Faculty Administrator, Instructional Design
The University of Central Florida’s (UCF) Center for Distributed Learning (CDL) is searching for a director of instructional design. This is a non-unit faculty administrator role analogous to an academic department chair.
UCF is one of the largest public research universities in the United States with an enrollment of nearly 70,000 students, the majority of whom enroll in online/blended courses each year. UCF has a successful 24-year history of online education excellence at scale. UCF’s CDL is an 80+ member department of diverse professionals supporting UCF’s faculty and students with a comprehensive suite of services and products. The work of the CDL has been recognized over the past two decades with multiple awards from the leading professional associations in online education. Central to the CDL’s work is the 20+ member team of graduate-degreed, faculty-ranked instructional designers.
The CDL’s director of instructional design is responsible for the overall effective functioning of the Instructional Design (ID) team in fulfilling its role of building effective relationships with online/blended teaching faculty in order to ensure high quality course design in all course modalities supported by the CDL. The director sets goals and intermediate metrics for team performance; oversees strategic programs of the ID team; and manages personnel and team processes. The director serves as “evaluator” for annual evaluations of all in-unit faculty instructional designers on the ID team, pursuant to the faculty collective bargaining agreement, and is responsible for supervision of all instructional designers. The director is a member of the CDL leadership team, contributing to the strategic functioning of the unit and ensuring that services of all the CDL teams are integrated through the work of the Instructional Design team. The director of instructional design reports to the executive director of the CDL and may represent the executive director as appropriate in university or inter-institutional committees. This position is based in Orlando, Florida and requires a regular, on-site presence. Operating hours for the CDL are 8:30am-5:00pm, Monday-Friday.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities:
* Foster an environment of collegiality, trust, and high performance within the Instructional Design (ID) team.
* Ensure effectiveness of faculty development programs maintained by the ID team.
* Maintain a high level of quality in the consultative and programmatic work of the ID team.
* Build and maintain relationships with academic department chairs and other institutional leaders.
* Participate in Chairs and Directors Council facilitated by UCF’s Faculty Excellence.
* Graduate degree in instructional design or closely-related field from an accredited institution.
* Ten years of experience working in the field of instructional design within a higher education setting.
* Experience supervising a diverse team of professionals.
* Terminal degree in instructional design or closely-related field from an accredited institution.
* Experience supervising faculty.
* Experience managing within a collective bargaining agreement context.
* Experience working within a large, complex organization/institution.
* Demonstrated excellence in fostering productive relationships with individuals at various professional levels.
* Experience teaching online.
* Active participation in position-relevant professional associations (e.g., OLC, EDUCAUSE, UPCEA, Quality Matters, etc.).
* Record of active scholarship within the field of online education.