School of Information & Technology Lecturer Pool
Housed in The Lucas College and Graduate School of Business of San José State University, the School of Information Systems and Technology (SISTech) is home to the Management Information Systems (MIS) undergraduate concentration within the Business major. The MIS program prepares students to excel professionally and contribute meaningfully to the knowledge/information economy and the Digital Transformation Era of the 21st century in Silicon Valley and beyond. Our school is distinguished by an award-winning team of instructors, spanning academic research and industry experience and our curriculum reflects the best practice recommendations of the Association for Information Systems (AIS) to which we have added many program innovative enhancements. The School also teaches courses within the Business Core Curriculum, required for all Business majors, introducing students of all concentrations to Business Systems and Policies and technology tools they will encounter in their careers.
The Lucas College and Graduate School of Business of San José State University welcomes applications for part-time faculty appointments to teach courses in its undergraduate programs, should an opening arise, on its main campus in San José, California, or online.
Brief Description of Duties
- We seek instructors with a passion for teaching at the undergraduate level. Must have experience and/or potential for engaging and inspiring students and ensuring learning standards are met and/or exceeded. In addition to teaching during the designated class time, duties include holding regular weekly office hours, creating and evaluating student exams and assignments and assigning grades. Participation in faculty meetings and offering input on curriculum decisions is invited and encouraged. Positions start at the beginning of a semester and appointments may be renewed on a semester-by-semester basis, based on department need, funding, and performance.
- Candidates must demonstrate awareness and experience
understanding the needs of a student population of great diversity
– in age, cultural background, ethnicity, primary language and
academic preparation – through inclusive course materials, teaching
strategies and advisement.
- All Faculty should be organizing their classes within the
Canvas Learning Management System (LMS), the official LMS provided
for the SJSU community. All classes at SJSU, whether online or not,
must be anchored in the Canvas platform to ensure faculty-student
connection in a common space as all students are directed to log in
to Canvas for online access to their classes. You will have access
to this system prior to the semester start date.
- Master’s degree and/or at least three years of professional experience (applicants wishing to teach on-line will need to complete an on-line orientation module)
- Areas of teaching include: Introduction to Business Systems,
Introduction to MIS, Database Management, Networking, Project
Management, Systems Analysis and Design, Data Analytics, CyberRisk
- Applicants should demonstrate an awareness of and sensitivity
to the educational goals of a multicultural population as might
have been gained in cross-cultural study, training, teaching and
other comparable experience.
Please be advised that an appointment is contingent upon budget and enrollment considerations and subject to order of assignment provisions in the collective bargaining agreement between California State University and California Faculty Association. These provisions state the “Order of Work,” or the order in which available courses must be assigned to faculty, starting with tenure line faculty and ending with new lecturer appointees.
Salary Range - Salary commensurate with experience.
Click Apply Now to complete the SJSU Online Employment Application and attach the following documents:
- Cover Letter
- Statement of Teaching Philosophy
- Statement of Expertise, including professional experience, courses you are qualified to teach
- List of References
To receive full consideration, applications should be complete for this continuing open position.
San José State University enrolls over 35,700 students, a significant percentage of whom are members of minority groups. As such, this position is for scholars interested in a career at a national leader in graduating URM students. SJSU is a Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI) and Asian American and Native American Pacific Islander (AANAPISI) Serving Institution; 40% of our students are first-generation, and 38% are Pell-qualified. The university is currently ranked fifth nationally in increasing student upward mobility. The University is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty so our disciplines, students, and the community can benefit from multiple ethnic and gender perspectives.
San José State University is California’s oldest institution of public higher learning. Located in downtown San José (Pop. 1,000,000) in the heart of Silicon Valley, SJSU is part of one of the most innovative regions in the world. As Silicon Valley’s public university, SJSU combines dynamic teaching, research, and university-industry experiences to prepare students to address the biggest problems facing society. SJSU is a member of the 23-campus California State University (CSU) system.
Equal Employment Statement
San José State University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability. This policy applies to all San José State University students, faculty, and staff as well as University programs and activities. Reasonable accommodations are made for applicants with disabilities who self-disclose. Note that all San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Advertised: August 25, 2020 (9:00 AM) Pacific Daylight Time
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in San Jose
- Business & Management Not specified Full Time jobs in San Jose
- Business Administration Not specified Full Time jobs in San Jose
- Other Business & Management Not specified Full Time jobs in San Jose
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Not specified Full Time jobs in San Jose