Faculty Director/Senior Instructor of MS in Data Science Program
The Graduate School at the University of Colorado Boulder invites applications for a non-tenure track senior instructor to serve as the faculty director of the Master of Science in Data Science professional graduate program launching in 2021. The faculty director will have limited teaching duties while serving in a leading administrative capacity. Your service will be carried out on the University of Colorado campus in Boulder, Colorado beginning no later than January 2021 reporting to the Dean of the Graduate School.
The University of Colorado Boulder is committed to building a culturally diverse community of faculty, staff, and students dedicated to contributing to an inclusive campus environment. We are an Equal Opportunity employer, including veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Who We Are
The Graduate School serves as the intellectual crossroads of the university. More than 5,000 graduate students from around the world come to CU Boulder to pursue graduate certificates, masters and doctoral degrees in over 150 programs. We offer degrees across a full range of disciplines which alongside our robust interdisciplinary programs and institutes provide an outstanding environment in which to pursue graduate work.
Through a collaboration between the Graduate School and Departments of Applied Mathematics, Computer Science, and Information Science, the University of Colorado Boulder is launching two new degree programs in Data Science: an asynchronous, online professional Master of Science degree in Data Science hosted on the Coursera platform and an on-campus, in-person professional Master of Science degree in Data Science, with a corresponding online, Canvas-based degree to follow shortly thereafter. The programs will be administratively housed in the Graduate School. Building three versions of the Data Science degree allows us to reach three distinct audiences: those who prefer a residential program, those who look for a term-based, higher touch online program, and those who desire an asynchronous, low touch program.
The degree programs are interdisciplinary drawing on CU Boulder faculty expertise in statistics, applied mathematics, data science, computer science, information science, geospatial analytics, natural language processing, business analytics and more. The curriculum offers technical depth and functional breadth that also emphasizes cross-functional communication and teamwork, skills vital to data scientists who increasingly work with stakeholders across a wide spectrum of domains.
What Your Key Responsibilities Will Be
As Instructor, your teaching duties will include the instruction of the Data Science field survey course, and limited elective courses when necessary.
As faculty director, you will be expected to provide leadership in the development, implementation, and operation of the Data Science degree programs across all three modalities. This leadership includes, but is not limited to:
Strategic Planning and Assessment
- Further develop existing curricular plans as needed to fully flesh out Coursera, residential and campus-based online degree plans, work with advisory committee to make future curricular decisions and updates
- Establish and/or maintain and coordinate a campus steering committee to inform future Data Science Program decisions
- Assure that residential courses are taught regularly and with good quality; recruit additional faculty to develop in-residence and online courses
- Meet regularly with steering committee, and create a community of faculty participating in Data Science Program
Academic Administration and Student Oversight
- Provide director-level oversight of all aspects of student support in the Data Science graduate programs, including: student progress and compliance issues, review of student petitions/requests, review of academic standing issues, participation in conflict resolution and grievance situations
Operations and Staff Supervision
- Provide high level oversight of program staff and operations including course scheduling, budget & finance, communications and marketing, human resources
- Lead hiring, training, management and evaluation of program staff, including graduate advisor and program coordinators
- Serve as liaison with a varied group of university-wide and external stakeholders (including Graduate School leadership, other campus offices, and Coursera) on matters related to students, program operations, campus policies, and administration for programs across all modalities
- Provide program-level budgetary oversight for Data Science programs working with the Graduate School and Office of Budget and Fiscal Planning
Marketing, Recruitment and Admissions
- Work with CU Strategic Relations & Communications, and other vendors or organizations as relevant, to develop and manage marketing strategy, execution, and evaluation, and to highlight the program in media outlets
- Provide high level oversight to staff work in external communications channels (including website and social media), admissions and enrollment/matriculation processes
- Communicate regularly to dean of the Graduate School and Graduate School staff, and periodically to deans/chairs of participating units, about the progress of the programs
- Serve as program liaison with CU Advancement
- Represent program to companies and employers, in coordination with related efforts by other campus computing-related programs
What You Should Know
- We seek candidates who are strongly interested in or demonstrate effectiveness in teaching, mentoring and inspiring diverse students of all races, nationalities and genders, including first generation students. The University of Colorado is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to building a diverse workforce.
- Background checks will be conducted for all final applicants.
What We Can Offer
We can offer a competitive salary, commensurate with experience.
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits , including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder .
Be Dynamic. Be Engaged. Be Boulder.
What We Require
- An earned Doctorate Degree, and have demonstrated training and skills in the field of data science.
- Higher education experience in a related field, including administrative and supervisory experience.
- Experience in multidisciplinary collaboration and relationship building with administrators, faculty and students.
What You Will Need
- A demonstrated ability to teach data science or related courses.
- Ability to demonstrate tact and diplomacy when working with a broad spectrum of students, faculty, and administrative staff.
What We Would Like You To Have
- Higher education administrative experience including project management, programming, budget management, program development and assessment.
- Experience supervising and managing staff and instructional faculty in an academic environment, including recruitment and mentoring of staff and instructors.
- Demonstrated ability to teach lecture-style and online courses.
- Directorship or administrative duties in a data science program.
To apply, please submit the following materials:
- Cover Letter
- List of References (Used for Phone Reference Checks).
- Diversity and Inclusion Statement
Review of applications will begin as they are received, and will continue until October 15, 2020.
During the application process you will need to enter contact information for three (3) references, used for phone reference checks. We will then request letters of recommendation and additional materials, as needed, as the search progresses. All referential information will be held in strict confidence.
Note: Application materials will not be accepted via email. For consideration, applications must be submitted through CU Boulder Jobs.
Posting Contact Information
Posting Contact Name: Maizy Faithfull
Posting Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder
- Computer Sciences & Technology Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder
- Other Science & Technology Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder