CIRES/NOAA NCEI Full Stack Software Developer
The Cooperative Institute for Research in Environmental Sciences (CIRES) at CU Boulder conducts collaborative research with NOAA’s organization under NESDIS called the National Centers for Environmental Information (NCEI). CIRES has an immediate opening for a well-qualified Software Engineer ! The successful applicant will be a member of a small team responsible for an exciting variety of duties related to the development of software-based solutions that meet science driven requirements. This software team is the primary contributor to the OneStop open source project, https://github.com/cedardevs/onestop communicating NOAA's environmental science data to the web. Ideal applicants will have enterprise software development experience using both front-end and server-side technologies. A history of working optimally in small innovative software teams and a flexible, upbeat approach to collaborating with colleagues is a must. Applicants must possess good analytical and problem-solving skills and demonstrate experience successfully implementing and testing software applications. Applicants should also exhibit strong attention to detail and the ability to conceptualize user requirements into customer-friendly and efficient software applications.
Due to the level of security clearance required for this role, U.S citizenship or permanent residence (green card) is a requirement for consideration.
The University of Colorado Boulder is committed to building a culturally diverse community of faculty, staff, and students dedicated to contributing to an inclusive campus environment. We are an Equal Opportunity employer, including veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Who We Are
At CIRES, more than 800 environmental scientists work to understand the dynamic Earth system, including people’s relationship with the planet. CIRES is a partnership of NOAA and CU Boulder, and our areas of expertise include weather and climate, changes at the Earth’s poles, air quality and atmospheric chemistry, water resources, and solid Earth sciences. Our vision is to be instrumental in ensuring a sustainable future environment by advancing the scientific and societal understanding of the Earth system.
National Centers for Environmental Information website:
What Your Key Responsibilities Will Be
- Work in a small agile focused team, developing new code as well as refactoring or re-implementing NOAA mission-critical public-facing applications. Incorporate code auditing results for security and general code quality.
- Design and execute full software development life-cycle
- Work with data managers and operations staff to test and validate application updates and to ensure full functionality for customers.
- Work with an existing Agile Scrum team to incorporate best practices, standards, and to identify design and code reuse.
- Update or build application support documentation as needed.
- Research and evaluate commercial and open-source software tools and approaches
- Provide engineering support to operations staff when building, deploying, configuring and supporting public-facing systems
What You Should Know
This position will be rostered in CIRES at CU Boulder but will be physically situated in the David Skaggs Research Center, 325 Broadway, Boulder, CO 80305. If you are the selected finalist you will be required to pass a federal laboratory background clearance for site access.
What We Can Offer
We can offer a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package.
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits , including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder .
Be Driven. Be Engaged. Be Boulder.
What We Require
- Due to the level of security clearance required for this role, U.S citizenship or permanent residence (green card) is a requirement for consideration.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or similar technical field.
- Experience as a software engineer; proven success developing a variety of software systems with responsibility for analysis, design, implementation and deployment tasks
What You Will Need
- Ability to develop asynchronous, detailed applications incorporating multiple database systems as part of the overall application architecture
- Understanding of data structure, software design patterns, object-oriented analysis, and design
- Be comfortable and effective working in a telework environment
- Strong communication skills
What We Would Like You To Have
- Experience and willingness to work in an Agile development environment
- Experience building microservices and rest APIs in Java
To apply, please submit the following materials:
- Resume or CV
- Cover letter addressed to the Search Committee briefly describing your qualifications, professional goals, and specific interest in this position.
- List of contact information for 3 references who will be willing to write a confidential Letter of Recommendation for you.
If you are selected as the finalist, your degree will be verified by the CU Boulder Campus Human Resources department using an approved online vendor. If your degree was obtained outside of the United States, please submit a translated version as an optional attachment.
Applications will be reviewed as they are received. Position will remain posted until filled.
Note: Application materials will not be accepted via email. For consideration, applications must be submitted through CU Boulder Jobs .
Posting Contact Information
Posting Contact Name: Christopher Esterlein
Posting Contact Email: Christopher.Esterlein@Colorado.EDU
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder
- Computer Sciences & Technology Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder
- Geology & Earth Sciences Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder
- Other Science & Technology Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder