Chief of Staff - Office of the President
Chief of Staff - Office of the President
Position Number: E 1226
Salary for Announcement: The final salary will be commensurate with education and experience.
Department: President's Office
Reporting directly to the President, the Chief of Staff (COS) serves as the president's senior integrator across and among university offices and leaders. As a member of the President's senior leadership team, the COS provides operational leadership and supervision for high priority university projects, manages the president's decision-making process, and ensures coordinated implementation of high-level decisions. As a key advisor to the president, the COS will help prioritize the President's long range schedule and turn the President's goals into plans of action.
Direct Support to the President
• The COS will direct the operations of the President’s Office while maintaining constant interface with the senior leadership team to ensure that key issues are proactively addressed.
• The COS serves as the President’s liaison to various committees, constituent groups, and task forces across the university and externally as needed.
• In coordination with the President and the Executive Assistant, the COS will help strategically manage the Presidents time, by prioritizing short and medium term obligations and commitments, long-term travel, external engagements, and other requests to determine the best use of the Presidents time.
• In collaboration with the President’s Executive Assistant, the COS will monitor information flow in the President’s office to ensure the President is involved in projects or is informed when decisions are required at her level.
• COS will plan and monitor budgets and financial matters in the President’s Office and represent the President’s Office on the University’s Budget Task Force.
• In coordination with the VP Strategy and the VP Advancement, the COS will ensure strategic and balanced use of the president’s time for university events, community engagement, and public speaking.
Managing and Aligning Operational Initiatives
• The COS will create and lead, as needed, systems and processes that further operationalize the President’s focus on inclusive leadership.
• A key responsibility of the COS will be to help drive high level decision-making by overseeing or acting as the president’s representative for presidentially chartered, cross-functional and university-wide initiatives such as task forces and working groups. The COS will ensure inclusive representation on such projects and make sure timelines are met and decision-quality data and recommendations are presented to the President.
• The COS will support a dynamic and successful senior leadership team ensuring alignment and coordination among leaders in support of University’s goals and objectives.
• In support of the General Counsel/Secretary of the Board of Trustees, the COS will ensure coordinated and high quality Board meeting preparation and presentation development by senior leadership.
• In collaboration with the COO/VP Administration and Finance, COS will coordinate and provide guidance on crisis management efforts for the university and the President’s office.
• The COS will manage the Senior Leader Meeting and president’s cabinet agendas, translating discussions, plans and initiatives into timelines and clearly identifiable and accountable action items.
• The COS will work cross-functionally within and throughout the organization to develop partnershipsand identify opportunities for collaboration to proactively increase organizational effectiveness.
• Influence: Ability to promote teamwork, integration, and accountability among senior executives/peers representing disparate parts of the university.
• Diplomacy: Ability to exercise patience, tact, and compassion in aligning disparate stakeholders toward shared objectives.
• Sagacity: Ability to advise the President in making decisions that require analysis, wisdom, and judgement.
• Integrity: The ability to model university values and to exercise poise, professionalism ethical conduct in all communications and interpersonal interactions.
• Discretion: Ability to maintain strict confidentiality with personnel matters and sensitive information.
• Communication: Excellent verbal and written communication skills and highly developed interpersonal interaction skills to include the ability to exchange and interpret information to inform decision making.
• Education: Bachelor’s Degree.
• Experience in program and/or project management with significant management responsibilities.
• Experience supporting senior level executives and managing complex and sensitive initiatives.
• Experience leading and managing high functioning teams.
• Experience working in large, complex organizations.
• Knowledge of higher education organizational culture, policies and processes.
• Knowledge of government affairs and legislative strategy development and execution.
Posting Date: 08/18/2020
Closing Instructions: Open Until Filled
Special Instructions to Applicant:
IMPORTANT: In order to be considered as an applicant you must apply via the online application system, www.msudenverjobs.com.
References refers to a list of three professional references and their contact information.
Official transcripts will be required of the candidate selected for hire.
To apply, visit https://www.msudenverjobs.com/postings/14073