University Counselor (Part Time Temporary)
University Counselor (Part Time Temporary)
The University Counselor is responsible for assessing client needs and providing short-term counseling, crisis management, and referrals for students of Washburn University.
Essential Job Functions of Position
• Assess client needs and provide short-term counseling, crisis management and referrals for students of Washburn University to promote personal growth and good mental health.
• Consult with students, faculty and staff in a collaborative nature to provide background and support for educational study, classroom management and student behaviors and characteristics as warranted. Consult with community agencies, local or distant, to facilitate continuity of care for the student, staff or faculty.
• Compile data and compose reports relative to counseling activities. Review and update/modify information and marketing materials to educate the campus community and the public in general about counseling services available at Washburn University.
• Create, present and/or facilitate workshops, programs for student leaders/groups and class presentations based on student needs or as requested by staff, faculty, students, and student groups.
• Initiate and maintain working relationships with referral resources in the community.
• Supervise graduate interns as licensure allows.
• Perform additional job-related duties as assigned or as appropriate.
Non-Essential Job Functions of Position
• Serve on University-wide and Student Life committees as designated.
• Participate in professional organizations.
• Attend seminars, conferences, or workshops for professional development purposes and to acquire CEUs for licensing purposes
Education and Experience
Qualified mental health professional with a master’s degree in mental health field and one year of clinical experience.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
Preferred: Experience at a college counseling center and/or in a higher education setting. Experience with or knowledge of psychometric assessments.
Licenses, Certifications & Registrations
Eligible to obtain professional Kansas licensure to practice within the mental health fields no later than one year after employment.
Preferred: Current Kansas licensure as a mental health provider.
Additional Requirements (e.g. Physical Demands)
Campus Security Authority
Special Instructions to Applicant
Please submit a copy of your current license from the KSBSRB : LMLP, LCP, LP, LMFT, LCMFT, LMSW, LSCSW, LPC, LCPC (or a temporary license in any of the categories named); or written verification from the BSRB that you are license eligible. Documentation should include: 1) eligibility for licensure, 2) the specific license you are eligible for, and 3) verification that no additional coursework or other requirements are being stipulated prior to application approval.
This is a part-time temporary benefit ineligible position.
$24.00 per hour
Other - Some evening and weekend hours may be required, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday
Average Hours per Week
Months per Year
Washburn is dedicated to providing a student-centered and teaching focused academic environment and a curriculum that engages the diversity of human experience across the globe. We seek candidates who are committed to Washburn’s efforts to create a climate that fosters the growth and development of a diverse student body, and we encourage applications from members of groups that have been historically underrepresented in higher education. Application materials should clearly articulate how the candidate will contribute to the University’s commitment to diversity and inclusion through their teaching, research, and/or service.
Washburn University is an EOE . Washburn University provides equal access to and opportunity in its programs, facilities, and employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, veteran status, or marital or parental status.
Background Check Required?
Driving History Checked?
Drug Screen Required?
Anticipated Start Date
Position End Date (if temporary)
For earliest consideration apply by
Posting Close Date
Open Until Filled?
Quick Link for Direct Access to Posting
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Please select your level of licensure
- Not licensed
- Licensed in addictions counseling ONLY (You ONLY hold an LAC Or LCAC)
- Temporary License
- Full license, not clinical
- Clinical licensure
- * What license(s) for mental health practice do you currently
hold in the State of Kansas?
(Open Ended Question)
- * What is your experience with college students? Alternatively,
what experience do you have with individuals in a similar age/stage
of life? (18-25, transitioning from a minor in a parental home to
living and functioning independently)?
- I have had fewer than 10 clients meeting such a description
- I have had several clients (more than 10) at this age/stage, but they are a small portion of my overall experience
- Such clients make up 25% or more of my client history
- * I currently hold an LMLP, LCP, LP, LMFT, LCMFT, LMSW, LSCSW,
LPC, LCPC (or a temporary license in any of the categories named);
Or alternatively, I have spoken with the KS BSRB and verified my
previous field of study is approved and I am eligible to obtain a
license in one of these areas in the State of Kansas without any
additional coursework or other requirements to fulfill for license
- Yes, I currently hold one of the listed licenses
- No, I do not hold one of the listed licenses
- Yes, I have spoken with the KS BSRB and verified I am eligible to obtain a license in 1 of the areas listed above in the State of KS without any add'l coursework or other requirements for license approval.
- No, I have not spoken with the KS BSRB and verified I am eligible to obtain a license in 1 of the areas listed above in the State of KS without any add'l coursework or other requirements for license approval.
- Cover Letter
- Professional License
- Curriculum Vitae