Custodian (2nd shift)
Ensures that the assigned buildings and surrounding areas provide comfort, safety and a homelike atmosphere through effective cleanliness, sanitation, and maintenance.
Full time, year round. 5:30pm – 2:00am. Schedule may vary according to departmental and Academy needs
This position is considered “Essential Personnel” in the event that:
- an emergency occurs on the PEA Campus or in the vicinity that would impact PEA;
- inclement weather forces the closing of campus or;
- other emergency events deemed appropriate.
Essential Personnel are required to report to or remain at work if instructed to do so if contacted directly by the supervisor (or his/her designee), the Principal or a member of the Principal’s Staff (Leadership Team).
- Dusts surfaces.
- Sweeps, mops, vacuums, and cleans and shampoos floors/carpets.
- Strips, washes, and buffs floor areas.
- Replaces light bulbs.
- Washes walls, glass partitions, and assessable windows (inside and out).
- Cleans toilets, bathrooms, and common areas.
- Observes building mechanical equipment and reports repairs/failures to lead person.
- Uses work order system to report deficiencies and follow up on open orders.
- Makes minor repairs to fixtures and furnishings with simple hand tools.
- Moves furniture and performs special moving assignments.
- Locks/unlocks public buildings as required.
- Removes rubbish and cleans containers.
- Operates power cleaning equipment such as polishing machines and wet/dry vacuums.
- Cleans entrances, shovels snow, and performs general yard care to maintain appearance of entrances.
- Requisitions and receives supplies.
- Assists in loading and unloading trucks.
- Maintains equipment including changing filters, checking safety and cleanliness of machines.
- Maintains good communications with dorm or departments heads and brings issues to leads.
Incumbent works under the guidance of the Lead Custodian and Senior Manager of Events and Services, but is expected to work with a high level of independence and autonomy, and exercise a high degree of initiative, influence, and judgment in decisions impacting staff and department operations.
Expected to solve problems or address issues that require immediate attention.
Internal & External Contacts
Frequent contact with students, Dean of Students office, PEA administrative and academic offices, faculty, coaches, and staff. External contacts may include parents, outside organizations, visitors and local community neighbors.
- High school diploma or GED preferred.
- Previous custodial experience preferred.
- Experience working with adolescents in an educational setting is preferred.
Skills & Knowledge
- Ability to work independently and achieve high results with minimal supervision.
- Ability to operate commercial floor care equipment and climb ladders.
- Respect for diversity of identities and experiences, an orientation toward equity and inclusion, and cultural competency in all aspects of Academy life.
- Knowledge of commercial cleaning methods, materials, and equipment.
- Ability to perform duties using medium to heavy physical exertion on regularly recurring basis.
- Ability to learn and apply new skills and techniques.
- Maintain updated knowledge of the schedules, procedures and use of equipment and supplies used in custodial work.
- Strong interpersonal skills with ability to develop and maintain collegial relationships.
- Excellent communication (written and verbal) skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work with students by building trust and credibility.
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills as well as a strong customer focus.
- A strict adherence to confidential policies is required.
- Possess basic computer skills.
- Willingness and ability to learn additional applications as needed.
- High degree of organizational skills with the ability to be flexible and multi-task with accuracy.
- Ability to follow verbal and written directions, maintain a professional demeanor and restraint at all times, including stressful situations.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Physical demands are in excess of those for sedentary work and will require the ability to remain standing for extended periods of time, go up and down flights of steps, lift and push heavy objects as well as stoop, squat, bend, kneel, crouch, and lift.
- Ability to lift and transport a minimum of 50lbs without assistance.
- Reaching by extending hand(s) or arm(s) in any direction.
- Finger dexterity required to manipulate objects with fingers rather than with whole hand(s) or arm(s), for example using a keyboard.
- Communication skills using the spoken and written word.
- Ability to see with normal parameters.
- Ability to use a visual display terminal with continuous wrist movement on a keyboard.
- Ability to hear within normal range.
- Ability to withstand exposure to inclement weather (rain, snow, sleet, freezing temperatures, etc.)
- Successfully complete a criminal background check (reviewed every 5 years).
- Clean Driving record (reviewed annually).
- Must consistently wear assigned uniform and equipment and adhere to the appearance guidelines.