Director of Campus Planning
Reporting to the Assistant Vice President for Planning and University Architect, the Director of Campus Planning has a leadership role in matters of campus master planning, land planning, programming, and space planning and analysis. This position is responsible for coordinating enterprise-wide efforts to ensure that campus experience always expresses the sense of place and quality that is intrinsic to Virginia Tech and is in alignment with the institution’s strategic plan, mission, vision, and values.
This is a highly visible position that interacts with top-level administration of the university in strategic planning, long-range physical planning and development, and participation in advancement of the capital outlay program for the future benefit of the university. This position is responsible for developing and implementing the Campus Master Plan, district-level planning, coordinating university efforts to assure that facility and space needs are being met, supporting compliance and aspirational efforts associated with accessibility and inclusion, and ensuring that the direction of capital project program planning is integrated with long range physical planning.
This position will be responsible for providing effective vision, leadership, and strategic direction for the development and management of university space management policies and planning, as well as cultivate an appreciation among institutional leadership the importance of the university effectively managing its space.
The Director will also provide direct oversight of special projects, the development of strategic presentations, unit reporting, and may be required to represent the university in meetings.
• Advanced degree in Architecture, Urban Planning, or a related field; OR a bachelor’s degree and work experience that equates to an advanced degree.
• Comprehensive knowledge of and significant experience with all phases of master planning, long-range development planning, programming, and space planning. Experience should demonstrate a broad understanding of public sector or higher education business issues and planning mechanisms.
• Experience developing and leading public participation processes, particularly in the high education sector.
• Demonstrated commitment to accessibility and inclusion. Knowledge of accessibility issues and planning mechanisms specific to the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA) and Universal Design.
• Experience researching and preparing technically complex executive level documents, position papers, reports, proposals, and presentations on a variety of strategic topics.
• Demonstrated commitment to data-driven decision making and the use of key performance indicators in the execution (development, analysis, corrective action, communication, and pursuit and provision of feedback) of tactical, operational, and strategic responsibilities.
• Exceptional communication skills, interpersonal skills, diplomacy, and the ability to effectively interact and build trusted relationships with diverse internal and external constituencies.
• Demonstrated commitment to exceptionally responsive, consistent, and transparent service delivery to all campus constituents. Champions a responsive workforce that embraces a culture of continuous improvement, self-assessment, and accountability in a dynamic environment. Deploys, accepts, and acts on all mechanisms of stakeholer feedback to achieve results and effect change.
• Demonstrated ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks and projects; excellent organizational, leadership, and delegation skills; and ability to work collaboratively. Must have strong problem solving and conflict resolution skills to manage complex tasks and/or those that require balancing competing interests.
• Strong analytical, critical thinking, and problem-solving skills, with ability to see patterns, possess a nimble acumen, and make decisions with strong attention to accuracy, detail, and local context.
• Demonstrated patience, reliability, composure, and stability under pressure as well as a strong personal ethics commitment.
• Extensive leadership and team-building skills with a demonstrated ability to work independently and with minimal supervision, as well as exhibiting consistent professional judgement.
• Ability to travel to on-campus and off-campus facilities sites, with occasional overnight travel.
• Additional degree or advanced certification in engineering, building construction, architecture, interior design, business, management, public administration, or a related field.
• Relevant professional credential or registration.
• Intermediate to expert knowledge of Assetworks’ AiM or similar database driven facilities management software.
• Comparable managerial experience in several of the following areas: planning and/or programming, land planning, landscape architecture, and/or space management.
• Experience negotiating agreements with demonstrated communication and negotiation skills with the ability to bring parties to a consensus.
• Proficient with facilities related software and enterprise systems.
Commensurate with Experience
September 18, 2020
• Though work is performed primarily in office environment, must be able to travel to Virginia Tech properties including building sites both on and off campus to visually assess properties and situations. May traverse uneven terrain and buildings under construction.
• Some bending, reaching, pushing, pulling, standing, walking required when at property or building sites.
• Repetitive movement through use of keyboarding.
• Occasional travel, with some overnight stays.
• May be required to work additional hours to meet the needs of the department.
• As situation dictates, must wear appropriate Personal Protective Equipment (PPE).
• This position meets the criteria for issuance of a mobile communication device (such as radio, cell-phone, I-pad, I-pod, pager, etc.). Devices issued are the responsibility of the employee and are to be returned in satisfactory condition upon separation of employment. Devices are to be used according to supervisor instruction and according to relevant policies.
The successful Candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check.
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges , a school of medicine , a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School , and Honors College . The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers . A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Operations HR at email@example.com during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.
Advertised: August 25, 2020
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg
- Professional Fields Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg
- Urban & Regional Planning Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg
- Administrative Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg
- Academic Affairs Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg