Unit Business Officer
Working Title: Unit Business Officer Official Title: Administrative Specialist Employment Class: Non-Instructional Academic Staff FTE: 1.0 Compensation: $39,168 – $50,218 FLSA Status: Exempt Terms of Employment: Annual, Fixed-term Terminal Position Summary:
Reporting directly to the Assistant Vice Chancellor of Administrative Services and working daily under the supervision of the Assistant Vice Chancellor of Online and Continuing Education as well as working under the guidance of a central budget office team member, the Unit Business Officer for the Division of Online and Continuing Education serves as an integral member of the Division of Online and Continuing Education. This position is responsible for the daily personnel, budget and financial aspects of the division operations. The incumbent will provide administrative support to assist in decision-making, planning and assessment of the division by working closely with the Assistant Vice Chancellor of Online and Continuing Education on all budget and finance aspects of the division.
Provide financial/operational management for the Division – 40%
1. Ensure unit compliance to all State of WI, UW System, UW Oshkosh, and divisional financial policies and procedures.
2. Collaborate with the University central purchasing team to manage the purchasing of equipment and supplies for all assigned units.
3. Manage the following unit transactions: Transaction Transfer Requests (TTR), Direct Pay Requests (DPR), Expense Reimbursements, Payment to Individual Reports (PIR), Meal Requisitions, Speaker/Instruction Contracts, Vehicle reservations, ordering supplies from Central Stores, Shop@UW, and other vendors using the divisional Purchasing VISA card (P-card).
4. Serve as the lead contact for all contract generation & processing within the division or college.
5. Work with Financial Services on invoice generation and tracking.
6. Reconcile cash and check deposits made within units to WISDM.
7. Initiate requests to create, rename, and delete SFS departments as needed.
8. Work with Student Financial Services to verify accuracy of student billing setup for programs and fees for all units within the assigned division or college.
9. Collaborate with Foundation fiscal representative to maintain accuracy of financial information.
Develop, manage, monitor and accurately maintain the Division budget – 20%
1. Direct the planning and development of operating budgets for assigned units, in collaboration with the university budget office, Financial Services, various directors, deans, and/or Vice Chancellors of the unit; enter budgets into appropriate budget/HR system.
2. Analyze, reconcile and consult with unit heads on status of all the division budgets within the assigned area including grant accounts.
3. Assist in financial planning for the college.
4. Collaborate with units in the development of budgets and projections for new programs.
5. Manage and control unit expenditures in accordance with budgeted amounts; including travel, operational expenses, and services within set limits; evaluate, recommend and implement improvements in cost control practices.
6. Audit financial transactions for accuracy and prepare correcting journal entries as needed.
7. Compile and validate all budget transfers and submit to university budget office.
8. Determine budgetary feasibility of equipment acquisitions and technology upgrades; develop recommendations and practices accordingly.
9. Coordinate funding requests from all units, i.e. computer replacements, new proposals, etc.
10. Collaborate with Budget & Planning on the completion of UW System and university reports.
11. Present and justify proposed budgets to examining and fund-granting authorities to clarify reports and gain support for estimated budget needs.
12. Work with Financial Services on direct retro requests to correct salary issues.
Manage the human resources functions for the Division – 20%
1. Work cooperatively with the Office of Human Resources to ensure HR processes and methods are efficient, compliant and proactive.
2. Utilizes Interactive Reporting Workspace to obtain employee data and metrics to inform Human Resources discussions and decisions within the unit.
3. Educate and train new UWO staff to understand My UW System, time reporting and employee reimbursement of expenses.
4. Coordinate with staff to initiate and complete as appropriate; Personnel Transaction Forms, Title Change Requests, Lump Sum and Summer payment forms.
5. Facilitates all hiring within the unit.
6. Confirm accuracy of payroll in WISDM; verify salary is correct and charged to appropriate accounts.
7. Initiate all forms associated with Graduate Assistant appointments.
8. Coordinate Student Help payroll within assigned area.
Coordinate the work of financial specialists – 10%
1. Work collaboratively with Financial Specialists within Academic Affairs and other university units.
2. Be accessible to assist Financial Specialists with questions as they work with their assigned areas on campus.
Miscellaneous Unit Responsibilities – 10%
1. Compile various financial report requirements for units within the division or college.
2. Attend UBO meetings and collaborate as appropriate with other university UBOs.
3. Other duties as assigned by the Provost and Vice Chancellor.
4. Other duties as assigned by the Associate Vice Chancellor of Administrative Services and Assistant Vice Chancellor of Online and Continuing Education.
Qualifications Required: 1. Minimum 2 years of relevant experience that will have prepared the applicant for the responsibilities for this position.
2. Demonstrated accounting/fiscal management experience.
3. Detail-oriented with strong analytical skills and good judgement.
4. Excellent oral and written communication skills, professionalism and demonstrated ability to communicate with personnel from diverse backgrounds.
5. Commitment to the highest standards of customer service and absolute discretion regarding confidential information.
6. Ability to prioritize workload to meet the needs of multiple areas of responsibility.
7. Experience in Microsoft Office applications, in particular Excel. Preferred:
1. Bachelor’s degree.
2. Budget and/or financial experience in higher education.
3. Experience with WISDM and PeopleSoft.
Applicants must submit the following documents using the online application:
Cover letter, resume, contact information for 3 references, and an unofficial transcript.
For questions regarding your application and additional options to apply, contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org or 920-424-1166.
The University of Wisconsin System is engaged in a Title and Total Compensation (TTC) project to redesign job titles and compensation structures. As a result of the TTC project, official job titles on current job postings may change in Spring 2020. Job duties and responsibilities will remain the same. For more information please visit: wisconsin.edu/ohrwd/title-and-total-compensation-study/ .
TO ENSURE CONSIDERATION: Applications received by September 11, 2020 are ensured full consideration. Applications received after that date may be given consideration at the discretion of the search committee. Application materials will be evaluated and the most qualified applicants will be invited to participate in the next step of the selection process. Incomplete and/or late application materials may not receive consideration.
If you have questions regarding this recruitment, or if you are not able to complete the application online due to a disability or system problem, please contact the Office of Human Resources.
The University of Wisconsin Oshkosh (UWO) is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to assembling a diverse, broadly trained faculty and staff. We strongly encourage women, minorities, people with disabilities and veterans to apply. UWO, in compliance with applicable laws and in furtherance of its commitment to fostering an environment that welcomes and embraces diversity, does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, disability, or protected veteran status.
UWO provides reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities who are employees or applicants for employment. Employment opportunities will not be denied because of the need to make reasonable accommodations for a qualified individual with a disability. If you need assistance or accommodation in applying because of a disability, please contact email@example.com or 920-424-1166. This job announcement and other material on this site will be made available in alternate formats upon request to an individual with a disability.
Confidentiality of Applicant Materials
UWO is a State agency and subject to Wisconsin's Open Records Law. UWO will not, however, reveal the identities of applicants who request confidentiality in writing except as may be required by Wisconsin's Open Records law. In certain circumstances, the identities of "final candidates" and/or the identity of the appointed applicant must be revealed upon request.
CBC & Reference Check Policy
All candidates for employment are subject to a pre-employment screening which includes a criminal background check, work authorization, and verification of education. It will also require you and your references to answer questions regarding sexual violence and sexual harassment.
The University of Wisconsin Oshkosh does not offer H-1B or other work authorization visa sponsorship for this position. Candidates must be legally authorized to work in the United States at the time of hire and maintain work authorization throughout the employment term.
Annual Security and Fire Safety Report (Clery Act)
For the UWO Annual Security and Fire Safety Reports (i.e., Clery Report), which includes statistics about reported crimes and information about campus security policies, see https://uwosh.edu/police/ , or call UWOâ€™s Police Department, at (920) 424-1212 for a paper copy.
More searches like this
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Oshkosh
- Academic Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Oshkosh
- Academic Administration Not specified Full Time jobs in Oshkosh
- Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Oshkosh
- Business & Administrative Support Not specified Full Time jobs in Oshkosh