Network Architect and Engineer
Network Architect and Engineer
Position Number: E 1081
Salary for Announcement: The beginning of the salary range is $72,200. The final salary will be commensurate with education and experience.
Employee Category: Administrators
Department: Infrastructure & Networking
Metropolitan State University of Denver is looking for a Network Architect/Engineer with experience leading end-to-end network design and implementation. As an Architect you will design data center network solutions, propose and implement new solutions, oversee the installation of networking hardware and manage/maintain the network infrastructure including wireless. You will provide senior level technical knowledge and input to maintain and troubleshoot existing LANs/WAN, wireless technology, network security, and data center switching. The Network Architect will ensure the team uses best practices provided by technology vendors.
Working under the direction of the Director of Network and Infrastructure Services; we ask that you have excellent technical expertise, and be customer-oriented to support network operations for student connections, administrative personnel, and faculty. You will function in both a team and independent work environments.
25% Operational Leadership
• Ensure the enterprise network environment/infrastructure for Metropolitan State University of Denver is highly available, reliable, innovative, and robust.
• Collaborates with the Auraria Higher Education Center (AHEC) and counterparts from neighboring institutions to manage the campus networking and telecommunications infrastructure.
• Manages vendor relationships associated with infrastructure-related contracts and service engagements.
• Collaborates with the Director of Network and Infrastructure Services and others within ITS as appropriate to provide configuration specifications for all networking services.
• In coordination with ITS Leadership, develops and maintains an enterprise disaster recovery plan for enterprise networking services.
• Develop and maintain disaster recovery network architectural plans.
25% Staff Management and Development
• May be required to lead a team of full and part-time employees, providing supervision and leadership.
• Encourage a culture of continuous improvement, ensuring alignment with University needs and industry best practices.
• Craft team strategic objectives and lead initiatives to support achievement.
• Encourage ongoing skill development and staff enrichment.
25% Strategic Leadership
• Serve on the ITS leadership team, representing the organization both internally and externally on a regular basis.
• Participate in strategic planning exercises, guiding initiatives and investment on a 3-5 year time horizon.
• Operate one or more budgets, representing a range of capital and operational expenses.
• Participate in technology governance and oversight activities.
• Interface with senior university leadership.
20% Technology Leadership
• Directs the development and maintenance of performance and reliability systems, metrics, and documentation.
• Direct strategic and capacity planning for upgrades and expansions to enterprise network infrastructure.
• Provides expert-level strategic guidance for operational resources on network and data center design.
• Researches forward-thinking and innovative solutions in a support of current and future campus needs.
5% Other Tasks as Assigned
• Occasional after-hours work and infrequent travel will be required for this position.
• Previous experience designing, troubleshooting LAN/WAN infrastructures in a multi-protocol environment. Experience should include leading complex network design and implementation efforts to support network hardware refresh, and modernization to incorporate new technologies.
• Previous experience with BGP, OSPF, MPLS, QoS, and Wireless.
• Previous experience with IP subnetting.
• Previous experience with layer 3 network routing, including: BGP, OSPF, EIGRP.
• Analyze requirements to develop technical network solutions and their framework.
• Design, test, and inspect data communications systems.
• Perform network modeling, analysis, planning, and network troubleshooting to isolate and diagnose common network problems.
• 2 years direct experience with Software Design Network.
• 5 years Network monitoring and traffic management.
• Experience with penetration testing and intrusion detection concepts
• Experience with DNS and DHCP and Cisco Operating Systems such as IOS and NX-OS
• Experience with upgrade network hardware and software components.
• Experience working in a structured change management environment
• ITIL Foundation Design, test, and inspect data communications systems.
• 2 years cloud network and security technologies experience.
• 3 years VoIP experience.
• 5 years of layer 4 IP protocol suites (TCP, UDP, ICMP, GRE).
• 5 years direct experience in management and administration of the F5 Load Balancing, iRule SSL termination.
• 3 years experience managing or supervising a team is a plus
• Bachelor’s degree
• 5 years experience designing, troubleshooting LAN/WAN infrastructures in a multi-protocol environment. Experience should include leading complex network design and implementation efforts to support network hardware refresh, and modernization to incorporate new technologies.
• 5 years experience with BGP, OSPF, MPLS, QoS, and Wireless.
• 5 years experience with IP subnetting.
• 5 years experience with layer 3 network routing, including: BGP, OSPF, EIGRP.
Posting Date: 08/26/2020
Closing Instructions: Open Until Filled
Special Instructions to Applicant:
IMPORTANT: In order to be considered as an applicant you must apply via the online application system, www.msudenverjobs.com.
References refers to a list of three professional references and their contact information.
Official transcripts will be required of the candidate selected for hire.
To apply, visit https://www.msudenverjobs.com/postings/14036