Career Counselor, Career Center
Metropolitan State University, Minnesota’s public, urban university, and recipient of the 2019 Insight Into Diversity Higher Education Excellence in Diversity (HEED) Award is seeking to hire a Career Counselor. This is a full-time position within the Career Center.
- Provide individual, group career counseling and conduct presentations to college students on topics including major and career decisions, internship and job search, resume, cover letter and interview preparation to aid in retention efforts.
- Assist with outreach to the university community by representing the Career Center at New Student Orientation, Preview Days and other university-sponsored events.
- Coordinate projects including collecting and analyzing data for the department. Coordinate technology-based content and resources for students, staff, and alumni.
- Provide ideas, best practices and programs to academic departments to integrate career readiness information and resources.
- Develop partnerships with employers to identify employment opportunities and engage their participation in recruiting students and alumni.
The following qualifications are required of all
applicants seeking consideration for this position. Only applicants
whose resumes clearly demonstrate fulfillment of each of these
minimum qualifications will be considered for the
- Bachelor’s degree plus three years of career development professional experience in business, nonprofit or higher education.
- Knowledge of and training in career development in education or business and industry.
- Experience serving a student population with diverse cultural backgrounds, academic interests and goals, including specific populations (e.g. ex-offenders, students with disabilities, international students, etc.).
- Experience working in a higher education career center or related setting with demonstrated skills in career counseling and developing career education resources.
- Professional experience designing, developing, and delivering career education materials and resources.
- Demonstrated strong intercultural and interpersonal communication skills, both oral and written.
- Experience working collaboratively to execute team goals as
team lead and contributing partner.
- Master’s degree plus one year of career development professional experience in business, nonprofit or higher education, or related field.
- Experience with system tools, including ISRS, and other career exploration tools (such as Handshake).
- Experience interacting with employers and developing employer
Physical Requirements of the Job: This requires occasionally lifting such articles as file boxes and heavy hand tools or heavier materials with help from others and/or lifting and carrying light objects frequently. Even though the weights being lifted may only be a negligible amount, a job is in this category may require walking or standing to a significant degree or may involve sitting most of the time with a degree of pushing and pulling of arm and/or leg controls.
The University: Metropolitan State University, a member of the Minnesota State system, is a public, urban university located in Twin Cities Metropolitan area. The University provides an excellent, inclusive and engaging education to eliminate opportunity gaps and lead the Twin Cities community to a prosperous and equitable future. Recognized as a Minority Serving Institution, its employees serve approximately 11,000 students, two-thirds of whom are from communities of color or American Indian nations, are first in their family to attend college or are eligible for Pell grants. Metropolitan State is recognized by CollegeNet as a leading higher education promoter of social mobility for students (Ranked #21 out of 1380). The university offers programs leading to baccalaureate, masters and doctoral degrees. We provide accessible, high quality liberal arts, professional and graduate education with continued emphasis on marginalized groups, including adult learners. Recognized in 2008 and 2014 by the Carnegie Foundation for Community Engagement and named to the President’s Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll, the university is committed to academic excellence and community engagement through curriculum, teaching scholarship and services designed to support an urban mission.
Visit our web site at http://www.metrostate.edu
For campus safety information and crime statistics visit:
The School/Academic Department: The Career Center’s vision is that students from all backgrounds will have the mindset, know-how, skills, and opportunities to achieve their academic, career, and related life goals.
Our mission aligns with our institution’s: we provide career education to help students live meaningful, purposeful, successful lives while building economically sustainable careers and lifetime employability.
Learn more at https://www.metrostate.edu/career
Salary: This is a Minnesota State University Association of Administrative and Service Faculty (MSUAASF) Range C position with a salary range of $43,785 (minimum) to $75,840 (maximum). Salary is commensurate with education and experience, and is determined by the collective bargaining agreement between Minnesota State Colleges and Universities (Minnesota State) and the MSUAASF organization.
* Employment for this position is covered by the collective bargaining agreement for the MSUAASF which can be found at:
Application: To apply, go to https://metrostate.peopleadmin.com/postings/1583
Applications must be received by 11:59 PM on Closing Date: Tuesday, September 8
Qualified applicants are required to attach the
following documents to their online application:
- Cover letter of interest addressing how your qualifications align with the requirements of this position.
- Current curriculum vita or resume.
- Names of four (4) references with addresses, email addresses and telephone numbers.
- Transcripts - Valid unofficial copies of your transcript showing conferred/awarded date, your name and the academic institution’s name/logo are required. We do not accept copy/paste word documents with a list of courses/grades or DARS reports. If selected for hire, official original transcripts will be required.
*To comply with privacy and data practices requirements, please refrain from including personal information or photographs in your application materials.
If you have other questions related to this position announcement, please contact Human Resources, at 651.793.1275 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For TTY, call Minnesota Telecommunications Relay Service (TRS) at 7-1-1 or 1-800-627-3529.
Notice: In accordance with the Minnesota State Vehicle Fleet Safety Program, employees driving on university business who use a rental or state vehicle shall be required to conform to Minnesota State’s vehicle use criteria and consent to a motor vehicle records check.
Metropolitan State University is an Equal Opportunity employer/educator committed to the principles of diversity. We prohibit discrimination against qualified individuals based on their race, sex, color, creed, religion, age, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, or membership in a local commission as defined by law. As an affirmative action employer, we actively seek and encourage applications from women, minorities, persons with disabilities, and individuals with protected veteran status.
The University provides reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities upon request.