Specialist V/VI, Information Technology (Cybersecurity Engineer)
Requisition Number S403P Home Org Name Office of Information Technology Ad Division Name Chief InfoOffice and InfoTechnology Position Title Specialist V/VI, Information Technology (Cybersecurity Engineer) Job Class Code MA14 E/F Appointment Status Full-time Part-time FTE Limited Term No Limited Term Length Job Summary
Under general supervision, responsible for the planning, engineering, developing, implementing, and compliance monitoring of organization-wide information security programs. This role will be responsible for monitoring alerts and events, analysis, reporting and ticketing for the Security Operations Center ( SOC ) for the university. This position is also responsible for creating and monitoring all dashboards in the security information and event management ( SIEM tools), including Splunk, in addition to other cybersecurity engineer duties.
1. Assist in ensuring information security policies and procedures are followed.
2. Creates content (queries, dashboards, reports, etc.) in industry leading SIEM tools, such as Splunk.
3. Manages the SIEM platform including log integration.
4. Monitors and evaluates real-time alerts in conjunction with the SOC to protect university systems and data from unauthorized users and cyber-attacks.
5. Supports and participates in SOC engineering efforts such as tool integration, development of automation, scripts, testing of new tools and evaluation of new technologies
6. Performs vulnerability scans using industry leading tools, such as Qualys, to detects and classify system weaknesses in computers, networks, and communications equipment and predicts the effectiveness of countermeasures.
7. Assesses vulnerabilities and develops appropriate mitigation countermeasures recommendations.
8. Participates in risk and vulnerability assessments of planned and installed information systems to identify vulnerabilities, risks, and protection needs.
9. Assists in incident response efforts.
10. Communicates and coordinates with distributed information technology units and internal technical teams
11. May perform other related duties as assigned by the IT Manager.
Education Level Bachelor's degree Field of Study
No specified discipline required
Years of Experience 4 Area of Experience
Experience configuring, tuning, and evaluating efficacy of key security tools, including but not limited to firewalls, VPN, SIEM, anti-malware, forensics.
Requirements for Additional Job Levels
The Specialist V position requires a Bachelor’s degree and four (4) or more years of applicable IT experience. Typical starting salaries for this level are between $65K and $75K.
The Specialist VI position requires a Bachelor’s degree and seven (7) or more years of applicable IT experience. The starting salaries for this level are typically between $73K and $85K. If hired at the Specialist VI level, the candidate must obtain an industry recognized cybersecurity certification within the first six months of employment.
Education Level Field of Study Years of Experience Area of Experience Requirements for Additional Job Levels
Minimum Skills and Abilities
1. Experienced configuring, tuning, and evaluating efficacy of key security tools, including but not limited to firewalls, VPN, SIEM, anti-malware, forensics
2. Knowledge of general Vulnerability Management responsibilities
3. Understanding of common types of attacks & vulnerabilities including CVSS, OWASP Top 10
4. Must have team leadership skills, negotiation skills, and advanced client relation skills.
5. Ability to remain up-to-date with privacy and security regulations.
6. Ability to recognize, analyze, and solve a variety of problems.
7. Ability to effectively communicate technical concepts to a non-technical audience.
Minimum Technology Skills Minimum License and Certifications
Degree in Computer Science or IT related field.
Cybersecurity Certification CISSP (Security + or CISSP ).
Salary Grade 35 Salary Range $51,900 - $99,600 Job Category Information Systems/Technology Working Hours if Non-Traditional List any hazardous conditions or physical demands required by this position Posting Date 08/27/2020 Closing Date EEO Statement
AUBURN UNIVERSITY IS AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION / EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER . It is our policy to provide equal employment opportunities for all individuals without regard to race, sex, religion, color, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other classification protected by applicable law.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Auburn University is one of the nation’s premier public land-grant institutions. In 2020, it was ranked 44th among public universities by U.S. News and World Report. Auburn maintains high levels of research activity and high standards for teaching excellence, offering Bachelor’s, Master’s, Educational Specialist, and Doctor’s degrees in agriculture and engineering, the professions, and the arts and sciences. Its 2019 enrollment of 30,460 students includes 24,594 undergraduates and 5,866 graduate and professional students. Organized into twelve academic colleges and schools, Auburn’s 1,643 instructional faculty members—87% of whom are employed full-time—offer more than 200 educational programs. The University is nationally recognized for its commitment to academic excellence, its positive work environment, its student engagement, and its beautiful campus.
Auburn residents enjoy a thriving community, recognized as one of the “best small towns in America,” with moderate climate and easy access to major cities or to beach and mountain recreational facilities. Situated along the rapidly developing I-85 corridor between Atlanta, Georgia, and Montgomery, Alabama, the combined Auburn-Opelika-Columbus statistical area has a population of over 500,000, with excellent public school systems and regional medical centers.
Auburn University is committed to providing a comprehensive employee benefits package that attracts and retains talent to further the University’s mission and contributes to the personal and financial well-being of employees and their families. Employee Benefits include: Health Insurance, Dental Insurance, Vision Care, Cancer Insurance, Life Insurance/Personal Accident Coverage, Disability Group & Supplemental Plans, Flexible Spending Account Plan, and Mandatory and Voluntary Retirement Plans, Auburn University Federal Credit Union, Bookstore Discounts, Tiger Perks discounts on dining, shopping and entertainment, Travel Assistance (Domestic and International), and Educational Improvements for Employees and Dependents.
Quick Link for Internal Postings http://www.auemployment.com/postings/19191 Documents Needed to Apply
- Cover Letter
- Letter of Recommendation
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How were you made aware of this opportunity?
- AU Employment website
- Employment websites (Indeed, HigherEd Jobs, etc.)
- Veterans Assistance Services
- Disability Assistance Services
- Professional Journal
- HR email
- Social Media
- State Employment Service
- * Please select the answer that best describes your current
employment relationship with Auburn University.
- Not a current Auburn employee
- Current Auburn employee in position less than one year
- Current Auburn employee in position more than one year
- * Do you have a Bachelor's degree?
- * Have you had hands-on experience with a vulnerability
scanning tool, such as Qualys, Nessus, etc? If so, which tool(s)
and how many years?
(Open Ended Question)
- * Have you had hands-on experience with a security information
and event management (SIEM) tool, such as Splunk, LogRhythm, etc. ?
If so, which tool(s) and how many years?
(Open Ended Question)
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Auburn
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Not specified Full Time jobs in Auburn
- Computer Sciences & Technology Not specified Full Time jobs in Auburn
- Engineering Not specified Full Time jobs in Auburn
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Auburn