Postdoctoral Researcher in Lichen Genomics
The Museum Administration Department encourages applications for a 1-year Postdoctoral Research Associate. This position will take the lead on genomic analyses targeting hundreds of lichen collections from the Southern Appalachian Biodiversity Hotspot. The Postdoctoral Research Associate will already be skilled in all aspects of working with molecular genomic data, usage of high-performance computing clusters, and have expertise in additional packages (e.g., available in R) needed to accomplish the work. The individual should expect to help generate and assemble genomic data resulting from these metagenomic organisms. This position will also be encouraged to contribute to data analyses and writing of resultant manuscripts, which will be fully co-authored.
The University of Colorado Boulder is committed to building a culturally diverse community of faculty, staff, and students dedicated to contributing to an inclusive campus environment. We are an Equal Opportunity employer, including veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Who We Are
Museum of Natural History and Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology
The University of Colorado Museum cultivates exploration and appreciation of the natural environment and human cultures through research, teaching, and community outreach. We provide academic training for graduate students in Museum and Field Studies; build, conserve, and interpret research collections; and offer exhibits and educational programs for the University and the public.
The Museum is located on the main campus of the University of Colorado in Boulder, CO, and houses the largest natural history collection in the Rocky Mountains. Currently, more than four million objects are categorized into five fields: Anthropology, Botany, Entomology, Paleontology, and Zoology. For more information about our museum and collections, please see https://www.colorado.edu/cumuseum/research-collections/anthropology
What Your Key Responsibilities Will Be
- Take the lead on genomic analyses targeting the metagenomes (fungal, algal, bacterial) of hundreds of lichen collections from the Southern Appalachian Biodiversity Hotspot.
- Skilled in all aspects of working with molecular genomic data including wet lab library preps and usage of high-performance computing clusters.
- Expertise in relevant software packages (e.g., available in R) needed to accomplish the work.
- Take the initiative on generating new WGS shotgun sequence data from these metagenomic organisms, assembling resultant DNA into rDNA and other contigs to use in downstream phylogenetic diversity analyses as well as other barcoding-based phylogenomic assays.
- Encouraged to further explore this rich genomic dataset for additional questions relevant to the grant, such as metagenomic community assembly, co-evolutionary processes, SNP-based association studies, per the candidate’s interest.
- Contribute to data analyses, figure preparation, and writing of resultant manuscripts, which will be fully co-authored.
What You Should Know
Please contact Erin.Tripp@Colorado.Edu for additional details. This postdoctoral position will be based at CU Boulder in Erin Tripp’s laboratory, and the work will be conducted in collaboration with Dr. Christy McCain and Nolan Kane. Benefits are included. We are looking for someone who can begin work immediately.
What We Can Offer
This is a 1-year, full-time position (40 hrs/week) with benefits; The anticipated salary range $55,000.00-$60,000.00, commensurate with experience, and under consideration of living expenses in Boulder, CO.
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits , including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder .
Be Courageous. Be Game-Changing. Be Boulder.
What We Require
- Ph.D. in Ecology & Evolutionary Biology, Genetics, Genomics, or Molecular Biology.
What You Will Need
- Excellent writing skills and ability to contribute substantially to manuscript(s).
To apply, please submit the following materials:
- Cover Letter
- List of References (used for phone reference checks)
During the application process you will need to enter contact information for two (2) references who will be contacted to provide letters of recommendation and additional materials, if needed, as the search progresses.
If you are selected as the finalist, your degree will be verified by the CU Boulder Campus Human Resources department using an approved online vendor. If your degree was obtained outside of the United States, please submit a translated version as an optional attachment.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Note: Application materials will not be accepted via email. For consideration, applications must be submitted through CU Boulder Jobs .
Posting Contact Information
Posting Contact Name: Boulder Campus Human Resources
Posting Contact Email: Recruiting@colorado.edu
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder
- Biology & Life Sciences Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder
- Biotechnology & Bioengineering Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder
- Other Science & Technology Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder