Human Resources Specialist
Human Resources Specialist
Human Resources Specialist
Human Resources - 35700
Primary Purpose of Organizational Unit
The Human Resources Department provides a full range of professional human resource services to the University of North Carolina at Wilmington in the areas of employment services, position management, classification and compensation, salary and benefits administration, human resources information systems, staff learning, development and engagement, leadership, recognition programs, diversity and inclusion programs, and employee relations for SHRA and EHRA employees. The Associate Vice Chancellor for Human Resources is further responsible for directing EHRA and SAAO employment and compensation administration, coordinating faculty recruitment, and exercising EEO /AA approval authority on behalf of the Chancellor for all hiring and promotional decisions. The position management function includes EHRA / SHRA status determinations for all positions campus-wide and decentralized classification authority. Salary and benefits administration includes EHRA and faculty positions as well as SHRA positions with decentralized authority as well.
Human Resources - 35700 College
The University of North Carolina Wilmington, the state’s coastal university, is dedicated to the integration of teaching, mentoring, research and service. Widely acknowledged for its world-class faculty and staff and continuously recognized at a national level for scholarly excellence and affordability, UNCW offers a powerful academic experience that stimulates creative inquiry and critical thinking and a community rich in diversity, inclusion and global perspectives.
A public institution with nearly 18,000 students, UNCW offers a full range of baccalaureate- and graduate-level programs, as well as doctoral degrees in educational leadership, marine biology, nursing practice and psychology; and many distance learning options, including clinical research, an accelerated RN-to-BSN program, an Executive M.B.A. program structured for working professionals, and the nation’s only bachelor’s degree program focused on coastal engineering.
The university’s efforts to advance research and scholarly activities have earned UNCW the elevated designation of “Doctoral Universities: High Research Activity” institution (R2 University) by the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education.
UNCW has been part of the University of North Carolina System since 1969.
Location of Workplace
Main UNCW Campus
Brief Summary of Work for this Position
The Human Resources Specialist provides broad, varied, and complex administrative and technical support for UNCW’s recruitment efforts in attracting a talented and diverse workforce. Primary areas of responsibility include daily applicant support, operational/technical support to the Talent Acquisition Consultants, and responding to campus stakeholders and external constituents. This position performs applicant screening for assigned postings, delivering qualified candidates to hiring leaders and successfully completing the hiring process for each assigned posting. The HR Specialist also performs beginning-to-end Applicant Tracking System ( ATS ) workflow execution, supports activities to the Talent Acquisition Consultants and effectively and accurately utilizes and inputs data into the ATS (PeopleAdmin) and HRIS (Banner).
The Human Resources Specialist position works collaboratively as a member on the Talent Acquisition Team in the HR Department and with constituents across the campus, providing outstanding customer service in all aspects of responsibility. This position prepares resources and other materials for the Talent Acquisition website, administers a variety of system maintenance activities to support effective recruiting processes, provides exceptional candidate care for applicants throughout the process for assigned postings, provides updates to candidate’s progressing through the search process and is regularly using the ATS and other systems, social media, job boards, etc., in recruitment efforts. The position also participates in the monitoring, and maintenance of workflows, processes, procedures and systems. The HR Specialist maintains a broad understanding of HR policies including OSHR (Office of State Human Resources), UNCW, and UNCSO (University of North Carolina Systems Office) administrative policies and shares this knowledge with others. This position requires diplomacy and tact when working with hiring managers and their staff. This position will report to the Assistant Vice Chancellor for HR and is responsible for maintaining confidentiality of applicant materials and other sensitive information managed in the Human Resources Department.
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements
Graduation from a four year college or university; or an equivalent combination of training and experience
- Knowledge of HR policies and procedure
- Knowledge of employment laws and regulations relating to employment
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to provide exceptional customer service
- Ability to establish priorities and proceed with objectives
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a team
- Ability to work in a sensitive, confidential environment and maintain confidentiality and data integrity of personnel records and other related information
- Ability to anticipate peak work periods and plan accordingly
- Ability to be creative while exhibiting strong attention to detail, accuracy, and deadlines
- Ability to maintain compliance with a variety of policies and procedures
- Must be self-motivated and able to take initiative independently
- Intermediate proficiency using Microsoft Suite – Excel (v-lookup, pivot tables,) Word, PowerPoint, Teams, SharePoint, Zoom, Adobe and other related software and programs; calendar tools; Outlook, internet, etc.
- Meticulous organizational skills and attention to detail when completing work
- Agility to work under pressure, managing multiple priorities, with competing deadlines, while experiencing frequent interruptions and processing a high volume of work that requires accuracy in a fast-paced, continuously changing environment
Preferred education, professional skills and experience
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in Human Resources, Business Administration, or a closely related field
- 1 year of direct, professional level experience in recruiting/talent acquisition, preferably in a public higher education setting
- Knowledge of best practices and current trends in talent acquisition
- Experience using Banner or other related ERP system; knowledge of or ability to understand HR processes for data entry into Banner
- Experience using PeopleAdmin or other related applicant tracking systems
- Adeptness at change, recognizing obsolete practices, and ability to research, analyze, recommend, and implement best practice solutions
- Innovative inclination with solid judgment to make good choices and solve problems
- Flexibility and commitment to learn new tasks/systems/duties/assignments
Required Certifications or licensure
SHRM -CP preferred
$42,000 - $51,645
1.0 (40 hours per week)
Months Per Year
Monday - Friday
8:00AM - 5:00PM
Anticipated Ending Date if Time-Limited
Job Posting Date
Posting Close Date
Special Notes to Applicants
PLEASE NOTE ; This position is time-limited with the possibility of continuation pending availability of funds and department need.
This posting will close at 11:59PM on the posted closing date. To receive full consideration, please be sure you have fully completed the entire application before you apply for this position. Failure to answer all required questions will cause the system to disqualify your application.
For more info/to apply visit http://jobs.uncw.edu. Applications must be submitted through the online application system to be considered.
You will be required to attach a cover letter and resume to successfully apply for this position. To receive full consideration, please be sure you have completed the ‘Work History’ section of the application before you apply for this position.
This position is being recruited at the Journey level. If no applicants apply who meet the required competency and training & experience requirements, then management may consider other applicants. Salary would be determined based on competencies, equity, budget, and market considerations.
At the University of North Carolina at Wilmington ( UNCW ), our culture reflects our values of inclusion, diversity, globalization, ethics and integrity and innovation and we are committed to providing equality of educational and employment opportunity for all persons without regard to race, sex (such as gender, gender identity, marital status, childbirth, and pregnancy), age, color, national origin (including ethnicity), religion, disability, sexual orientation, political affiliation, veteran status, military service member status, genetic information, or relationship to other university constituents – except where sex, age, or ability represent bona fide educational or occupational qualifications or where marital status is a statutorily established eligibility criterion for State funded employee benefit programs. UNCW believes that embracing the unique contributions of our faculty, staff and students is critical to our success and paramount in being recognized for our global mindset.
External Link to Posting
- Cover Letter
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you have experience working in a University Setting?
- Yes, more than three years at a professional level.
- Yes, less than three years at a professional level.
- Yes, as a student worker.
- No, I do not have any experience working in a University Setting.
- * Please describe your experience working in an Applicant
Tracking System (ATS).
(Open Ended Question)