Department: Computing & Information Services
Duration of Position: Full year / Full time
Position Type: Administrator
Posting Removal Date: Open Until Filled
Posting Number: 1001772
About Vassar College
Located in the scenic Mid-Hudson Valley, Vassar College is a highly selective, residential, coeducational liberal arts college. Vassar is strongly committed to fostering a community that reflects the values of a liberal arts education and to promoting an environment of equality, inclusion and respect for difference. Vassar College is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer, and applications from members of historically underrepresented groups are especially encouraged.
Vassar College is a smoke free/tobacco free campus.
Position Summary and Responsibilities Vassar College is seeking a full-time Network Administrator to configure, install, troubleshoot, and maintain wired and wireless network components such as routers, switches, firewalls, wireless controllers, and wireless access points in a multi-building enterprise campus environment. The Network Administrator will provide second tier user support for network issues and knowledge transfer to enhance first tier support by service desk personnel. Occasional work outside standard business hours is required for system maintenance and repair. This position will work closely with the Associate Director, Project Manager, and Network Technician on existing networks and new projects. Examples include retrofitting existing buildings for increased wired and WiFi coverage, a renovation project on a major campus building, and upgrade of a Cisco VoIP system.
- Monitoring and troubleshooting wireless and wired
- Configuration of access layer switches and wireless access
- Support for the physical network;
- Monitoring data closet UPSs;
- Completion of reports and summaries for CIS management,
including status reports, problem reports, progress summaries,
change management, and system utilization reports as
- Analysis of network data to identify problems and suggest
- Maintenance of system documentation;
- Participation in network and information security monitoring,
assessment, and response.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent work experience.
- One year of hands-on experience in network switching/routing
and one year experience in wireless network design and
- Must have knowledge of: Cisco CLI, Cisco IOS, Cisco wireless,
VLANs, VTP, BGP, EIGRP, static routing, STP, IP & MAC
- Strong wireless experience is required including designing,
managing, upgrading, and troubleshooting, wireless networks along
with troubleshooting a wide variety of wireless clients.
- Knowledge of RF design, propagation, and site survey experience
- Basic and network specific troubleshooting skills will be used
to monitor, improve, and expand existing network
- Solid verbal and written communication skills along with the
ability to use Google Apps Suite and other productivity tools are
- Must be able to work efficiently and cooperatively in a
multitasking, collaborative team environment.
- Strong interpersonal skills are required.
- Occasional work may need to be performed outside of normal business hours.
- CCNA, wireless certification; knowledge of: Cisco ASA, Cisco
VPN, Cisco IOS-XR, SDN, JSON, Bash, Python, TCL, VoIP, QoS, RADIUS,
802.1X, IPv6, UPSs, cooling systems, other environmental
- Experience with Cisco UC systems is a plus.
- Broad industry exposure and knowledge of current multiplatform
- Experience with vendor relations.
- Experience in a higher education or similarly complex campus environment is preferred.
Required Applicant Documents
Contact Information for 3 References
Optional Applicant Documents
Special Instructions to Applicants
To complete your on-line application, you will be required to attach a cover letter, resume and contact information for three (3) professional references (Word or PDF format required.) Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
For full consideration applicants should apply by:
Anticipated Start Date:
Anticipated End Date (If Applicable):
All applicants must apply online at: https://employment.vassar.edu.
Vassar is strongly committed to fostering a community that reflects the values of a liberal arts education and to promoting an environment of equality, inclusion and respect for difference. Vassar College is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer, and applications from members of historically underrepresented groups are especially encouraged.