Infrastructure Support Specialist
The Infrastructure Support Specialist works as part of the team responsible for supporting the College’s technical environment, including servers, network, printing, telephony, cybersecurity, cloud hosting, identity management, and vendor specific hardware and software. We are looking for self-motivated collaborative team member interested in constant learning and taking on new technology challenges. Specific areas of responsibility include maintenance and going operations of the Carthage College computer network and server environments, monitoring and analysis of network and server usage statistics, telephony, and printing to confirm the environments are functioning properly, and support for campus initiatives and projects.
- Manage and maintain server environment, including Windows and Linux operating systems
- Install and maintain servers and enterprise storage, including related software and hardware, upgrades and patching
- Maintain security of servers and storage by implementing proper security software and settings, updates and other appropriate security measures
- Install and configure approved hardware and software
- Perform general database administration (SQL Server, Informix).
- Support and maintain campus network and wireless. Provide technical support at the network level: LAN and WAN connectivity, switches, routers, firewalls and telephony
- Perform daily system and network monitoring
- Perform regular security monitoring to identify any possible intrusions.
- Support and assist with campus telecommunications operations.
- Support and assist with campus printing operations.
- Execute or assist in IT hardware and software rollouts, including printers, phones, other IT resources
- Support and assist with identity management practices and systems
- Support and assist with cloud-based operations
- Assist with Tier 3 support of end user computing
- Manage disaster recovery/business continuity planning and monitor daily backups
- Requires education generally equivalent to a Bachelor’s Degree in Information Technology, Business, or other relevant discipline. It is desirable for the employee to be CISCO CCNA, CompTIA Network+, CompTIA Security+, and CompTIA Server+ Certified.
- Preferred technical skills: Active Directory and related (Group Policy, WSUS, DHCP, DNS, etc…), VMware ESXi / Nutanix environment, Windows scripting languages, Veeam, Suse Linux & Windows server patching, Palo Alto, Apache
- Requires 3 to 5 years of network and systems administration experience.
REQUIRED SKILLS, ABILITIES AND/OR LICENSURE
- Requires excellent oral and written communication skills to effectively communicate with employees, students, and faculty members.
- Requires the ability to use a personal computer and Web browser, helpdesk ticketing, and network troubleshooting software.
- Requires the ability to use server management software such as VMWare Virtual Server Environment and Windows/Linux Server Administration software.
- Requires knowledge of and the ability to use a variety of standard office equipment such as a telephone and computer keyboard.
Founded in 1847, Carthage College combines an environment of reflection and self-discovery with a culture of high expectation, so that our students uncover and ignite their true potential. As a four-year private liberal arts college with roots in the Lutheran tradition, we place a strong emphasis on both moral and intellectual values. Our prime location in Kenosha, Wisconsin, midway between Chicago and Milwaukee, allows students the opportunity to learn in a professional context. Our beautiful campus, an 80-acre arboretum on the shore of Lake Michigan is home to 150 scholars, 2,600 full-time students, and 400 part-time students. Our rich academic experience equips students with foundational knowledge and skills, preparing graduates to be lifelong learners and to lead meaningful, productive lives.
Carthage College is an equal opportunity employer (EOE) dedicated to the goal of building a culturally diverse community. We welcome applications from a broad spectrum of people, including members of ethnic minorities, women, veterans, and individuals with disabilities. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex,gender expression, gender identity, sexual orientation,national origin, protected veteran status or status as an individual with a disability.