Assistant Director of Public Safety
Job Summary/Basic Function
Maryville is searching for an energetic and forward-thinking Assistant Director of Public Safety to join its dynamic team. The successful candidate will have a passion for working on a university campus in a fast-paced, innovative, student-centered work environment. The Assistant Director of Public Safety reports to the Director of Public Safety and is responsible for Clery compliance, emergency and disaster preparedness, supervision of shift officers, and other administrative responsibilities as assigned by the Director, including assuming the responsibilities of the department in the absence of the director. The successful candidate must be committed to fostering a culturally diverse atmosphere for faculty, staff, and students.
Primary Job Functions:
• Assists the director with the administration and management of the department and assumes responsibility for the department of public safety in the absence of the director
• Performs duties of a public safety officer as necessary and appropriate
• Assists in the responsibility for the direction and supervision of personnel to assure proper performance and activities on assigned shifts
• Keeps abreast of the law and all applicable changes in departmental rules/policies, local, state and federal laws and regulations
• Manages compliance with all federal, state and local reporting requirements, including the Clery Act
• Serves as a member of the critical incident management team and coordinates campus emergency and disaster preparedness, response and recovery planning, including planning emergency drills/table-top drills
• Provides safety and professional development of staff through training and mentoring and conducts and assists others in conducting roll call trainings and briefings designed to maintain the readiness and awareness of staff
• Oversees major event pre-planning and operations
• Demonstrated ability to interpret local, state and federal criminal and civil laws
Job functions are primarily performed in a fast-paced, indoor environment frequently requiring multi-task functioning. However, there are times when the Assistant Director will fill-in serving in a patrol role. Lifting and moving items may be required. Required lifting may be broken down into less heavy, manageable components. Movement to and from other departments on campus.
Working conditions may involve exposure to infectious disease, blood, body fluids and/or tissue as well as other unpleasant elements such as accidents, injuries, and illness. May be exposed to and be required to handle varying unpredictable, emergency, and crisis situations. Occasionally subjected to irregular hours and pressure due to multiple calls and inquiries.
• 12-month position
• This position requires on-call responsibilities 24/7 as well as some nights as scheduled
• Weekends and holidays will be split with the Director
• Bachelor’s degree
• Seven (7) years’ experience in a sworn law enforcement or Public Safety department
• Three (3) years supervisory experience in law enforcement or public safety
• Demonstrated experience in conflict management and resolution skills
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• Excellent customer service skills
• Ability to handle all situations with diplomacy, confidentiality, and trust
• CPR/AED/First Aid Certification
• Successful completion of a background check, psychological evaluation, and drug screening
• Current St. Louis County armed license or ability to obtain license within 30 days
• Familiarity with Title IX
• Familiarity with Omnigo software report writing software
• Experience with physical security and access control platforms
Open Until Filled
Special Instructions to Applicants
An offer of employment is contingent upon successful completion of a psychological evaluation, drug and background screening.
Applicants requiring University sponsorship to obtain employment authorization will not be considered for this position.
Maryville University is committed to a policy of equal opportunity and prohibits discrimination on the basis of age, disability, gender, genetic information, marital status, national origin, race/color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other status protected by law. This extends to all aspects of the employment relationship, including recruiting, hiring, training, on-the-job treatment, promotion, layoff, and termination.
Advertised: August 25, 2020
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Creve Coeur
- Professional Fields Not specified Full Time jobs in Creve Coeur
- Public Administration & Policy Not specified Full Time jobs in Creve Coeur
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Creve Coeur
- Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Creve Coeur