Senior Accounting Technician
Senior Accounting Technician
Ideal Candidate Statement
Ohlone College is seeking a highly qualified candidate to join its Business Services team. The successful candidate will play an important role processing vendors' invoices as well as preparing related reporting to various regulatory agencies.
This role requires integrity, judgment, discretion and reliability. It also requires the ability to process invoices for payment timely and help resolved any related issues while meeting deadlines. The successful candidate's work affects our continued relationship with vendors. It also directly impacts the integrity of Ohlone College Business Services team. Attention to detail and taking pride in generating accurate and timely work are a must.
Job Description Summary
Under the direction of the Accounting Manager, monitor College financial assets and functions including revenue, invoice processing, accounts receivable, check processing, fixed asset maintenance, sales and tax payments reporting and document preparation; assure the accuracy, authorization, receipt and approval of expenditures; calculate, assemble, match, sort, tabulate, review and post a variety of financial and statistical data; receive, review and verify a variety of accounting information.
Knowledge Skills and Abilities
- Methods, procedures and terminology used in clerical accounting
- Financial and statistical record-keeping techniques.
- Preparation, review and control of assigned
- Preparation of financial statements and comprehensive
- Data control procedures and data entry operations.
- Modern office practices, procedures and equipment.
- Operation of a computer and assigned software.
- Oral and written communication skills.
- Interpersonal skills using tact, patience and
- Mathematical principles.
- Monitor College financial assets and functions.
- Process vouchering invoices, payroll and other
- Perform a variety of complex clerical accounting duties in
support of assigned accounts and functions.
- Prepare and maintain accurate financial and statistical records
- Verify, balance and adjust assigned accounts.
- Compare numbers and detect errors efficiently.
- Reconcile, balance and audit assigned accounts.
- Assemble, organize and prepare data for records and
- Process and record accounting transactions
- Prepare and reconcile statements, ledgers, balance sheets and
other financial documents.
- Operate standard office equipment including a computer and
- Type or input data at an acceptable rate of speed.
- Understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- Meet schedules and time lines.
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Establish and maintain effective working and cooperative
relationships with others.
- Make computations with speed and accuracy.
- Monitor College financial assets and functions including
revenue, invoice processing, accounts receivable, check processing,
fixed asset maintenance, sales and tax payments reporting and
document preparation; assure the accuracy, authorization, receipt
and approval of expenditures.
- Process vouchering invoices as assigned by the position;
receive and reconcile invoices with supporting documents; assure
the accuracy of submitted information including payment amounts,
account codes, discounts and sales tax; input invoices into an
assigned database; process receipt confirmations; locate and
reconcile Purchase Orders with client information; process
- Oversee accounts receivable as assigned by the position;
process student refunds; analyze and review student accounts for
accuracy and discrepancies; create and reconcile tuition invoices;
review and research refund batch processing; calculate appropriate
tuition charges for students; communicate with students to rectify
missing or incomplete documents or payments.
- Submit payment data into an assigned database as assigned by
the position; upload and download payment plans and marketing
materials; reconcile reports and verify student account changes;
assure accurate payment schedules; initiate collections procedures
for students with outstanding balances in accordance with
applicable laws and College policies and procedures.
- Process payroll and other checks as assigned by the position;
input data into an assigned database; prepare checks for submission
and shipment; copy, fold and seal checks in envelopes; assure the
accuracy of addresses and payment information; attach related
documents including payment stubs and invoices; mail checks to
appropriate individuals and agencies.
- Prepare and submit a variety of reports related to assigned
activities; assure compliance with Education Code, GASB 35 and
other applicable laws, rules and regulations.
- Calculate, assemble, match, sort, tabulate, review and post a
variety of financial and statistical data; review, adjust and
assure accuracy of ledgers; balance, adjust and reconcile accounts;
review data for accuracy and completeness; initiate transfers as
- Receive, review and verify a variety of accounting information;
input a variety of accounting data into an assigned computer
system; initiate queries, develop spreadsheets and generate a
variety of computerized lists and reports; maintain automated
- Communicate with personnel and outside agencies to exchange
information and resolve issues or concerns; communicate with
vendors and clients to reconcile invoices, respond to inquiries,
conduct research and provide technical information regarding
payment processes and tuition charges.
- Operate a variety of office equipment including a calculator,
copier, fax machine, folding machine, date stamp machine, computer
and assigned software.
- Perform various clerical duties in support of assigned
functions as required; prepare routine correspondence; duplicate
and distribute materials.
- Attend and participate in various meetings, workshops and
conferences as assigned.
- Count and deposit miscellaneous revenue into assigned accounts;
prepare and submit applicable records and reports.
Education and Experience
Any combination equivalent to: graduation from high school supplemented by college level coursework in accounting or related field and three years clerical accounting experience
Dexterity of hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard.
Ability to read a variety of materials.
Ability to exchange information.
Sitting and standing for extended periods of time.
Lifting and carrying light objects.
Range 36 ($52,440 - $66,972 annually)
Click the link below to view the salary schedule and select the job title that matches your desired position:
Transcripts issued outside the United States require a course-by-course analysis with an equivalency statement from a certified transcript evaluation service verifying the degree equivalency to that of an accredited institution within the USA. This report must be attached with the application and submitted by the filing deadline.
HEALTH AND WELFARE BENEFITS *
1. Medical, dental, vision, life insurance, EAP and LTD
2. Membership in Public Employees' Retirement System Candidates hired on or after January 1, 2013 are subject to restrictions imposed by PEPRA)
3. Contribution to O.A.S.D.I. (Social Security)
4. Paid vacation
5. Paid sick leave
6. Paid holidays and district-paid floating personal days
7. Summer 4/10 schedule (Fridays off)
8. Longevity pay step increase based on your years of service
9. IRS Section 125 Flexible Medical Spending Plan
10. 457(b) Deferred Compensation Plan (employee contributes)
11. 403(b) Tax Shelter Annuity Plan (employee contributes)
*Benefits will be prorated for positions less than 100%
Immigration & Reform Act of 1986
Applicants selected for positions will be required to provide identification and employment eligibility as outlined in the federal "Immigration Reform & Control Act of 1986."
A multi-campus single community college district, Ohlone College is located in the southern portion of the San Francisco Bay in California; serving 12,000 students per year. The District has a main campus in the City of Fremont and a newly constructed campus in the City of Newark. Ohlone College is an ethnically diverse institution that promotes innovation and continuous improvement in departments and divisions. The College is named for the native population living in the area when Mission San Jose was founded. The Fremont campus is located just south of the historical Mission. The Newark Campus is located near Interstate 880 and emphasizes programs in health, environment, and technology.
EEO Statement Summary
The District is strongly committed to the principles of equal opportunity and to hiring qualified staff who reflect the diversity of our community. The District encourages a diverse pool of applicants and does not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, age (40 or over), medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, disability, military and veteran status, pregnancy/childbirth/breastfeeding or related medical condition or any other protected basis in any of its policies, practices, or procedures. The college encourages applications from all qualified applicants.
If you have a disability and are in need of special services, equipment, or facilities in order to apply or interview for this opening, please call the Human Resources office at: (510) 659-6088.
Conditions of Employment
Offers of employment are contingent upon Governing Board approval. Employment with Ohlone Community College is not complete or official until applicants meet all pre-employment requirements. All new employees are required to submit official transcripts and proof of freedom from tuberculosis. In addition you will be required to provide identification and employment eligibility as outlined in the federal "Immigration Reform & Control Act of 1986." Pre-employment tests and/or medical examinations may be required. Ohlone Community College does not sponsor H1B visas. Employees must sign the Oath or Affirmation of Allegiance and submit fingerprints for CA Department of Justice clearance.
To be considered for this recruitment, applicants must submitALLof the items listed below via our new on-line applicant tracking system available by visiting:
The College reserves the right to modify, rescind or re-advertise this recruitment at any time.
Required documents for this position include:
1. Current Resume
2. A cover letter
3. List of professional references including name, position, organization, phone number, email and their relationship to you. Please do not submit letters of references at this time.
4. SupplementalDiversity Question