Technical Instructor - Carpentry
Washburn Institute of Technology seeks applications for a Technical Instructor - Carpentry. The primary teaching assignment will be at Lawrence Gardner High School in the Kansas Department of Corrections (KJCC) in Topeka. The secondary teaching assignment will be on the Washburn Institute of Technology campus as needed. This is a benefits-eligible position that will follow the Lawrence Gardner High School academic calendar.
POSITION SUMMARY: The instructor will provide instruction to the students through both classroom and hands-on experiences. Primary responsibilities will involve small group instruction and leading hands-on learning activities.
- High school diploma with two years or 4000 hours of industry experience as a carpenter and/or related military experience.
- Must attain NCCER Introductory Craft Skills and OSHA 30 Construction Industry certification within six (6) months of start date.
- Must satisfy a Kansas Department of Corrections background security screening and attend standard basic training classes on KJCC security and safety procedures.
Preferred Qualifications :
- Associate degree in Construction Trades.
Technical instructors are expected to be positive role models for students. Instruction shall be based on current state-of-the-art practices.
- The primary assignment will be teaching in the Lawrence Gardner High School, which is part of the Kansas Juvenile Correctional Center.
- The secondary assignment will be teaching at Washburn Tech as needed.
- Participate in the development, organization, implementation, and evaluation of the program.
- Participate in developing standards for student progression, and program completion.
- Enhance student learning experiences.
- Collaborate with the technical instructors to implement the course of study.
- Direct, guide, and evaluate student performance in the classroom and laboratory setting.
- Maintain a positive learning environment.
- Maintain student records about the program.
- Evaluate each course and one’s performance.
- Assist in selection, recruitment, retention, evaluation, advising, and counseling of program students.
- Assist in the instruction of other Construction Trade programs as needed.
- Submit recommendations related to budget and purchases with the program instructor.
- Actively participate in professional organizations and advisory committees.
- Attend seminars, conferences, and workshops.
- Develop and maintain working relationships and constructive interaction with other technical instructors and teaching assistants, both in the program, across the institution, personnel of the school, cooperating agencies, and community groups.
- Serve as a member of committees as assigned at Washburn Tech and Lawrence Gardner High School.
- Perform all other functions necessary for the proper operation of assigned courses.
Application review will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. To apply submit a letter of interest, resume, copies of transcripts, copies of current credentials, and the names and contact information of three professional references to email@example.com . Please use “Technical Instructor-Carpentry” in the subject line. Salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience. Excellent fringe benefits package. The successful candidate will be required to submit to a background check before hire. Official transcripts are required once hired.
Washburn is dedicated to providing a student-centered and teaching focused academic environment and a curriculum that engages the diversity of human experience across the globe. We seek candidates who are committed to Washburns efforts to create a climate that fosters the growth and development of a diverse student body, and we encourage applications from members of groups that have been historically underrepresented in higher education. Application materials should clearly articulate how the candidate will contribute to the Universitys commitment to diversity and inclusion through their teaching, research, and/or service.
Washburn University is an EOE. Washburn University provides equal access to and opportunity in its programs, facilities, and employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, veteran status, or marital or parental status.
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Topeka
- Education Not specified Full Time jobs in Topeka
- Curriculum & Instruction Not specified Full Time jobs in Topeka
- Instructional Technology & Design Not specified Full Time jobs in Topeka
- Professional Fields Not specified Full Time jobs in Topeka