Columbia Basin College ('CBC' or the 'College') seeks an Accessibility Specialist who will be responsible for completing intake appointments, evaluating documentation for disability services qualification and developing an individual accommodation plan for each student requesting services. This position will also provide academic and career advising to enhance retention and student success of Disability Support Services participants. The Accessibility Specialist may also assist in presenting information about our services on campus and developing and facilitating workshops relevant to our student population. In collaboration with the Director, the incumbent will provide academic and nonacademic support to the Disability Support Services participants. The Accessibility Specialist reports to the Director for the Disability Support Services.
This position is open until filled. Priority consideration will be given to applicants whose complete application has been received by September 2, 2020 at 11:59 PM PDT.
- Complete intake appointments, evaluate documentation in support of disability services and create individual accommodation plans for qualified participants;
- Provide both academic support and information regarding non-academic (i.e., shelter, transportation, clothing assistance, etc.) resources to Disability Support Services participants;
- Collaborate with outside agencies such as Division of Vocational Rehabilitation, Department of Services for the Blind, Labor and Industries and other agencies in support of students;
- Inform participants on academic and other resources available at CBC and make referrals as appropriate;
- Ensure compliance with ADA when discussing appropriate paperwork and possible accommodations;
- Provide guidance to struggling participants; inform these participants of options available to them; make referrals to the Counseling Office, Hawk Central and other CBC departments or external agencies as needed;
- Administer comprehensive needs assessments to participants and advise individual participants on creating a successful academic plan;
- Provide participants with professional/career development guidance;
- Administer assessments, make referrals and recommend resources as needed;
- Inform participants regarding core requirements of CBC and make recommendations as needed;
- Participate in regular meetings with Disability Support Services staff to maintain current information to share with program participants and to plan retention procedures;
- Maintain accurate and complete files, records and forms;
- Have knowledge of federal regulations and policies related to grant funding and to laws and regulations related to disability services in post-secondary education; and
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in health or human services or related field from a regionally accredited college or university; and
- One (1) year of experience working with persons with disabilities or working at a college or university.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS :
- Two (2) years working in a disability related field.
Accuracy : Monitor accuracy of own work; recognize and corrects errors; maintain accurate records; accomplish tasks thoroughly through concern for all the areas involved, no matter how small;
Analytical Skills : Synthesize complex or diverse information; collect and research data; identify data relationships and dependencies; design workflows and procedures;
Resourceful & Entrepreneurial : Consistently focus on end results and find most effective way to achieve goals and objectives; act on opportunities; take calculated risks; generate non-routine, non-traditional actions to overcome obstacles and achieve results;
Attitude Toward Progress and Change : Cooperate and support change and new processes; acceptance and quality performance throughout change;
Willingness to Learn : Open to learning new methods, obtaining certifications, attending training; participate in cross-training opportunities when assigned; suggest and/or research new methods; proactively look for training opportunities that would better the position and/or department;
Oral & Written Communication : Speak clearly and persuasively in positive and negative situations; listen and get clarification; respond well to questions; demonstrate group presentation skills; participate in meetings; structure and convey information clearly and effectively through both formal and informal documents; review and edit written work constructively; ability to tailor to audience in mind;
Student Centered : Attention, interest, activities and efforts are centered upon the best interest of students; create and support an environment that enables learners to achieve their personal, academic, and professional goals; provide courteous and helpful responses to all customers, whether they be students, general public or employees from another department;
Support for Diversity : Reflecting CBC's mission, vision and values, support initiatives that expand the human qualities that differentiate our workplace and educational setting; demonstrate and advocate an understanding of differences, open mindedness, compassion, sensitivity and interest in differing viewpoints given the diverse population and show a deep commitment to the involvement of colleagues, students and community members to student experience and success honoring freedom of expression as fundamental to personal, professional and organizational growth;
Accountability : Accountable for own actions, decisions, errors, mistakes and/or failures to act when appropriate; accept responsibility when given, understand what duties employee is responsible for and can be counted upon to carry out those responsibilities; and
Teamwork : Demonstrate a willingness to work with, and help others in completing job assignments, the ability to accept constructive criticism, and to cooperate with fellow employees and supervisors; demonstrate alignment with the 'Yes And' culture, (e.g., being present and listening, making each other look good, embracing change and failure and choosing positivity).
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT:
This is a twelve (12) month per year, full-time exempt position. The standard work hours will be Monday through Thursday 7:00 A.M. to 4:30 P.M., and Friday 7:00 A.M. to 12:00 P.M.; however, work hours may vary due to work demands and some evening and weekend work may be required. This position is overtime exempt.
Prior to a new hire, a background check including criminal record history will be conducted. Information from the background check will not necessarily preclude employment but will be considered in determining the applicant's suitability and competence to perform in the position.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
In the interest of providing a healthy, safe and secure educational and work environment, and in order to meet the requirements of federal legislation, it is the policy of Columbia Basin College to maintain an alcohol and drug-free workplace for our employees and students. This position is directly engages in the performance of work on a federal contract or grant which requires compliance with the College's Drug-Free Workplace Policy, as well as reporting requirements, as a condition of employment.
If you are hired, you will need to provide proof of identity and documentation of U.S. citizenship or appropriate authorization to work in this position as required by the Immigration Reform Control Act of 1986.
Columbia Basin College operates under an approved affirmative action plan and encourages applications from persons of color, women, veterans and persons of disability. The Human Resources Office is accessible to those with disabilities. If you need accommodation in application or employment, contact the Human Resources Office at (509) 542-4740.
- Ability to sit and stand for long periods of time;
- Frequent need for oral, written and auditory communication;
- Frequent use of computer and mouse;
- Occasional need for travel; and
- Occasional need to lift at least 20 pounds.
More searches like this
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Pasco
- Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Pasco
- Human Resources Administration Not specified Full Time jobs in Pasco
- Student Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Pasco
- Academic Advising & Academic Support Services Not specified Full Time jobs in Pasco