports Medicine Program, staff, and team.
This is a position in the CSU - Management Personnel Plan (MPP), and serves at the pleasure of the President. This position will require adherence to University compliance training such as: Conflict of Interest and Ethics, AB 1825 Sexual Harassment Prevention, Information Security, and Injury and Illness Prevention Program. The person hired for this position may be required to complete an outside employment disclosure statement in accordance with Title V of the California Code of Regulations.
- Prepares and oversees annual sports medicine budget for all sports programs.
- Coordinates and works collaboratively with a group of multidisciplinary medical and insurance providers.
- Oversees the maintenance of treatment records, injury reports, and season-long statistical analysis of student-athletes.
- Manages the inventory of athletic training supplies and inventory of Prescription Drug program.
- Participates in CSU, SJSU, and conference affiliate meetings as a representative from Sports Medicine.
- Ensures proper medical coverage of all necessary athletic events (home and away).
- Assists with oversight and safeguarding of the athletic training facilities and equipment.
- Oversees the maintenance of insurance and medical records of student-athletes.
- Staff supervision: Hire, train, evaluate, create and/or revise position descriptions, supervise and mentor Athletic Trainers. Participate in labor relations as needed i.e. Union grievances and other Personnel matters.
- Oversees institutional drug testing program and acts as a liaison for NCAA Drug Testing.
- Oversees and implements necessary updates for department policies and procedures.
- Assists athletic training students to prepare for certification examination.
- Develops and recommends program policies and procedures for implementation.
- Ensures sports medicine compliance of the following entities: MWC, NCAA, OSHA and HIPAA.
- Ensures that all activities are operated in compliance with NCAA, MWC and University rules and regulations. Report any violations, or suspected violations, to the Director of Compliance.
- Partners with Assistant Athletic Director for Student-Athlete Wellness and Leadership Development in order to provide learning opportunities for student-athletes in the areas of nutrition, mental health, and Beyond Sparta programming relevant to sports medicine.
- Coordinates with and takes direction from the Assistant Athletic Director for Student-Athlete Wellness and Leadership Development to develop and implement Spartan Balance programming for student-athletes (e.g. nutrition, mental health, etc.).
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Ability to manage/supervise employees.
- Ability to hire, train, and evaluate others and provide work lead direction.
- Ability to National Athletic Trainers’ Association Board of Certification required.
- Possess strategic leadership skills as well as strong communication and verbal skills to manage a Division I-A Sports Medicine Program.
- Knowledgeable and adherence to rules, regulations, and guidelines established by the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA), pertaining to student-athletes and their care, health, and safety.
- Must possess comprehensive knowledge of Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) standards for handing blood-borne pathogens.
- Must demonstrate advanced proficiency maintaining medical records and abiding by the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPPA).
- Must possess comprehensive knowledge of the principles and practice of Athletic Training, including prevention, evaluation, care, treatment, and rehabilitation of athletic injuries.
- Outstanding communication and interpersonal skills with collegiate student-athletes.
- Ability to work cooperatively with coaches, multi-disciplinary medical providers, staff, faculty, student-athletes, parents, and members of the community.
- Ability to appropriately handle confidential and sensitive information.
- Ability to work confidently and effectively in a high-stress environment.
- Ability to exercise professional independent judgment and discretion.
- Ability to perform all duties with integrity and professionalism.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule including nights/weekends.
- Ability to travel as required by the position.
- Ability and willingness to support the equity and diversity commitments of the department.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with individuals from diverse ethnic, cultural and socio-economic backgrounds and project a professional attitude.
- Master’s degree from an accredited four-year institution with an Athletic Training, Kinesiology or Health-related major course of study.
- NATA/BOC Certification is required
- Minimum of five years of experience as an athletic trainer at the Division I collegiate level
- Experience in Sports Medicine Administration is desired, specifically with respect to insurance management, staff and clinical supervision
- Work experience with an FBS sports medicine team
- Knowledge using FMS or similar programming in the areas of injury prevention Input
Classification: Administrator I
Hiring Range: Commensurate with experience
San José State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package typically worth 30-35% of your base salary. For more information on programs available, please see the Employee Benefits Summary .
Click Apply Now to complete the SJSU Online Employment Application and attach the following documents:
- Letter of Interest
All applicants must apply within the specified application period: August 31, 2020 through September 14, 2020 This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a contingent offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was offered the position on a contingent basis.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. Some positions may also require fingerprinting. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (e.g. H1-B VISAS)
All San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
San José State University (SJSU) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, creed, disability, ethnicity, gender, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, race, religion or lack thereof, sex, sexual orientation, transgender, or protected veteran status consistent with applicable federal and state laws. This policy applies to all SJSU students, faculty and staff programs and activities. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, and certain other federal and state laws, prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex in all education programs and activities operated by the university (both on and off campus).
Advertised: August 31, 2020 (9:00 AM) Pacific Daylight Time
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in San Jose
- Health & Medicine Not specified Full Time jobs in San Jose
- Kinesiology, Exercise Physiology & Physical Education Not specified Full Time jobs in San Jose
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in San Jose
- Student Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in San Jose