Director of Institutional Research, Planning & Effectiveness
The Director of Institutional Research, Planning & Effectiveness provides leadership in the systematic collection, evaluation, and distribution of data to guide decision-making and support institutional improvement, planning, and reaccreditation. The director is responsible for direct management of the planning and research functions including developing policies, procedures, and operational systems and processes; overseeing of institutional and external environmental research and analysis; and coordinating strategic and unit level planning and effectiveness processes.
The Office conducts institutional studies, surveys and research and promotes an information system that meets the college’s needs for planning, strategic enrollment management, policy and decision-making, and regulatory requirements. The Director is responsible for overseeing federal, state, and external agency institutional reporting.
Persons supervised by the Director of Research, Planning & Effectiveness: Planning and Research Analyst and Research Specialist.
The Director reports to the President and serves on the senior leadership team. It requires a self-starter can work independently and as a team member. The Director must be able to interact efficiently, effectively, and collegially with employees at all levels, Board of Trustee members, and leaders in the community. There is minimal review of the work product by supervisor yet the impact of error or omission is very significant for the institution – it could ultimately affect funding and accreditation.
- Master’s degree with a strong foundation in research, assessment, design, management information systems, and report writing.
- A minimum of five (5) years’ formal experience in applied research and data analysis, preferably in higher education.
- Comprehensive understanding of higher education and the community college mission.
- Proven ability to design/prepare research/assessment studies/surveys/reports and communicate results in consumer friendly manners (visually, written, or verbally as appropriate) that enhances usefulness of the information and facilitates follow-up action planning.
- Experience with federal and regional mandatory data submission requirements. Familiarity with Maryland requirements preferred.
- Considerable technical experience with statistical analysis (e.g., SAS, SPSS, R), database, and reporting technologies. Experience with data visualization tools (e.g. Power BI, Tableau), and National Clearinghouse services (i.e. Student tracker) preferred.
- Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite applications (e.g. Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook).
- Experience with survey design concepts, administration, analysis, and reporting.
- Ability to exercise discretion with confidential information.
- Supervisory experience preferred.
For additional information or to apply for this position, please visit our website: