Assoc Dir, Facilities & Operations (9175)
The Associate Director, Facilities & Operations (9175) plans, directs and monitors facilities management and operations services including grounds, maintenance of building systems, facility construction, furniture purchases and renovations for the Kogod School of Business (KSB). Confers and provides leadership to department personnel and assists and advises KSB Senior Leadership for the overall operation of the physical plant. The position also oversees the administrative support program, directing staff to ensure completion of projects and proper functioning of business and program operations.
1. Facilities Management
Manages overall operations of the physical plant, providing administrative support, purchasing and distributing work items and administering contracts. Ensures proper upkeep of facilities, to include HVAC, plumbing, grounds, housekeeping, electrical, and mechanical systems, elevators, fire safety, carpentry, pest control, lighting, cleanliness, sanitation, snow removal, etc. Responds to complaints regarding such matters as custodial care, building safety and other building support requirements. Provides oversight for space use and facilities administration including KSB laboratory and conference spaces. Represents KSB on University Task Forces, Strategic Imperative Committees, and University-wide working groups. Serves as a liaison to the Office of the Provost, Facilities Management, and Office of Planning and Project Management. Coordinates and manages space and office support issues for KSB academic departments.
2. Maintenance Planning
Develops preventive maintenance plan with established frequencies, times, standards and methods and develops systematized program of cleaning. Ensures periodic preventive maintenance and special inspections of all equipment. Plans for and schedules work to be done within available resources, engaging subcontractors as needed to assist in maintenance and repair and conducts inspections to assure that work performed meets requirements. Develops long-range proposals which exceed the basic procedural maintenance and to optimize the services available across the enterprise.
3. Supervision of Staff
Hires, onboards, and trains staff. Provides coaching and feedback and evaluates performance. Seeks opportunities and encourages staff in professional and skill development. Designs and implements trainings using learning outcomes for new staff each semester as well as regular training sessions throughout the semester.
Essential Functions (Continued)
4. Emergency Preparedness
Works with AU’s Department of Risk, Safety and Transportation Programs to assure the safety of students, faculty, and staff. Implements physical plant changes as requested by AU’s Offices of Police and Emergency Preparedness. Develops educational programs for KSB faculty and staff on key safety concerns. Represents KSB on University Task Forces, Strategic Imperative Committees, and University-wide working groups. Serves as a liaison to the Office of the Provost, Facilities Management, and Office of Planning and Project Management for COVID-19 and other emergency response planning.
5. Budgetary Oversight Prepares, justifies and recommends annual operating budget to be able to maintain the proper upkeep of facilities and operations support. Reviews status and reallocates resources to meet changing conditions. Maintains appropriate cost records, reports and evaluations and makes recommendations to Assistant Dean. Assists in establishing cost control procedures to determine whether expenditures are within budgetary limitations. Recommends and develops department policy and procedures.
6. Other Duties as Assigned by Dean or Assistant Dean
- Three full time Administrative Assistants.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
- Full time
- Project Leader/Advisor B
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent
- 8-10 years of relevant experience
Preferred Education and Experience
- Experience in an academic setting
- Experience in an area related to facility management/operations
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
- Highly organized and outcomes orientation.
- Excellent communication skills, team player, high level of technology awareness, especially as it pertains to the facility scheduling.
- Click here to learn about American University's unique benefit options
Current American University Employees:
If you are a current full-time or part-time staff member at American University, please log intoAsuccessfulU through themyAU portal . Once in AsuccessfulU, please select the Careers tile which will take you to our internal career page.
For more information or assistance with the American University careers site, email firstname.lastname@example.org .
American University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution that operates in compliance with applicable laws and regulations. The university does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex (including pregnancy), age, sexual orientation, disability, marital status, personal appearance, gender identity and expression, family responsibilities, political affiliation, source of income, veteran status, an individual’s genetic information or any other bases under federal or local laws (collectively "Protected Bases") in its programs and activities.
Nearest Major Market: Washington DC
More searches like this
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Other Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Facilities Management & Physical Plant Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.