Director, Senior Military College Cyber Institute
The Ted and Karyn Hume Center for National Security and Technology at Virginia Tech is seeking a Director of Virginia Tech’s Senior Military College DoD Cyber Institute. The Director will have a faculty appointment in the Hume Center’s Intelligent Systems Lab (ISL). The Director will have two primary roles, 1) Serve as the Virginia Tech lead for the Senior Military Colleges (SMC) Department of Defense (DOD) Cyber Institutes program, and 2) Provide leadership and develop research programs in cybersecurity in the Hume Center.
The SMC Cyber Institute is composed of Individual Cyber Institutes and Centers at each of the six Senior Military Colleges. The Director will work to set up the Virginia Tech Center and work jointly with the SMC Coalition to develop cross-University programs aimed at increasing the cyber talent and workforce capacity to meet DOD Cyber needs. The Director will work with Norwich University (Institute Lead), the Citadel, Texas A&M University, University of North Georgia, and Virginia Military Institute to shape a multi-University SMC programs that include experiential learning, internships, scholarships, curriculum development, and applied research. The SMC Cyber Institute Director position is a part time faculty position funded by a 2-year grant from the NSA. The remainder of the Director’s time will be dedicated to building and enhancing cybersecurity research programs within the Hume Center’s ISL. ISL research leverages technologies within cyber-physical systems, data science, systems engineering, artificial intelligence, and machine learning to address critical areas of national security to include cybersecurity.
Alighted with the SMC Institute goals, the Hume Center for National Security and Technology’s mission is to cultivate the next generation of national security leaders by developing and executing research and experiential learning opportunities to engage students. Education programs engage undergraduates through experiential learning, scholarships, and internship and career opportunities in the national security sector. Research programs support graduate assistantships through sponsored research with defense and intelligence organizations. The Director will work to develop and enhance existing cybersecurity research and experiential learning programs within the Hume Center.
Current ISL research leverages technologies within cyber-physical systems, data science, systems engineering, artificial intelligence, and machine learning to address critical areas of national security to include cybersecurity. Specific areas of emphasis in cybersecurity include leveraging machine learning to improve cybersecurity defenses and attack, securing cyber-physical systems, cybersecurity test and evaluation, and intersections of cybersecurity, 5G, and artificial intelligence assurance.
- An earned M.S. in Computer Science, Statistics, Mathematics, Systems Engineering, Electrical and Computer Engineering, Psychology or a closely related field or commensurate experience
- US Citizen
- Active clearance
- Demonstrated excellence in research or evidence of high potential for such excellence
prior experience in the role of PI or Co-PI on funded research projects ability to articulate a coherent agenda of research or scholarship and to identify potential funding sources to support such research activities
- Effective communication skills
- An earned doctorate in Computer Science, Statistics, Mathematics, Systems Engineering, Electrical and Computer Engineering, Psychology or a closely related field or commensurate experience
- Active TS/SCI Clearance
- Ability and willingness to work collaboratively with administrators, faculty, and staff from a variety of disciplines and Universities;
- Experience in working with students including overseeing student internships or service-learning activities; interest or experience in mentoring students, both undergraduate or graduate, in research
- Interest or experience working effectively with a diverse student population
Commensurate with experience
September 11, 2020
Must be a US citizen.
This position may be located in either Blacksburg, VA or Arlington, VA.
The successful Candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check.
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges , a school of medicine , a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School , and Honors College . The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers . A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Sue Kass at email@example.com during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.
Advertised: August 21, 2020
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Computer Sciences & Technology Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Engineering Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Other Science & Technology Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.