Senior Instructional Designer
We are looking for a Senior Instructional Designer who applies the theory and practice of design, development, utilization, management and evaluation of processes and resources for learning.
Under the direction of the Executive Director of Innovative Instruction and Interactive Delivery, this role provides system-wide support and consultation in instructional design and implementation of innovative blended and online learning solutions associated with educational improvement in alignment with strategic vision and direction of BCM schools and programs, to include 1) project management and leading cross-functional teams, 2) blended & online learning solutions design, development, and testing, 3) facilitation, training and capacity building, 4) evaluation and quality assurance, and 5) mentoring and coaching instructional designers. The Senior Instructional Designer supports the goal to facilitate learners in acquiring knowledge, skills and competencies in an effective and appealing manner.
The Senior Instructional Designer participates in the planning, design, development, and delivery of high-quality, technology-enabled discovery and learning experiences. The instructional designer will work closely with educational leaders and faculty teaching in all modalities including technology enhanced face-to-face courses, online and hybrid or blended courses and programs. The Senior Instructional Designer will have responsibility for instructional design, project management, and collaboration with faculty to assist in the development of instructional materials to support transformation in curriculum design, innovative use of technology and enhanced learning outcomes
• Leads moderate to high risk/complex innovative blended and online learning projects through establishing project objectives, scope, risk mitigation, high-level timelines, cost-benefit analysis, project milestones, and detailed work plans. Builds collaborative positive working relationships with cross functional teams to ensure successful project completion.
Learning Solutions Design/Development/Testing:
• Working with a cross functional work teams to design, develop, and implement innovative, culture-based blended and online solutions associated with educational improvement in alignment to strategic vision and direction of the Provost. Applies learning theories, various instructional design principles and frameworks (e.g. ADDIE, Design Thinking, Agile Project Management, Improvement Science, etc.) to deliver exceptional solutions. Facilitates the design of solutions that are in the best interest of the BCM educational programs, while working with all groups to identify and mitigate risks. Collects and provides access to necessary resources needed for design and/or implementation. Directs the design of solutions and products that are assessable. Identifies risks associated with product design that are not fully within the project’s control, but are important to success with becoming a standards-based system.
Develops learning solutions to address complex challenges requiring skills in application of multimedia development software, learning management systems (LMS), web and mobile development, and visual design:
• Attempts to mitigate identified risks by proactively identifying problems and critically evaluating solution pathways. Utilizes appropriate channels (i.e., design and training teams and other internal BCM resources) to review, evaluate and decide on design change requests.
• Identifies appropriate learning solutions for testing and utilizes effective and efficient testing and evaluation methods. Oversees the testing of the products through development and execution of team-self review, peer review and live trials with educators. Plans, executes, and reports evaluations of products and processes.
- Master’s degree in Education, Instructional Design, Instructional Technology or related field.
- Five years of relevant experience in higher education.
• Expert knowledge in instructional design theories and frameworks, including blended and online learning standards and trending digital innovations.
• Expert knowledge of instructional design and multimedia development tools and software, learning management systems (LMS), web & mobile development, and visual design.
• Expert knowledge of and experience with designing and assessing standards based curriculum and the integration of culture and curriculum (e.g., lessons, units).
• Excellent interpersonal skills to communicate effectively with all stakeholders via face to face interactions, electronic and web based communications.
• Ability to facilitate complex small and large group work sessions (face-to-face, blended, or online).
• Self-motivated with the demonstrated ability to take appropriate initiative.
• Skilled in working with various constituent groups—Administrator/Management, Faculty, students, Educational Support Group – within and beyond BCM.
• Expert competence with MS Office, Google Suite, Adobe Creative Suite applications (i.e. Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, Flash, Acrobat) and a wide variety of instructional design and development tools (e.g. Articulate Storyline, Captivate, Camtasia, audio/video, web conferencing, enterprise applications, etc.).
• Knowledge of 21st century skills for students and educators.
• Experience working in collaborative teams to achieve desired outcomes and milestones.
Baylor College of Medicine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Equal Access Employer.