CUSTODIAN (2 Positions)
CUSTODIAN (2 Positions)
San Jose/Evergreen Community College District
Close/First Review Date: 08/02/2020
Campus Location: San Jose City College
The Custodian will report to the Facilities Manager at San Jose City College. The work schedule is 12 months per year; Monday - Thursday; 8:00 p.m. to 4:30 a.m. and Friday; 2:30 p.m. - 11:00 p.m. (*A 5% night differential will be added).
This position is represented by the California School Employees Association (CSEA), Chapter 363.
Reporting to a Custodial Supervisor or assigned administrator, perform a wide variety of custodial, maintenance, and moving tasks in the care, cleaning and setup of assigned classrooms, offices and facilities and keep them in a clean, sanitary, and safe condition.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Sweep, scrub, mop, wash, polish, strip and wax concrete, linoleum, tile, and wood floors using various low and high speed power machines; scrub, clean, and seal cement, terrazzo and ceramic tile floors.
2. Operate a hot water pressure (steam) cleaner in the cleaning of aggregate and cement floor surfaces.
3. Burnish, re-stripe and refinish hardwood gymnasium and other hardwood flooring.
4. Scrub baseboards and walls; vacuum, shampoo and spot-clean carpeting; clean ceilings, air vents, and light fixtures.
5. Dust, wash, and polish furniture and woodwork; wash and clean windows, walls and chalkboards, whiteboards and smartboards.
6. Clean and maintain restrooms, shower and locker rooms, cafeterias, offices and related facilities.
7. Empty and clean waste receptacles; sweep sidewalks, pick up papers and clean drinking fountains.
8. Replenish supplies and fill paper and soap dispensers; deliver supplies, furniture and equipment from one campus location to another.
9. Turn out lights, lock doors and windows, and set alarm to ensure security of the buildings and restricted areas.
10. Use a variety of electrical, mechanical, and hand tools to move, set up and knock down staging, seating, and audio-visual equipment used for community or District activities and events.
11. Operate manual sprayers for insecticides inside buildings.
12. Assemble, set up, or move furnishings such as desks, file cabinets and chairs including heavy items such as fireproof cabinets, weight room equipment and computer equipment.
13. Operate District vehicles such as a flatbed truck, a manual transmission moving van and other vans, station wagons, dump truck, gas and electric forklifts.
14. Set up and work off scaffolding, ladders, and other equipment at heights to 30 feet to clean windows and vents.
15. Test new products and equipment; report (oral or written) on results.
16. Use materials such as cleaning products, chemicals, floor finishes, stripers, insecticides and pesticides.
17. Carry portable radio or cell phone during work and be available for general custodial duties anywhere on campus.
18. Observe and report conditions which may indicate vandalism, illegal entry or fire hazard.
19. Work as a team for the set up and cleanup of athletic, community service and college events.
20. Input work orders; fill in for a custodian at any district location as assigned.
21. Lift, carry, and move heavy objects.
22. Replace carpet tiles and make minor repairs to furniture as needed.
23. Assist in compiling District property inventories.
24. Assist in the training of new Custodial employees.
25. Perform other related duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
1. Effective and safe methods used in general custodial/janitorial work;
2. Operation and use of power driven equipment, including light truck, moving van, forklifts and utility vehicles.
3. Operation, use, and maintenance of wet and dry vacuum machines, low and high speed floor machines, rotary and “steam” carpet shampoo machines, high pressure “steam” cleaners, and power driven sweepers.
4. Operation and maintenance of hand sprayers for insecticides.
5. Safe and proper method of collecting and disposing of hazardous materials.
Skills and Ability to:
1. Read, write, and speak English.
2. Understand and carry out oral and written instructions specified in English.
3. Exercise judgment in carrying out assigned tasks without detailed instructions.
4. Operate office equipment, computers, smartphones and tablets with related software.
5. Use cleaning materials and equipment with skill, efficiency, and safety.
6. Perform sustained physical labor requiring lifting and carrying up to 50 pounds without assistance.
7. Safely operate custodial power driven equipment and floor cleaning machines and equipment.
8. Safely work on scaffolding and ladders at heights up to 30 feet.
9. Work in areas that may require use of respirator or protective clothing.
10. Pass a complete physical examination prior to permanent appointment.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
1. Completion of formal or informal education which assures the ability to read, write and speak at the level sufficient for successful job performance.
2. Experience in building or related cleaning work.
Special Licenses, Certificates, etc.:
1. Possession of a valid California Class C Driver’s license.
1. Bilingual abilities, desirable.
District’s Diversity Requirements
- Demonstrated sensitivity, knowledge and understanding of the
diverse academic, socioeconomic, gender identity, sexual
orientation, cultural, disability, and ethnic background of groups
historically underrepresented, and groups who may have experienced
- Success integrating diversity as appropriate into the major
duties outlined in the job description and in the duties listed in
the District’s hiring policy; or demonstrated equivalent
transferable skills to do so.
$47,478 - $57,911 Annual Salary (Range 65: Classified Salary Schedule Fiscal Year 2019-2020). Starting placement is generally at Step 1.
Excellent fringe benefit package includes a pension, medical, dental, vision, EAP (employee assistance plan) and life insurance for employee and eligible dependents, and income protection. Voluntary plans include supplemental life insurance, Flexible Spending Accounts, 403b and 457 Deferred Compensation Accounts. Classified employees also receive vacation, 12 sick leave days and 18 paid holidays.
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: https://sjeccd.peopleadmin.com/
About San Jose/Evergreen Community College District
The District is represented by dedicated and talented employees who are passionate about providing our student population with the best educational experience possible. The District recognizes that cultural diversity in the academic environment promotes academic excellence; fosters cultural, racial and human understanding; provides positive roles models for all students, and creates an inclusive and supportive educational and work environment for its employees, students, and the community it serves.
As of fall 2017, with enrollment of approximately 18,500 per semester, and an extremely diverse student population (Hispanic/Latino 44%, Black/African-American 4%, Asian/Pacific Islander 32%, American Indian/Native American 0.5%, White/Caucasian 11%) attaining educational goals reflecting 45% - AA Degree and Transfer to a 4-Year College/ University, the District’s emphasis on student success makes it a recognized educational leader in the State.
The District encourages a diverse pool of applicants to serve as colleagues to an existing diverse group of managers, supervisors and confidential staff consisting of 29 % Hispanic/Latino, 13% Asian/Pacific Islander, 7% Black/African American, 23% White/Caucasian, and as well as encouraging applications from all qualified, outstanding applicants.