Director of Graduate Studies & Teacher Education Center
A successful candidate will play an active role in FMU's existing academic success. The Director of Graduate Studies and Teacher Education Center will serve as the coordinator of graduate studies within the school of education; together with the graduate program faculty, share in the responsibility for guiding and improving graduate education within the program(s).
Responsible for coordinating and implementing field experiences/student teaching for students seeking teaching certification, coordinating teacher education assessments and interventions, coordinating teacher education compliance and reporting, maintaining partnerships with area school districts to enhance students' placement opportunities, coordinating service learning experiences and internships in local schools and community agencies; and responsible for student recruitment and enrollment in undergraduate and graduate education programs.
Professional Studies Responsibilities:
- Supervise and coordinate the administration and governance of graduate studies within the graduate programs in school of education.
- Serve as a point of contact for graduate students enrolled in the program.
- Act as the liaison among the graduate students, program faculty, and partnerships.
- Communicate relevant matters to the program faculty or committees as needed; informing the faculty of graduate education-related policies, deadlines, and programs as appropriate; and forwarding recommendations, nominations, and other information from the faculty to the appropriate collegiate and Graduate School administrations.
- Provide written criteria to each student, upon entry, of what constitutes acceptable progress through the program and the grounds for the student’s termination from it.
- Receive, arrange for the review of, and monitor the progress of student applications and petitions.
- Oversee the maintenance of graduate student records and the annual student evaluation process.
- Provide periodic reports on the program and data to the dean
- Facilitate a program of professional development activities for graduate students within the program.
Teacher Education Center Responsibilities :
- Serve as the point of contact for local school and community administrators, teachers, faculty, staff, and students for the field-based Teacher Education Program courses and experiences.
- Solicit and coordinate field experience and internship placements for undergraduate students.
- Secure placements for students in all field-based Teacher Education Program courses including student teaching.
- Collaborate with faculty to determine the nature of the field experiences or internship placements that students require to meet course goals.
- Actively engage in outreach to sustain and develop new partnerships opportunities for field placement opportunities that reflect student and faculty course goals.
- Conduct pre-placement meetings and orientations for students and teachers.
- Facilitate and participate in the evaluation of student participation, performance and work relating to field placements.
- Maintain regular contact with supervisors of field experiences and trouble-shooting administrative and/or placement issues with students and faculty
- Maintain student fieldwork and academic files and records associated with fieldwork.
- Maintain a database for tracking placements, including fieldwork sites, site supervisors and clinical teachers; ensuring diverse experiences and ensuring that candidates meet number of required hours.
- Initiate, track, review, and monitor status of placements and all associated paperwork including required clearances. Collect, maintain, and dissemination information and data related to student clearances. Purge documentation as appropriated based on retention schedule.
- Participate in ongoing analysis of field experiences and procedures.
- Assist in the coordination, management and assessment of service-learning experiences and internships in local schools and community agencies.
- Work with department chair and department faculty to ensure currency and accuracy in program handbooks on an annual basis and assist with revisions and updates.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to handle information of sensitive and confidential nature in the utmost professional manner.
- Effective analytical and decision-making skills . Excellent communication (oral and written), organizational, and time management skills . Effective interpersonal skills and ability to work with diverse constituents .
- Attention to detail and adaptability to a changing environment is extremely important as well as dependability.
- Demonstrate a high level of professionalism, initiative, resourcefulness, and personal accountability.
- Moderate physical activity. Requires handling objects of average-weight up to fifty (50) pounds or standing and/or walking for more than four (4) hours per day.
- Note: In compliance with the American Disabilities Act (ADA), those functions of the job which are identified essential are required to be performed with or without reasonable accommodations. Requests to facilitate the performance of essential functions will be given careful consideration.
- This position requires a master's degree or higher in Education or a related field.
- A minimum of 5 years of professional experience as a teacher and/or administrator in public or private schools.
- Demonstrated record of professional development with teacher education students or practicing teachers.
- At least one Florida Department of Education approved teacher certification and/or leadership endorsement.
- Extensive hours and weekends will be required at times.
- Pre-Employment screening is required: criminal background-check and drug testing.
Qualified applicants are asked to upload a cover letter of interest, resume/curriculum vitae, and/or certifications, if applicable.
In addition to the completed application, candidates must submit a list of three professional references (at least one from a previous employer) that includes names and contact information. Review of application materials will begin ASAP and will continue until the position is filled. No phone calls please.
Florida Memorial University is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Miami Gardens
- Education Not specified Full Time jobs in Miami Gardens
- Curriculum & Instruction Not specified Full Time jobs in Miami Gardens
- Special Education Not specified Full Time jobs in Miami Gardens
- Teacher Education Not specified Full Time jobs in Miami Gardens