Collections Specialist II
Under the general supervision of the University Bursar, the Collection Specialist II is responsible for the collection of debts owed to the university by students, former students, vendors, or outside agencies.
- Resolve delinquent Perkins Loans, Kuhlman Loans, and Aged Receivables
- Perform enrollment cancellation, conduct entrance interviews, prepare and conduct exit interviews, refer uncollectible accounts either for write-off or to the Department of Education, send monthly past due messages, and perform other duties as assigned
- Communicates with students, external organizations, and other outside vendors to resolve delinquent debts.
- Performs collection activities with a focus on customer needs, provides quality standards for services, and strives to exceed the customer’s expectations review emergency loan applications
- Update the procedures manual, reconcile the collection agency statements for Perkins and Kuhlman Loans, create monthly Collection Management Report, and monitor new loans and advance report to Educational Computer Systems Inc.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Ability to compose and appropriately format correspondence and reports
- Ability to perform accurately in a detail-oriented environment
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and appropriately handle sensitive communications with employees and external agencies
- Ability to quickly learn and apply a variety of state, federal, CSU, and SJSU policies and procedures
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Excellent customer service and public relations skills
- Must be dependable and available to work overtime, possibly on Saturdays, during registration and peak periods
- Equivalent to three years of increasingly responsible financial record-keep experience, including two years in collections, lending or a related area or any combination of education and experience, which provides the required knowledge and abilities
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Experience applying a variety of state, federal, CSU, and SJSU policies and procedures
- Experience with PeopleSoft and Educational Computer Systems Inc
Classification: Collections Representative II
Anticipated Hiring Range: $3,100/month - $4,099/month
Hiring Range: $3,091/month - $5,593/month
San José State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package typically worth 30-35% of your base salary. For more information on programs available, please see the Employee Benefits Summary .
Click Apply Now to complete the SJSU Online Employment Application and attach the following documents:
- Letter of Interest
All applicants must apply within the specified application period: August 25, 2020 through September 10, 2020 . This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a contingent offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was offered the position on a contingent basis.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. Some positions may also require fingerprinting. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (e.g. H1-B VISAS)
All San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
San José State University (SJSU) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, creed, disability, ethnicity, gender, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, race, religion or lack thereof, sex, sexual orientation, transgender, or protected veteran status consistent with applicable federal and state laws. This policy applies to all SJSU students, faculty and staff programs and activities. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, and certain other federal and state laws, prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex in all education programs and activities operated by the university (both on and off campus).
Advertised: August 25, 2020 (8:00 AM) Pacific Daylight Time