Senior Director of University Space Management & Technical Services
OFFICIAL TITLE: Senior Director of University Space Management & Technical Services
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES: The Senior Director of Campus Space Management & Technical Services represents the area within Facilities that largely interfaces directly with end users/customers. This position oversees, manages and provides direction to staff responsible for Space Planning, Accounting and Utilization, Events Planning, Conference Services, Technical Services (Technical Library & Prints), Energy & Sustainability and Facilities Management.
The position will be responsible for management of University space utilization and occupancy plans. This includes oversight and direction of department staff in the development of space occupancy plans that best utilize existing buildings, provide proper adjacency needs, reduce redundancy moves by proposing long-range plans that anticipate future headcount/space needs of the various business units, analyze headcount and business reorganizations to advise upper management of space concerns that may arise, prepare comprehensive estimates of proposal and present pros and cons of alternative plans. Upon approval, the incumbent directs the execution of the plan meeting budget restrictions and adapting quickly to changes in business direction. Manages and programs the usage of campus space including furniture, office, and building assets. In addition, oversees and manages staff and technical documentation systems in support of all aspects of Engineering projects and maintenance of new and existing facilities. This includes updating, retrieval, and archiving all detailed design and construction drawings to ensure all projects comply with Site Standards, Federal, State (OSHA/DEP) specifications and Local (Fire Marshal, Building Inspector) Regulations. In addition, manages small-medium scale engineering projects from scope development through final completion and commissioning.
The position manages all space utilization including assignment of space used for cost allocation. Develops master site space usage plans which meet the organization and unit’s objectives, provide design services, and develop and propose guidelines for office space and furniture standards. Develop execution strategy and manage implementation of approved site space plan. Support safety and ergonomic initiatives in space design and furniture layouts. Oversees all aspects of technical services and move operations within the university which includes review and approval of daily requests for office moves, furniture, repairs, office modifications, CADD plans, technical library and document turnover from construction projects. Analyze business unit reorganizations and their impact on current adjacencies, space requirements and headcount. Oversees University Scheduling and Event Management Operations to include Faculty, Staff and Student events, Conferences and Facility Rentals; administration of Event Management System, University Event and Facility usage policies for all campuses. Oversees University Conference Services including staff and administration. Is responsible for leveraging idle University facilities through outreach to faculty and community for fee in the sponsorship of events that elevate the exposure and mission of the University. This program shall be self-funded and operated as a separate pseudo commercial entity. Oversees University Energy & Sustainability Staff and Programs including energy management ($3,000,000 annually), sustainability (Recycling, transportation, green programs, etc.) as well as student, campus and community outreach and engagement. Oversee Facilities Management staff and programs. Facilities management is the wing of Facilities that is assigned a regional responsibility (in this case student life including housing and activities space), Responsibility includes the coordination of all Engineering/Facilities activities (ranging from Operations/Maintenance/Custodial through Capital Planning & Construction) in these buildings and areas. This work includes providing technical and engineering support and facility/systems expertise to the various groups and departments occupying these buildings and utilizing the surrounding site(s).
- Associate Vice President for Facilities
- Director of University Scheduling & Events Management
- Director of Conference Services
- Director of Energy & Sustainability
- Associate Director of Space Management
- Manager of Facilities – Student Life
- Internal/External Consultants, Contractors, Vendors, and Student Staff
- Prepare and presents to Facilities Planning Committee multiple programming options that incorporate and meet critical business unit requirements and positively contribute to the financial goals and objectives. Meet with department heads to ensure optimum adjacencies and functional needs are identified.
- Prepare cost analyses of space occupancy options promoting the most cost effective solution that will meet the client’s business goals and needs. Identify groups to be moved, number of moves required, estimate costs and provide pros and cons for each proposal.
- Interact with all levels of management, customers, and suppliers both within and external to the University to ensure consensus of expectations and buy-in of approved direction and target completion dates. Negotiate areas of conflict while maintaining integrity of the approved plan.
- Identify sequencing for move plan; manages the execution of implementation plan. Ensure projects are completed on time and within budget.
- Determine labor requirements and prepare a timeline taking into account the priorities of upper management. Make independent decisions within defined areas of responsibility, developing and approving work schedules, modifying timelines to accommodate unexpected changes or delays whether management related, vendor related, or client related.
- Support engineering management in the preparation of presentation materials used to facilitate executive approval of strategic space proposals and present timely project status updates to engineering management.
- Provide engineering management with space allocation analyses, timely drawing change data, and ensuring the accuracy of the space assignment data base. Assume increasing responsibility for maintaining personnel and room data accuracy in space assignment database.
- Chair inter/intra-departmental teams. Serve as engineering representative on cross-function project teams. Be viewed and used as an information resource both within the facilities organization and by various departments on campus.
- Serve as a member of the Facilities Planning Committee and Events Steering Committee
- Design spaces to comply with building codes and regulations. Direct and demand safe work practices of internal and external resources.
- Maintains furniture and storage inventory, designed to maximize use of existing product, and donates to community organizations when appropriate. Identify excess or obsolete piece parts and reduce inventory appropriately when required.
- Manage electronic document management systems for the control and distribution of engineering documents.
- Manage as directed by engineering the OIT function in technical documentation management systems (e.g. Autocad, Maps Drive, Website, Campus Timeline, etc.).
- Assist in the development of the Facilities Department budget for area of responsibility.
- Coordinates with Engineering Project teams and their external consultants to ensure consistency of documentation and compatibility of systems used in the generation of Engineering Drawings, data and documentation.
- Ensure the compliance for all engineering documentation procedures as it relates to regulatory/compliance purposes.
- Manages Facilities Management (space assignment) databases for Facilities department and coordinates architectural floor plans.
- Manages Excavation Permits for the Engineering department and Coordinates all changes made to the West Haven Site Underground Utility Drawings.
- Responsible for both interior and exterior campus signage in accordance with university standards.
- Works with both the Art Gallery Director and Art on Campus committee to facilitate and install art on campus in accordance with facilities policies.
- Responsible for the university interior plant program
- Oversees University Scheduling and Event/Conference Operations to include the Event Management System and administration of University space usage and events policies for all campuses.
- Oversees the University’s Energy and Sustainability program
- Oversees Facilities Services for Residential Student Life including Operations, Maintenance, Custodial, Grounds, Planning, and Project Management.
Education: The Senior Director of University Space Management & Technical Services requires a MS/MA or higher At least 12 years of related facility service experience (higher education), project management, design and furniture expertise.
Experience: At least 12 years of related facility service experience (higher education), project management, interior design and furniture expertise. Must include at least 4 years of supervisory experience.
Skills: The successful candidate will have strong analytical, planning and team management skills, proven consultative and negotiation skills and a record of fiscal responsibly and accountability shown by the ability to bring projects in on time and within budget. Further, the ability to view complex issues from both short and long-term perspectives is needed. The Senior Director is able to address immediate concerns of the customer by developing alternative solutions and handling complex problems independently while maintaining the integrity of the approved plan. Flexibility is needed to meet changing priorities from either internal or external sources. Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, and a high level of credibility are imperative to develop the trust and rapport with all levels of the organization since plans are often developed through the sharing of confidential information. Independent decision making and strong judgment skills are basic to the position. Tact is required in all interactions.
Strategic use of the University Campus presents problems of an often complex nature, involve a big picture view, require both a short term and a long term focus, readily involve being a member of a cross-functional team and the ability to present and support upper management objectives even when they are contrary to the customers’ expectations or desires. Multiple options create the need for creativity, flexibility, and the ability to manage customer expectations. Initiative and self-motivation are needed to identify problems clearly and recommend solutions that are cost effective, reasonable, consistent with approved standards, and professional. A strong knowledge of design, best practices, and move management skills enable the successful completion of projects and day-to-day requests and resource usage.
This position reports to the AVP for Facilities. Projects are requested on the executive level and once Facilities/Facilities Planning Committee management agrees on the scope of the request the incumbent prepares multiple options for consideration of management. This position is accountable for the accuracy of options, realistic and complete cost estimates, clear and reasonable timelines based on the realities of the business. Upon executive approval, incumbent executes the plan meeting target timelines and budget constraints. Responsible for the planning, administration, and execution of a small-medium renovation and capital projects (estimated $1,000,000 yearly). The Senior Director of Campus Space Management is responsible for initial conceptual space proposals, action plans, implementation plans, regular status updates.
Applying Process: Candidates for the position should apply by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail to: Human Resources Department, Search #20-04M University of New Haven, 300 Boston Post Road, West Haven, CT 06516. Review of applications will continue until a selection is made. Application packets should include a letter of interest with a statement of qualifications, resume/curriculum vitae, and names, addresses/e-mail addresses and telephone numbers of three references.
The University of New Haven is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer
Apply for Senior Director of University Space Management & Technical Services
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly
More searches like this
- Administrative Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in West Haven
- Business & Administrative Affairs Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in West Haven
- Facilities Management & Physical Plant Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in West Haven
- Conference & Special Event Administration Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in West Haven