Director of Library Services
Sweet Briar College is a women’s liberal arts institution, located in Central Virginia approximately 12 miles north of Lynchburg and 60 miles south of Charlottesville. Founded in 1901, the College’s curriculum encompasses a comprehensive baccalaureate program in the arts, sciences and humanities, as well as graduate programs in education. It is one of two women’s colleges in the United States offering an ABET-accredited engineering degree. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, Sweet Briar College is committed to enhancing our community and encourages applications from qualified individuals with varied backgrounds, experiences and ideas who would increase the diversity of the College.
Job Title: Director of Library Services
Classification: 12-month, full-time, benefits-eligible position
Reports To:Dean of the College
Job Summary/Objective: Sweet Briar College seeks a Director of Library Services to contribute to our educational mission to develop women leaders. We seek an energetic and innovative individual with a strong commitment to undergraduate education. The incumbent will be responsible for overseeing all aspects of the Mary Helen Cochran Library at Sweet Briar College, working with a dedicated staff and faculty to support information literacy and access, as well as research endeavors for faculty and students. This individual will manage the day-to-day operations of the library including managing staff, collection development and curation and works closely with faculty and students to provide education and support for accessing library resources, and to create an inviting learning environment for all of the Sweet Briar community.
- Supervise library staff to effectively manage library resources and support effective learning and utilization of library resources across campus and within the local community.
- Oversee institutional archiving efforts.
- Support staff training and development as well as oversee the annual staff evaluation process.
- Manage the library budget in collaboration with the Dean of the College.
- Curate the library collection in collaboration with stakeholders.
- Fosters positive relations with faculty, students, and staff to make the library a vital resource to support learning and scholarship.
- Develop and oversee technology required to support a robust electronic resource offering.
- Provide reports and assessment for SACS and administrative purposes.
- Serve on college committees if requested.
- Master’s degree in Library Science from an accredited institution or equivalent related experience.
- At least three years of academic library experience including increasing responsibilities in supervision and/or management of library services or equivalent related experience.
- Knowledge of current trends in library science and services.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with ability to work collaboratively with faculty, staff, and students to engage, provide support to, and motivate students.
- Demonstrated skill in organization, leadership, and management.
- Demonstrated ability to support students access to library and information technology.
- Demonstrated effective leadership skills.
- Demonstrated effective problem-solving and strategic planning skills.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively in various forms and strong presentation and facilitation skills.
- Ability to manage and maintain records and databases to track, compile and interpret data.
- Ability to maintain confidential information.
- Ability to prioritize workload with multiple demands and frequent interruptions.
- Five or more years of experience in academic library administration.
Work Environment: Office setting, working with students and visitors, computers, files and other materials.
Physical Demands: Standing, bending, and lifting up to 25 pounds.
Travel: Occasional travel to consortium-related meetings and for professional development.
Work Hours: Flexible hours with occasional night and weekend shifts.
Other Duties:This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee. Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
How to Apply:
To apply, visit the Sweet Briar College Career Center: https://sbc.edu/human-resources/faculty-staff-job-openings/. All applications should include: 1) cover letter; 2) resume; and 3) the names and full contact information for three professional references. Review of applications will commence immediately and continue until the position is filled.