We are seeking a postdoctoral associate to work with project directors (Drs. Megan O’Rourke and Sarah Karpanty) to write peer-reviewed, high impact manuscripts on previously collected data focused on the impacts of landscapes and on-farm pollinator habitats on pollination, biological control, and wildlife populations. Limited additional field and lab work may be possible as well. The postdoctoral associate will be based in the Department of Fish and Wildlife Conservation in Blacksburg, Virginia but will collaborate closely with faculty in the School for Plant Sciences.
1. Collaborate with O’Rourke, Karpanty, and Dr. Chris McCullough to develop draft manuscript, “ Diverse landscapes increase marketable yields of four crops in Eastern U.S.,” into a peer-reviewed manuscript for submission to a high-impact agro-ecological journal. Conduct needed re-analyses and re-writing of draft manuscript as needed.
2. Collaborate with O’Rourke, Karpanty, and Chris McCullough to design and begin writing a synthesis paper on the effects of landscapes and on-farm pollinator habitats on on pollination, biological control, and wildlife populations. Develop an outline of a synthesis paper and any new statistical analyses needed.
3. Determine lab work plan, if needed, in collaboration with O’Rourke and Karpanty to analyze previously collected pollen samples from bumblebee colonies to determine if bumblebees are using planted pollinator farmscapes or other commonly available flowers such as clover.
4. Collaborate with O’Rourke and Karpanty to design and begin writing a paper, based on lab work and literature review, of the effects of native farmscaping practices on native and non-native bees.
• Ph.D. in agricultural or natural resource sciences
• Experience in statistical modelling and coding in program R related to ecological and agricultural datasets,
• Experience or demonstrated interest in publishing in high-impact journals in the fields of Ecology and Agriculture,
• Experience communicating science to technical and non-technical audiences,
• Interest in mentoring graduate students in ecological and agricultural research,
• Experience working collaboratively in the ecological and agricultural sciences
Commensurate with Experience
The successful Candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check;
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges , a school of medicine , a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School , and Honors College . The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers . A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Dana Keith at email@example.com during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.
Advertised: August 18, 2020
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg
- Agriculture & Animal Sciences Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg
- Biology & Life Sciences Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg
- Biotechnology & Bioengineering Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg