Assistant Librarian, Archive Processing
Assistant Librarian, Archive Processing
Texas A&M University - Corpus Christi
Library Operations Staff
Proposed Minimum Salary
Corpus Christi, Texas
The Mary and Jeff Bell Library at Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi Special Collections and Archives Department is seeking a diligent, innovative Archive Processing Librarian to provide leadership, preservation, arranging and describing modern manuscript collections in all formats related to South Texas and this university, teaching and providing research service, and working with archival technology tools. The successful candidate will process recent acquisitions and collections from our backlog, complete finding aids, blogs, and assist with online exhibits. This librarian will also work with the Digital Archivist on managing workflows for digitization projects and creation of all metadata for digitization, as well as supervise and train hourly employees.
The position also serves as a liaison to various academic departments, with responsibility for collection development, and participates in providing reference service and library instruction. As with all professional librarian positions at Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi, the Archive Processing Librarian will participate in professional and scholarly activity and will serve on library and university committees.
The Mary and Jeff Bell Library provides resources and services to assist users with their research and information needs. Over ½ million items are listed in the online catalog, and many more items are accessible through our electronic resources. Over 280 online databases and over 150,000 print and electronic journals through subscriptions and full-text databases contain scholarly material to assist students in completing research projects or assignments. The Library provides both in-person and virtual reference service, research skills and information literacy instruction, interlibrary loan, an I-Create makerspace lab, and over 120 computers for research and coursework. Special Collections and Archives houses a wealth of resources focusing on Corpus Christi, the Coastal Bend, and South Texas.
- Masters of Library Science or equivalent from an ALA-accredited program.
- Experience in a manuscript repository processing and cataloging large archival or manuscript collections. Knowledge of current library and archival descriptive and metadata standards (e.g. Describing Archives: A Content Standard (DACS), Encoded Archival Description (EAD), Dublin Core
- Knowledge of relevant Aspects of library operations including understanding of contemporary library practices, trends, and emerging technologies
- Some experience working with digital archival materials
- Familiarity with collections management applications, such as ArchivesSpace
- Demonstrated consistent accuracy and attention to detail while maintaining a very high level of productivity
- Creates and encodes finding aids using Describing Archives: A Content Standard (DACS), ArchivesSpace, and Encoded Archival Description (EAD)
- One to two years of related experience in a public, academic, or specialized library or archive.
- Experience in conducting research in primary and secondary sources
- Experience in grant writing
- Knowledge of legal and ethical issues affecting privacy, records restrictions, and access, as they pertain to born-digital materials
TO APPLY: http://hr.tamucc.edu/Job_Opportunities/index.html
All required documentation must be submitted to be considered for the position.
A completed application will include:
1. A letter of application.
2. A current curriculum vitae.
3. A list of three professional references, including current supervisor.
The posting will remain open until a finalist has been selected.
All positions are security-sensitive. Applicants are subject to a criminal history investigation, and employment is contingent upon the institution's verification of credentials and/or other information required by the institution's procedures, including the completion of the criminal history check.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Veterans/Disability Employer committed to diversity.
To apply, visit https://tamus.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/TAMUCC_External/job/Corpus-Christi-TAMUCC/Assistant-Librarian--Archive-Processing_R-031957