Associate Professor / Assistant Professor (English Linguistics)
Established by the Hong Kong Government in 1989, The Open University of Hong Kong today is the largest self-financing university in Hong Kong and has developed into a dynamic, innovative, full-fledged university comprising 6 Schools.
The University began offering full-time programmes since 2001 and joined the Joint University Programmes Admission System (JUPAS) since 2007. Currently, the University offers about 200 programmes of studies with over 10,000 full-time and 9,000 part-time students in its 5 Schools namely School of Arts and Social Sciences, Lee Shau Kee School of Business and Administration, School of Education and Languages, School of Nursing and Health Studies and School of Science and Technology. In addition, there are about 2,000 full-time and 3,000 part-time students studying in Li Ka Shing School of Professional and Continuing Education (LiPACE).
The University strives to provide high quality and flexible university education at various levels, and to excel as a provider of higher education. Our full-time programmes for qualified secondary school leavers are on par with other established universities across Hong Kong. We are committed to advancing learning, knowledge, and research that meet students’ learning aspirations and society’s talent needs, focusing on practical and professional programmes. As a multi-mode university, we use innovative teaching and the latest education technology to offer world class education, guided by our core values of fairness, integrity, perseverance, and innovation.
We are now inviting application(s) for the following post in the School of Arts and Social Sciences:
Associate Professor / Assistant Professor (English Linguistics) (Ref. No.: 20000UM)
Major Duties and Responsibilities
The appointee(s) will mainly be responsible for the followings:
- undertaking course planning, development, coordination and delivery (including classroom teaching and projects/theses supervision), and where necessary;
- participating in programme administration at both the undergraduate and postgraduate levels;
- engaging in academic research, scholarly activities as well as participating in School/University activities;
- conducting quality research and obtaining external research fund;
- establishing proactive liaison with secondary schools and tertiary education institutions and other relevant stakeholders; and
- taking up any other duties as assigned by Dean (A&SS) or his/her nominee(s).
Applicants are expected to possess the following qualifications, experience and attributes:
- An earned doctorate in English Languages Studies, Linguistics or a related discipline with relevant teaching/professional experience;
- A strong record of research and peer-reviewed publications, involvement in professional and community activities;
- Good academic and professional network for promotion of the undergraduate and postgraduate programmes; and
- A good command of English and Chinese (preferably including Putonghua).
Competitive compensation package including basic salary, composite cash allowance, end-of-contract gratuity and discretionary incentive (if any) will be offered to the right candidate. Fringe benefits such as generous annual leave, staff learning and development sponsorship, medical & dental benefits and life insurance coverage will also be provided.
Application should be made online through the University’s eRecruitment System.
Deadline: 20 August 2020