ATSU - Security Officer
A.T. Still University is seeking a Security Officer for the Kirksville, MO campus. This position reports to the Security Supervisor and is responsible for all matters of security on assigned shifts. The Security Officer monitors security activities and provides protection and security for all assigned properties of A.T. Still University on the Kirksville, MO campus.
Major Job Duties
- Lock and unlock selected doors on a daily basis according to departmental procedures.
- Patrol the premises on a nonscheduled basis at least twice per eight-hour shift.
- Check premises for fire and safety hazards on a daily basis and report any hazards found to the Security Supervisor immediately.
- Perform confidential investigations in matters pertaining to alleged losses, thefts, and wrongful acts of individuals affecting security and complete an incident report accurately as needed.
- Question strangers and make sure they have a legitimate reason for their presence as needed.
- Provide physical restraints on persons when directed to do so by proper authority according to departmental procedures.
- Respond within a timely manner to emergency calls as needed.
- Maintain a lost and found for articles on an ongoing basis and complete a lost and found report as needed.
- Maintain registration files of employee and student vehicles as needed.
- Ensure parking regulations are in compliance with policies on an ongoing basis.
- Control parking by use of citations and assistance on an ongoing basis as needed.
- Enter data accurately into the computer on an ongoing basis.
- Maintain accurate record reports, statistics, and files for security on an ongoing basis.
- Check proper functioning to two-way radios and other equipment on an ongoing basis.
- Maintain fuel, oil, and coolant at proper levels on the security vehicle.
- Assist in developing departmental goals and objectives.
- Complete other duties as assigned.
- Work independently with limited supervision.
- Interact effectively with various segments of the public including, but not limited to, ATSU faculty, employees, students, patients, and visitors.
- Maintain accurate records and files.
- Follow written and oral instructions.
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- Previous experience in security preferred.
- Valid Missouri drivers license required.
- Telephone number or other means for immediate contact must be made available.
- Heavy work - must be able to lift 75 pounds maximum with frequent lifting and carrying articles weighing up to 50 pounds.
- Reaching - extending the hands and arms in any direction.
- Handling - seizing, holding, grasping, turning or otherwise working with the hands.
- Fingering - picking, pinching or otherwise working with the fingers primarily (rather than the whole hand or arm as in handling).
- Seeing - using the eyes to obtain impressions of the shape, size, distance, and motion of objects.
- Talking - the ability to communicate with the various publics at ATSU.
- Use of the two way radio and pager.
- Completes job tasks and assignments accurately and on schedule.
- Participates in staff meetings and drills as required.
- Cooperates with co-workers and willingly assists where needed.
- Makes suggestions to management for revising and updating procedures and for improving cost effectiveness.
- Seeks out and accepts additional responsibilities.
- Practices proper hygiene.
- Adheres to dress code.
- Capability to adapt to any situation or job directed by immediate supervisor.
- Demonstrates a courteous, ethical, and professional manner to all publics of ATSU.
- Uses the organizational chart as a line of authority and/or communications.
- Handles difficult situations diplomatically.
- Abides by personnel policies governing attendance, tardiness, and break periods.
- Abides by ATSU departmental policies and procedures.