Tutor Writing Center (Level I-III)
Tutor Writing Center (Level I-III)
2800 E Spring Creek Pkwy,, Plano Campus
Plano, Texas, 75074
We are searching for an experienced Tutor Writing Center (Level I-III)
Provide tutoring support services to Collin College students. Help students understand the writing process, how to write thesis statements, how to organize and develop ideas and how to correct papers for sentence fluency, grammar, punctuation and diction.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Support students' writing efforts through tutoring.
- Maintain record of each tutoring session with student.
- Report promptly to student's professor on the material covered in the tutoring session (writing problems addressed) if applicable.
- Attend staff meetings or professional development as directed.
- Maintain confidentiality of student records in compliance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA). Ensure offices and files are adequately secured on a daily basis.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Perform all duties and maintain all standards in accordance with college policies, procedures and Core Values.
WRITING CTR ASST Level I
Associate Degree in English or a closely related field from a regionally accredited institution. Writing proficiency. Some tutoring experience.
WRITING CTR ASST Level II
Bachelor's degree in English and one year teaching and/or tutoring experience required - OR - Master's degree with 18 graduate hours in English or related field, writing proficiency, and some teaching and /or tutoring experience at the college level.
WRITING CTR ASST Level III
Master's degree or higher in English or a closely related field from a regionally accredited institution. Proven proficiency in writing. Some teaching/tutoring experience at the college level.
This position is generally limited to working a maximum of 19.5 hours per week. (Maximum hours for employees with more than one part-time position at Collin College may vary.)
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of college-level composition
- Knowledge of of the English language
- Knowledge of MS Word, Excel and Publisher
- Knowledge of MLA style and format
- Knowledge of presentation software
- Organization and time management skills
- Document design skills
- Creative thinking skills
- Presentation skills
- Computer and applicable software skills
- Interpersonal skills
- Ability to create a positive tutoring and learning environment in the writing center
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
Sedentary Work - Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally, a negligible amount of force frequently, and/or constantly having to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects, including the human body. Sedentary work involves sitting most of the time. Jobs are sedentary if walking and standing are required only occasionally and all other sedentary criteria are met. Positions in this class typically require talking, hearing, seeing, grasping, standing, walking and repetitive motions. Relatively free from unpleasant environmental conditions or hazards. Office environment. Little physical effort required.
***This is a Security Sensitive position. Therefore candidates will be subject to a criminal background check.***
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of the positions given this title and shall not be construed as a declaration of the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Employees may be requested to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description. Fair Labor Standards Act (exempt/non-exempt) is designated by position. The employer actively supports Americans with Disabilities Act and will consider reasonable accommodations.
Employment Type: Part-time Staff
Compensation Type: Hourly
Compensation Range: $13.85 - 19.65
For any employment questions, please contact HR at (972) 985-3783 or email@example.com .
Collin College provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics.