Executive Director of Development
The Executive Director of Development leads the development team for the University Advancement Division and designs and implements a comprehensive fund-raising program to create a donor pipeline, identify, cultivate, solicit and steward prospects and donors at all levels in support of university priorities.
The Executive Director works in a collegial and supportive manner with College Deans, Program Directors, other colleagues and Foundation Trustees to maximize giving to the university foundation. The Director collaborates with University Advancement Division team members to implement effective recognition and messaging.
This position has responsibility to:
- Develop and implement an annual strategic plan including determining fundraising objectives and unit goals, in coordination with strategic objectives set forth by the Vice President for University Advancement.
- Exercise supervisory authority so that applicable labor agreements are equitably administered and employees will effectively perform assigned job duties to achieve the annual goals and objectives of the department.
- Establish and cultivate cross-campus partnerships to identify, engage and solicit prospects for multi-disciplinary university initiatives.
- Build and maintain a prospect portfolio.
- Perform other duties as assigned to ensure the smooth functioning of the department and maintain the reputation of the organization as a viable business partner.
Minimum Position Qualifications:
The following qualifications are required of all applicants seeking consideration for this position. Only applicants whose application materials clearly demonstrate fulfillment of each of these minimum qualifications will be considered for the position:
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field
- Eight or more years of proven experience in successful fundraising, preferably in a university setting.
- Demonstrated track record of success in personal face-to-face/corporate solicitations, cultivation and closing of major gifts of $1M +.
- Proven experience in successfully developing and implementing cultivation and solicitation strategies including the preparation of proposals and related materials.
- High degree of professionalism, discretion and diplomacy in dealing with leadership volunteers and high net worth prospects.
- Ability to manage time and priorities to respond to and meet deadlines, and adaptable to changing priorities. Outstanding organizational and analytical skills.
- Excellent oral and presentation skills, writing and editing skills. Ability to communicate with an ethnically and culturally diverse campus community.
- Management experience, especially demonstrated background supervising staff, coordinating the work of other professional level colleagues, as well as leadership volunteers
- Master's Degree
- Familiarity with Blackbaud’s Raiser’s Edge Program
- Experience with Planned Giving and Bequest Programs
Physical Requirements of the Job: Requires occasionally transporting such articles as file boxes and heavy hand tools or heavier materials with help from others and/or transporting light objects frequently. The position may require movement throughout building(s) to a significant degree.
The University: Metropolitan State University, a member of the Minnesota State, is a public, urban university located in Twin Cities Metropolitan area. The University provides an excellent, inclusive and engaging education to eliminate opportunity gaps and lead the Twin Cities community to a prosperous and equitable future. Recognized as a Minority Serving Institution, its employees serve approximately 11,000 students, two-thirds of whom are from communities of color or American Indian nations, are first in their family to attend college or are eligible for Pell grants. Metropolitan State is recognized by CollegeNet as a leading higher education promoter of social mobility for students (Ranked #21 out of 1380). The university offers programs leading to baccalaureate, masters and doctoral degrees. We provide accessible, high quality liberal arts, professional and graduate education with continued emphasis on marginalized groups, including adult learners. Recognized in 2008 and 2014 by the Carnegie Foundation for Community Engagement and named to the President’s Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll, the university is committed to academic excellence and community engagement through curriculum, teaching scholarship and services designed to support an urban mission.
Visit our web site at http://www.metrostate.edu
For campus safety information and crime statistics visit: www.metrostate.edu/security
The School/Academic Department: The University Advancement Division provides development services and support to Metropolitan State University. In addition to development and alumni relations, the division also includes the Metropolitan State University Foundation, which plans and executes multi-dimensional fundraising campaigns with corporate, foundation, alumni and individual donor constituencies. The Foundation is supported by a volunteer Board of Trustees.
Salary Range: $60,573 to $87,696 annually (Based on experience & qualifications)
Application: To apply, go to https://metrostate.peopleadmin.com
*To comply with privacy and data practices requirements, please refrain from including personal information or photographs in your application materials.
Applications must be received by 11:59 PM on Closing Date: September 28, 2020
Qualified applicants are required to attach the following documents to their online application:
- Cover letter of interest addressing how your qualifications align with the requirements of this position.
- Current curriculum vita or resume.
- Names of four (4) references with addresses, email addresses and telephone numbers.
- Transcripts - Valid unofficial copies of your transcript showing conferred/awarded date, your name and the academic institution’s name/logo are required. We do not accept copy/paste word documents with a list of courses/grades or DARS reports. If selected for hire, official original transcripts will be required.
* Employment for this position is covered by the collective bargaining agreement MMA which can be found at https://mn.gov/mmb-stat/000/az/labor-relations/mma/2019-2021/2019-2021-MMA-final.pdf
Notice: In accordance with the Minnesota State Vehicle Fleet Safety Program, employees driving on university business who use a rental or state vehicle shall be required to conform to Minnesota State’s vehicle use criteria and consent to a motor vehicle records check.
For TTY, call Minnesota Telecommunications Relay Service (TRS) at 7-1-1 or 1-800-627-3529.
Metropolitan State University is an Equal Opportunity employer/educator committed to the principles of diversity. We prohibit discrimination against qualified individuals based on their race, sex, color, creed, religion, age, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, or membership in a local commission as defined by law. As an affirmative action employer, we actively seek and encourage applications from women, minorities, persons with disabilities, and individuals with protected veteran status.
The University provides reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities upon request.