English Language Learners Teacher, Alternative High School (Full-time)
ALTERNATIVE HIGH SCHOOL- ENGLISH LANGUAGE LEARNERS TEACHER
Truman Middle College (TMC) is seeking a Full-Time English Language Learners Teacher to start in Fall 2020. TMC is an Alternative High School within the Youth Connection Charter School Network, open to eligible youth between 16 to 21 years old. The alternative high school aspires to empower students to rise above barriers in order to become successful college and career ready individuals. Students learn to advocate for themselves and overcome obstacles, working towards completing their high school diploma and applying their knowledge and learned skills to transition to higher education and fulfilling professions. The Alternative High School Middle College English Language Learners Teacher position is responsible for the instructional development and evaluation of English classes and the promotion of an academic environment that is conducive with the institutional goals of the college.
- Contributes to the overall planning, coordinating and implementing of instructional activities associated with each class.
- Follows and reviews curriculum and syllabus, and recommends instructional changes and improvements.
- Obtains materials such as textbooks, workbooks, audiovisuals and other ancillary materials and supplies.
- Prepares and maintains current and accurate student records of attendance and academic progress.
- Attends and provides assistance with a variety of activities of the student council and student review board.
- Master’s Degree in English and/or Writing preferred, supplemented by two years of related experience and/or training.
- Experience and a basic understanding of the social dynamics of “at risk” students.
- Type 9 - or Professional Educator License (PEL)
- ESL/ELL endorsement (preferred)
- Must be self-directed, innovative and able to assess current operations in an effort to develop practical action programs to improve the functioning of the department.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills required with the ability to interact effectively with students.
- Must be able to work well within a culturally diverse environment with the ability to handle all situations with tact and diplomacy.
WE OFFER: Excellent health and welfare benefit package and long term savings and investment programs including 403(b) & 457(b) Investment Plans and a pension plan with the State University Retirement System (SURS) Plan. Generous vacation, holiday, personal and sick days, and tuition reimbursement. For a more detailed overview of benefits, please visit the benefits page of our website.
Chicago residency is required for all full-time employees within 6 months of hire.
We are an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
Thank you for your interest in City Colleges of Chicago!
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Chicago
- Humanities Not specified Full Time jobs in Chicago
- English & Literature Not specified Full Time jobs in Chicago
- English as a Second Language Not specified Full Time jobs in Chicago
- Foreign Languages & Literatures Not specified Full Time jobs in Chicago