Director of Government Relations
Office of the President
Requested Start Date:
To Be Determined
Commensurate with experience
Normal Work Schedule:
8:00 am – 4:30 pm Monday-Friday, some evenings and weekends required
The Director of Government Relations serves as the primary University liaison to city, county and state government units. Evaluates pending legislation pertinent to higher education, informs administration, and develops response to the legislation.
- Facilitates the University’s achievement of short and long-term legislative agenda at the local and state levels by preparing and coordinating implementation of a Government Relations Plan which includes informational materials, meetings with representatives at the local and state level of government to conduct governmental relations business for the University, tracking legislation that affects the University, and coordinates governmental relations activities of University officials.
- In collaboration with the University’s President, coordinates the University’s state legislative agenda.
- Conducts policy analysis and prepares comprehensive e reports regarding state legislative and administrative actions and their potential impact on the University.
- Studies proposed legislation to determine effects on higher education; implements and tracks higher education related legislation and policy initiatives impacting the University.
- Pursues policy outcomes that benefit JSU.
- Serves to inform and support the University’s policies, programs, and services to external constituencies.
- Develops and maintains strong professional working relationships with public officials, including law makers, and legislative staff at both the state and federal level.
- Responds to public officials’ requests for data and information about the institution.
- Promotes a positive image of the University and higher education by representing the University in community, state, and regional activities.
- Remains competent and current through self-directed professional reading, developing professional contacts with colleagues, attending professional development courses, and attending training and/or courses as required by the President.
- Oversees the creation and implementation of a university-wide community engagement system and strategy.
- Provides strategic direction and leadership for REACH by setting programmatic goals, measures and outcomes to achieve impact.
- Develops and nurtures collaborative partnerships with external stakeholders, including alumni, volunteers and other affinity groups within the immediate and surrounding counties and around the state.
- Facilitates analysis to determine targets for initial outreach as well as securing and attending cultivation and stewardship visits.
- Reviews and evaluates community engagement systems and activities and makes enhancements to improve effectiveness.
- Develops and implements strategies that enhance and supports the University’s commitment to community, based on best practices and emerging research on community engagement.
- Develops and tracks metrics for partnerships and partnership impact with regards to community engagement and outreach.
- Develops, implements and monitors community engagement activities of faculty, staff, and students.
- Serves as the primary University liaison to city, county and state government units.
Required Minimum Qualifications:
- Bachelor's degree in related field
- At least two years of related experience
- Comprehensive knowledge of Jacksonville State University
- Higher education administration experience
- Valid driver’s license
- Master’s degree
- Cover Letter
- Additional Information: None
- Supplemental Questions: None
Clery Notice: In compliance with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act, https://clerycenter.org/policy-resources/the-clery-act/ the Jacksonville State University Police provide information on crimes statistics, crime prevention, law enforcement, crime reporting, and other related issues for the past three calendar years. The JSU Annual Campus Security and Fire Report is available online at: http://jsu.edu/police/docs/CleryAnnualReport.pdf
Equal Employment Opportunity: JSU is an Equal Employment, Equal Opportunity, and Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Jacksonville
- Professional Fields Not specified Full Time jobs in Jacksonville
- Public Administration & Policy Not specified Full Time jobs in Jacksonville
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Jacksonville
- Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Jacksonville