Assistant or Associate Professor of Mechanical Engineering Technology
Assistant or Associate Professor of Mechanical Engineering Technology
(Full-time tenure-track faculty position, anticipated for Spring 2021)
POSITION TITLE: Assistant or Associate Professor of Mechanical Engineering Technology
JVA #: 2020 -22
DEPARTMENT: Mechanical Engineering Technology
School of Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM)
POSITION SUMMARY: This is a full-time, tenure-track, nine-month position at the level of Assistant or Associate Professor (rank depending upon qualifications). We seek a candidate with a minimum of a Master’s degree required in Mechanical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering Technology, or a closely related field. The primary responsibility of the position is to teach lower- and upper-level college courses and associated labs in the Department of Mechanical Engineering Technology (MEET) within the School of Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM). This position is responsible for the administration, operation, and maintenance of Mechanical Engineering Technology laboratory spaces which are related to the course load of the position. The successful candidate will seek to develop new laboratory procedures that emphasize current trends in Mechanical Engineering; refine and improve current lab experiences through the implementation of new/updated technology and hardware; create laboratory documentation (guidelines, manuals, procedures, etc.); and expand current lab offerings through the acquisition of new/updated technology either in hardware or software form. This position supports the General Engineering Technology curriculum within the School including the Manufacturing Engineering Technology (MAET) program, works as a team member on undergraduate program development and assists with the capstone design experience in the Mechanical Engineering Technology department. Appointment anticipated to begin January 2021.
POSITION RESPONSIBILITIES: All faculty positions include a minimum of 12 credit teaching load (may include web-based or interactive video instruction and/or courses at off-campus locations as needed), laboratory oversight, academic advising, as well as participation in school committees and College governance. The successful candidate will demonstrate evidence of the potential for excellence in teaching and dedication to College and community service.
All faculty are expected to:
- Take a supportive interest in the academic progress of each of his/her students.
- Meet with his/her classes as scheduled. In case a faculty member is kept from his/her duties by illness or other legitimate reason, the faculty member must inform the respective Dean in advance, if possible, so that arrangements can be made for assignments or a substitute instructor.
- Maintain adequate office hours as assigned so that he/she may be available to the students for conferences to assist students toward achieving student success.
- Participate in the faculty-student advisory program.
- Keep abreast of his/her academic discipline through continuing study, and/or active participation in his/her professional organizations.
- Continually strive to improve the effectiveness of his/her teaching.
- Keep accurate records of grades and other information required by the Deans, Registrar, Provost, President, and any other administrator as may be appropriate.
- Attend all faculty meetings of the college and the respective school in which the faculty teaches.
- Attend commencement and convocations and to cooperate fully with the BSC Board of Governors, the President, the Provost and the Dean in promoting the interests of Bluefield State College and the respective School.
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS: Master’s degree from an accredited institution required. Preference given to those with a degree in Mechanical Engineering or Mechanical Engineering Technology. An ability to effectively use alternative modalities (e.g., on-line, video livestreaming, Moodle), in addition to teaching effectively in a traditional classroom setting is required.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS: The ideal candidate will possess the following preferred qualifications: a PhD in Mechanical Engineering or a related field; machinist experience; prior classroom and lab teaching experience; a professional certification, e.g. Professional Engineering Certification, OSHA Safety Certification; working knowledge and/or certification in Solidworks with experience in parametric modeling; experience in or potential for applied research with business, industry, or government agencies; prior real-world experience in a mechanical-engineering related field is a plus; experience across multiple fields, e.g. electrical, mechanical, industrial, and candidates who can teach across multiple disciplines is also a plus.
COMPENSATION: Salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience. This position is dependent upon available funding.
THE COLLEGE: The mission of Bluefield State College is to provide students an affordable, accessible opportunity for public higher education. A historically black institution, Bluefield State College prepares students for diverse professions, graduate study, informed citizenship, community involvement, and public service in an ever-changing global society. More information about the College is available at www.bluefieldstate.edu
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: Complete applications to be submitted in electronic format only to email@example.com and must include:
- Letter of interest specific to the position;
- A completed BSC Employment Application (form available at https://bluefieldstate.edu/resources/human-resources/jobs );
- Contact information for at least three professional references; and
- Transcripts (unofficial transcripts are acceptable for the application process; official transcripts will be required of the selected candidate).
DATE POSTED: August 27, 2020
CLOSING DATE: Position is open until filled. Review of applications begins immediately. For full consideration, applications must be received by 4:00 pm EST, Friday, September 18, 2020. Applications received after the deadline may not receive full consideration.
Bluefield State College is an HBCU, AA/EOE/ADA employer, committed to the principle that minorities, women, veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. The college complies with all applicable federal and state laws designed to promote equal educational and employment opportunities. Bluefield State College does not provide H1B visa or employment sponsorship
Apply for Assistant or Associate Professor of Mechanical Engineering Technology
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Tenured/Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Bluefield
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Tenured/Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Bluefield
- Engineering Tenured/Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Bluefield