Assistant Director of THRIVE
Title Assistant Director of THRIVE Posting Number S00707JP Department THRIVE Job Summary
THRIVE at Bowdoin College is expanding its team by adding a second full-time assistant director. THRIVE is a college-wide initiative designed to foster achievement, belonging, mentorship, and transition among low-income students, first-generation-to-college students, and students of color. The Assistant Director will create programming, offer support to students in all THRIVE programs, and they will oversee the Chamberlain Scholars program. The Assistant Director will play a critical role in running the Geoffrey Canada Scholars program—the initiative’s flagship program—a four-year cohort experience that includes a Summer Institute for incoming first years. The Assistant Director will have a significant part in the continued development of THRIVE, as it leads the way in long-term transformational change at Bowdoin.
Day-to-day tasks associated with the outlined responsibilities include: serving as an advisor to students, creating and supervising year-round educational and recreational programming (workshops and coursework on campus and off-site activities), supporting the growth of the THRIVE initiative, and promoting, reviewing, and documenting funding opportunities for students. The AD will regularly collaborate in these efforts with faculty and staff across the institution, especially those in Student Affairs.
• Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree preferred.
• Ability to create and design programming based on the goals of THRIVE .
• Knowledge of the needs of these student populations, especially men of color and first-gen men.
• Familiarity with an asset-based framework for responsive and creative problem-solving.
• Exceptional public speaking and writing skills.
• Ability to maintain confidentiality.
• Fluency in the Microsoft 365 suite and willingness to quickly learn new applications and software.
• Multilingual skills preferred; fluency in Spanish is strongly preferred.
Experience Requirements and/or Equivalents
• 2+ years of full-time work experience.
• Experience in college access, college persistence, and/or higher education strongly preferred.
• Experience supervising student leaders or student employees.
Standard Work Days and Hours
8:30 am – 5:00 pm, Monday – Friday with occasional evening and/or weekend hours. This is an exempt position requiring time commitment necessary to satisfactorily complete job requirements.
Founded in 1794, Bowdoin has maintained its commitment to the liberal arts for well over 200 years. Bowdoin’s reputation as a preeminent liberal arts college rests on the excellence of its faculty, students, and staff; intimate size; strong sense of community; and connections to the people, history, and natural beauty of Maine.
Bowdoin’s campus is situated in a beautiful natural setting. Located in Brunswick, Maine, a town of approximately 20,000, the College is a short drive from the Maine coast, twenty-five miles from Portland and 120 miles from Boston.
Bowdoin embraces diversity in all forms, and the College is home to talented students, faculty and staff—with a variety of racial, ethnic, cultural, and socioeconomic backgrounds; religious beliefs; and gender identities, among other factors.
We encourage applications from candidates committed to the support of an inclusive campus community and those who will enrich and contribute to the College’s multifaceted diversity. We value a community in which individuals of all backgrounds are warmly welcomed and encouraged to succeed.
Shift First Shift Employment Category Full Time Year Round FTE 1.00 Benefits Eligible Yes Pay Type Salaried Background Check Package Requirements Faculty/Administrative Is driving a vehicle (e.g. Bowdoin vehicle or off road vehicle, rental car, personal car) an essential function of this job? No Is a pre-placement physical required for this position? No Posting Date 08/22/2020 Applications Accepted Until Open Until Filled Yes Type of Posting Internal/External Special Instructions to Applicants EEO Information
Bowdoin College complies with applicable provisions of federal and state laws that prohibit unlawful discrimination in employment, admission, or access to its educational or extracurricular programs, activities, or facilities based on race, color, ethnicity, ancestry and national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, age, marital status, place of birth, genetic predisposition, veteran status, or against qualified individuals with physical or mental disabilities on the basis of disability, or any other legally protected statuses.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you hear about this position?
- Chronicle of Higher Education
- Diverse Issues in Higher Ed
- Google Search
- Maine Job Link
- Employee Referral
- Bowdoin College Website
- Radio Ad
- If you answered Employee Referral or Other, please specify
(Open Ended Question)
- Resume / Curriculum Vitae
- Cover Letter
More searches like this
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Birch Island
- Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Birch Island
- Other Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Birch Island
- Student Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Birch Island
- Academic Advising & Academic Support Services Not specified Full Time jobs in Birch Island