Senior Director of Cost Studies and Property Services
Senior Director of Cost Studies and Property Services
Job Category: Fulltime Regular
Exempt Overtime Eligible: Exempt
Benefits Eligible: Benefit Based
Caltech is a world-renowned science and engineering institute that marshals some of the world's brightest minds and most innovative tools to address fundamental scientific questions. We thrive on finding and cultivating talented people who are passionate about what they do. Join us and be a part of the diverse Caltech community.
The Senior Director is responsible for negotiating Caltech's Facilities and Administrative (F&A) Rates with the Office of Naval Research (ONR), managing Caltech's interactions with the Defense Contract Audit Agency (DCAA) pertaining to Cost Accounting Issues, and negotiating JPL Lump Sum reimbursements with NASA Management Office. The Senior Director will collaborate and work closely with many offices and functions across Caltech, including the Office of Financial Services, Office of Sponsored Research, Office of Research Administration, Internal Audit and Institute Compliance, the Office of General Council, Human Resources, and Division Chairs and Administrators.
The Senior Director will be responsible for the timely development of sound cost accounting proposals for submission to federal agencies (Incurred Cost F&A Cost Rate Proposals; Forward Pricing Proposals, Lump Sum proposals; Fringe Benefit Cost Rate Proposals and Paid Leave Cost Rate Proposals); supporting federal audits of the costing proposals and submissions; negotiating rates on Caltech's behalf; the design, management and support of biennial space surveys; developing service center policy and oversight for biennial service center reviews, including Caltech's animal care facilities; review and upkeep of the Institution's DS-2; audit resolution related to cost accounting issues, including internal policy and process development and development of corrective action plans, negotiated resolution with external third parties; advising Caltech management on strategic cost accounting issues; management and support of biennial equipment inventory, and management of Cost Studies and Property Services Offices. The Senior Director will also oversee the management of the Institute's property processes to ensure high quality service to the Campus and a process that complies with applicable Federal requirements. Reporting to the Associate Vice President for Finance, the Senior Director directly supervises a Director and provides oversight for a staff of four Cost Studies professionals, and three Property Services professionals.
- Develops, modifies and implements organizational policies and procedures along with strategic plans and objectives for the Cost Studies and Property Services departments
- Proposes and implements new long and short range initiatives in consultation with senior management in areas of responsibility
- Provides strong leadership and oversight including broad direction within Cost Studies and Property Services departments in order to maintain a highly motivated, customer service oriented work environment
- Responsible for the coordinating with the Director the delegation of department projects to subordinate management within Cost Studies and Property Services departments
- Supervises the Director of Cost Studies and Property Services who provides day-to-day oversight of the staff of the Cost Studies department, consisting of four cost study accounting professionals, and Property Services department, consisting of three property services professionals
- Oversees and reviews Caltech's Facilities and Administrative (F&A) rate proposals and staff benefit rate proposals
- Serves as Caltech's lead negotiator with the Office of Naval Research (ONR)
- Serves as Caltech's lead contact with the Defense Contract Audit Agency (DCAA) in connection with the conduct and resolution of all DCAA audits that are carried as part of the rate calculation and negotiation processes
- Responsible for providing guidance to Director and Managers in connection with Caltech responses to audits and audit requests for audits related to Cost Studies or Property Services
- Responsible for negotiation of the JPL Lump Sum proposal and negotiation with NASA
- Directs on-going cost analysis studies and projects, including the Caltech DS-2, Biennial Space Surveys, special costing studies, reports of unallowable costs, and cost sharing analyses
- Advises and regularly briefs Caltech Senior Management on matters pertaining to cost studies and Caltech's interactions with ONR and DCAA
- Directs the development and implementation of an on-going program of review of the Institute's Service Center (recharge) units and their budgeting and charging practices
- Supports Research Administration training programs that address cost studies issues, including cost allowability, effort reporting, cost sharing, fabrications, and recharge centers
- Ensures that costing and property policies/procedures are well documented and communicated to campus administrators; perform training and outreach as necessary to ensure such understanding
- Ensures that Caltech property system/processes are compliant with Federal property regulations
- Adopts policies and implements corrective action processes as the result of financial compliance and/or costing issues identified during audits
- Assists individuals involved in the conduct and administration of research to obtain both a basic understanding of research compliance issues and more in-depth knowledge of compliance issues
- Provides strategic input for Institute projects that have an impact on Cost Studies or Property Services
- Represents Caltech at conferences and meetings dealing with cost studies topics
- Manages Cost Studies and Property Services department expenses and budgets
- Bachelor's degree with at least 10 years of experience in Facilities and Administrative (F&A) rate development and negotiation
- Ability to organize and manage multiple projects and prioritize competing needs in an often-changing environment
- Grounded judgment but highly flexible thinking required
- Possess polished communication and diplomacy skills
- Ability to perceive and explain the practical application of relevant OMB Uniform Guidance in complex situations
- Ability to work cooperatively across a complex organization as well as with DCAA auditors and federal cognizant officers
- Critical thinking, energy, a sense of urgency, attention to detail, resourcefulness, collegiality, and good humor
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and strong academic credentials are required
- Nationally recognized as a leader in the profession and participates in organizations (e.g., NCURA, COGR) that address research administration issues
- In-depth knowledge of Federal Accounting rules specific to universities (OMB Uniform Guidance 2 CFR Part 200, FAR 52.245-1 and CAS 501, 502, and 503) and experience in the development and negotiation of F&A rates
- Ability to prepare and present reports to faculty and senior management
- 15 years of experience in F&A rate development and negotiation
- Prior experience with DCAA and ONR
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Caltech is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor.
To read more Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) go to https://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/eeoc_self_print_poster.pdf.
If you would like to request an accommodation in completing this application, interviewing, or otherwise participating in the employee selection process, please direct your inquiries to Caltech Recruiting at email@example.com.